Page: 1

Michael Ball to swap dress for circus?

CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Michael Ball to swap dress for circus?#1
Posted: 12/19/08 at 8:56am
"When Michael Ball finally gets out of his dress (in Hairspray), it may be to get into a circus ring. He’s in talks to take the title role in Cameron Mackintosh’s 2010 revival of the 1980 Broadway musical Barnum about PT Barnum, the 19th-century American showman and founder of Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

The part had previously been tipped for John Barrowman but, according to the Daily Mail, Barrowman declined because of his TV and other commitments."

What do you all think, and has anyone else heard anything about this, I think Michael Ball is incredible talented, but I do not think this part is right for him!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball to swap dress for circus?#2
Posted: 12/19/08 at 9:08am
Saw this in the mail few weeks back, he'd have to lose A LOT of weight and get very fit. But that aside I can imagine him in the role if he hits the gym
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Michael Ball to swap dress for circus?#2
Posted: 12/19/08 at 9:43am
Frankly, I think he would be great playing Barnum. The majority of the weight gain was due to playing Edna. He wanted to be more comfortable instead of wearing prosthetics as he did for Fosco.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball to swap dress for circus?#3
Posted: 12/19/08 at 9:45am
I know he used to be slim, but he has always been of big build with wide shoulders, and this is what will worry me for Barnum AND it's very easy to put weight on, not so easy to loose it!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Michael Ball to swap dress for circus?#4
Posted: 12/19/08 at 11:37pm
Its been rumored awhile now, since John Barrowman dropped out of it.
I wish Michael would do something a little better than 'Barnum', after 'Hairspray' he could do what he likes now.
Just makes me wonder what Cameron has lined up for a new production if it ever gets done. Even after any updating the show needs its still a very lame show.