Page: 1

Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets

kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#1
Posted: 12/2/08 at 12:14pm
Amazing the lengths some people will go to...
Hundreds of Fans are Duped Over Tennant's West End Debut
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#2
Posted: 12/2/08 at 5:13pm
I know the box office very well. There are 3 sets of tickets now in circulation and they have just had to issue new tickets with a new security measures to all customers! Chaos could ensue!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#2
Posted: 12/2/08 at 5:29pm
That particular telling of the story sounds very melodramatic and - I hope - wildly exaggerated. I reckon it's worth watching the RSC press page for their take (should they decide it's worth putting out their official word) then working out some kind of middle ground; I imagine that'll be as close as we can get to the full truth.

Here's hoping it goes relatively smoothly and as few people have beenn severely inconvenienced as possible, including box office staff who deserve medals for surviving September 12!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#3
Posted: 12/2/08 at 7:53pm
And this would be why all the venues on Broadway now use bar-coded tickets.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#4
Posted: 12/3/08 at 3:58pm
The only venue in London I have been to that used barcodes was the Apollo Victoria. It seemed to slow things down a bit on the way in, and caused a bit of confusion when I got my seat changed (because of leg-room), it all lit up red when I went back in!

I always wondered if counterfeit tickets was a big issue, it seems easy enough to do as there are so many styles of tickets (TKTS, ticketmaster, See, etc...) It would be easy to mimic the ticket style of the easiest one to copy (once you have worked that out)
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#5
Posted: 12/4/08 at 11:30am
Counterfeit tickets have been around the West End since the early 80s when the printing of the tickets was a much simpler business and they came in huge books.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#6
Posted: 12/4/08 at 11:40am
The Manchester Palace has been using Bar Coded tickets for awhile now, it hasn't slowed anything down and its a god send

Not only does it stamp out fakes etc but it tells the staff and managers how many people have come through the door and how many are left to show up so we always know how many latecomers etc there is so we can be fully prepared.

Technology....its a great thing
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#7
Posted: 12/4/08 at 11:48am
As far as Im aware its only on the Delfont Mackintosh tickets not the RSC printed tickets. Theres a notice on Delfont Mackintoshs website and 800 people have been contacted about picking up new tickets at the box office
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#8
Posted: 12/4/08 at 12:05pm
Yep its just at DMT. There are stories of an inside job going on and an investigation will take place.
Nothing new there may i say!
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Counterfeit Hamlet Tickets#9
Posted: 12/4/08 at 3:42pm
When I say it slowed things down it probably seemed to slow it down from a patron's point of view (me) rather than actually slowing things down.

I think it is a great idea, especially the benefit you say of knowing how many people are still to come.