Posted: 11/14/08 at 7:00am
Its a bit more expensive than I was hoping for, especially the previews
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#27
Posted: 11/14/08 at 7:06am
They don't seem to have reduced prices for previews as yet???
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#28
Posted: 11/14/08 at 7:13am
Id been hoping for reduced price previews, oh well. I guess it will be polished by the first performance being a transfer
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#29
Posted: 11/17/08 at 4:51pm
We now have a website people! Things are exciting in the West End again! re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas

Sunsety Boulevard - Official Site! YAY!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#30
Posted: 11/17/08 at 5:55pm
Nice, It will be great when things get added!
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#31
Posted: 11/18/08 at 2:03pm
Mama, you said that it was a limited run of only three months, I can't see that anywhere in advertisments etc. is this definitely the case?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#32
Posted: 11/18/08 at 4:59pm
The initial announcement regarding contracts was for 12 weeks but it's now booking well in to April.
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#33
Posted: 11/19/08 at 4:37pm
let's hope it lasts to (maybe past...) April. Looks like a brilliant production re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#34
Posted: 11/25/08 at 7:36am
I have an odd question about the show, is there any swearing etc? lol sorry, but I'm trying to get my Auntie to take me to Sunset Boulevard for Christmas, she won't take me unless it has no swearing etc. she is easily offened by that sort of thing, hence why I had to go to Spring Awakening on my own accord. So, any swearing?
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#35
Posted: 11/25/08 at 4:13pm
they use the F word once in the original version.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#36
Posted: 11/25/08 at 8:03pm
That is a good point in the original production with Patti LuPone and Kevin Anderson (whatever happened to him)? had no swearing in it.

The revised production from Los Angeles with Glen Close, the one that one all the Tony's and re-opened at the Aldelphi with Betty Buckley and John Barrowman. This production had one F in it, wonder what version they will play in London, the latter, I suspect?

Footnote, Sunset was a big hit with the critics and audience, but a cash cow, that lost a shed load of money, affectionately known as a flop-hit! Now I bet the Lord said more than one F here!!!!!
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#37
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:43am
I'll take the risk, ask her to take me and if there is the F in it, I can plea ignorant that I did not know :P
She sat through Bombay Dreams with me, and if I remember correctly that had an F or two...she also sat through Les Miz many a moon ago...
Thanks guys x
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#38
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:44am
Doe's she not have a TV?
vassey
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#39
Posted: 11/26/08 at 11:17am
Previews are now reduced - 20 off the top bands and 10 from the others. I've just had a refund back to the credit card re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#40
Posted: 11/26/08 at 11:20am
Thats really interesting. I have never heard of that before.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#41
Posted: 12/5/08 at 7:07am
Bring in the old, bring in the new!!!!!!!!

Sunset Boulevard finally opened last night, I hope to see the show which I adore and know every word of the script, seeing this show will also give me a definitive opinion on actors/musicians!

Look forward to catching the show in the next few weeks?

And hope many of you will too?
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#42
Posted: 12/5/08 at 10:30am
On Talkin' Broadway's ATC Board there are some incredibly negative reviews for this show. I must say the idea of yet another musical where the cast wanders around playing instruments while coping with their vocal and acting chores does not appeal.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#43
Posted: 12/5/08 at 2:09pm
Have any of them seen it?

I did - and can testify to the fact that the cast (possibly with one exception) can cope with their acting, vocal, movement and instrumental chores thus demonstrating considerable talent.

And Tomm Coles, as Artie Green, can crack walnuts with his thighs as well.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#44
Posted: 12/5/08 at 2:14pm
"And Tomm Coles, as Artie Green, can crack walnuts with his thighs as well."

...maybe ill have to go see this...ahem
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#45
Posted: 12/5/08 at 2:15pm
The Watermill production was amazing! And it wasn't done as the actor/musician thing as some sort of gimmick per se, but because it was the only way to produce it there at all. It is simply too tiny for anything else. And while it is only that tiny 200+ seat venue, it is also a lovely, intimate and atmospheric space with overhanging wooden balconies with ballustrades which make it seem quite medieval. It is gorgeous, and "Sunset" was a delight there. It was designed for that space, worked fantastically well, and absolutely deserved the rave reviews it got. But it may seem a different animal in the much larger 800+ seat Comedy. I won't be able to go to see the transfer myself for a few weeks, but I am just hoping it transfers well. It deserved to get a wider audience.

But in spite of the amazing Watermill "Sunset" reviews, there are still some who prefer to ignore them and who prefer to insist that everything to do with it must really have been, and will continue to be, dreadful. This is not people who have actually seen it, of course, these are just the ones who would rather cling to prejudice and presumption. And the "negative" reviews on the Talkin' Broadway board were of that order. I went to look and there was one person who apparently went to see the very first preview last night and left after half an hour??? The other "negatives" were from those who just fancied jumping on the band wagon to condemn it out of hand, because they just don't like the concept or love to hate anything Andrew Lloyd Webber for the sake of it. Is that fair, reasonable or intelligent? Errr...NO! It is rubbish thinking. There was similar here as well (again, not from anyone who had actually seen it). But intelligent people should recognise such rubbish thinking for what it is, you certainly shouldn't let yourself be influenced by it. Whatever preconceptions there are re the actor/musician thing in general, as may or may not be based on other productions, it DID work fantastically for "Sunset" at the Watermill as the reviews confirmed. So condemnation sight unseen is really inappropriate. Whether it will still work at the Comedy is another issue, but the proof of the pudding is going to have to be in the eating. And it will have to wait on what happens in practice. The second preview won't even have started yet. But proper reviews, by people who think that they should actually at least have seen something before being judgemental, will be through soon enough, with official reviews following. It might only be in respect of the first preview, but a few have appeared on Dress Circle already. And those are very good. Haven't seen anything from anyone who saw it at the Watermill as well yet, but it won't be long.
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#46
Posted: 12/7/08 at 11:25am
How bad is a front row balcony seat in this theatre? Will I be able to see everything? I would like to keep things cheap and I dont think they have a student rush, so a 12.50 ticket sounds good to me.

I am thinking of going soon. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#47
Posted: 12/7/08 at 11:28am
The Comedy has some of the worse sight lines in London. That balcony is very, very high even in a smallish theatre. The front row is regarded as restricted view.
Up to you.

Dave why not log on to theatremonkey.com -its a fab site that rates each and every seat for every show!
Updated On: 12/7/08 at 11:28 AM
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#48
Posted: 12/7/08 at 11:43am
Thanks mama! im listening to imagine this right now! I think the cd will suffice for my experience of this show. It is very pretty, but doesn't seem like something I would actually enjoy to see live.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#49
Posted: 12/8/08 at 7:40am
Im going again tomorrow night! 'Imagine This' i mean!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#50
Posted: 12/8/08 at 12:00pm
Just blogged my review.

The short: Meh. It's a good (but not great) production of a good (but not great) show.