Page: 1

High School Musical - Concert Rights?

luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
High School Musical - Concert Rights?#1
Posted: 11/3/08 at 12:07pm
Me and a friend are organizing series of HSM concerts (don't start XP) in which we will perform various songs as the 4 principals, we will be making money form these 'concerts' and I was wondering would we need to obtain some sort of performance rights? If so, where from? Hope someone can be of help :)

THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: High School Musical - Concert Rights?#2
Posted: 11/3/08 at 12:44pm
You will as the lisence is held by MTI, you can perform upto 4 songs ONLY from one show without breaking copywrite. Anymore than this and it is VERY illegal! I would be suprised if you get a lisence, it's a high demand show and it will cost you ALOT! (well alot considering how much you'll make from these rubbish songs!)
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: High School Musical - Concert Rights?#2
Posted: 11/3/08 at 7:15pm
If you are billing it as "High School Musical" the name itself is copyrighted so like 'Con' said you will need a license to bill it as "high school musical" as if you do it without a license then you will suffer....BIG TIME...

However...if you are doing it as a HSM section of a musical variety concert then all you need do is fill out the songs which you are doing on your venues PRS form which will charge you as to length and what not of the song - usually about 3% - if you don't have an official license and are doing it as part of a variety show then also you shouldn't legally be doing it in any costumes that resembles HSM -

Say for instance i wanted to do a cats excerpt i wouldn't be allowed to dress up like any character off the show of DVD...silly i know...

If you are doing HSM as a 'school performance' then you would be granted a license to perform the whole HSM show...but this can be very expensive (15% of box office gross which equates to a minimum of 91 a performance.) then you have hire material and stuff.

Hope this clears some stuff and and makes some sense
x
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: High School Musical - Concert Rights?#3
Posted: 11/3/08 at 7:24pm
Call it
'Community Centre Car Crash'
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: High School Musical - Concert Rights?#4
Posted: 11/4/08 at 12:15am
I can't hear the name "High School Musical" without remembering the night I spent a couple of weeks ago with my cousin. She just got the DVD of the first movie, and wanted me to watch it with her. I did (against my better judgment) and had to excuse myself several times to get up and actually laugh. Everytime I got up she asked where I was going. I didn't want her to think that I was having a bad time, so I told her, that I was going to get a cup of coffee. Needless to say, I had a lot of coffee during the movie.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll