Page: 1

Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?

Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?#1
Posted: 10/22/08 at 5:47pm
According to a post on Dress Circle, the Watermill production of Sunset Boulevard will open at the Comedy in December. Can anyone confirm or deny?

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?#2
Posted: 10/22/08 at 5:54pm
I know the Comedy had a mix up with shows when 'Fat Pig' moved in for an extended run and 'Calendar Girls' wanted the theatre. Now, word is that 'fat Pig' isn't filling the theatre of 800 seats as against 200 at the Trafalgar Studios and will close at the end of November! That now fits in well with what you've just posted.
I will do a bit of ringing around tomorrow!
Updated On: 10/22/08 at 05:54 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?#2
Posted: 10/23/08 at 1:01pm
'Fat Pig' is due to close 22nd Nov.
Nobody I've asked about today knows anything about 'Sunset' as yet?
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?#3
Posted: 10/25/08 at 12:44pm
Haven't seen Sunset. Doing the title song in my singing lesson, and I really love it. Would be great to see it. What was this production like? I spotted a few negatives form people on here cause of the actor/musician combination, but would a fan of it (like me) enjoy the show?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?#4
Posted: 10/25/08 at 7:55pm
I personally believe (and am willing to accept it may not hold true in every case) that quite a lot of people who come down hard on actor-musicianship see it as "OMG pretentious gimmick!" and as such only find it charming once or twice, if that. But the thing is, when it comes to the Watermill, actor-musicianship is more of a great way to get a decent-sized band into the tiny space than anything else.

I've seen three (four if we're being generous) actor-musician shows, and I'd say it worked best for 'Sunset Boulevard'. The show mainly revolves around a handful of characters, so it's less distracting for the rest of the cast to be playing instruments because they're largely just supporting the central drama anyway. It was an excellent production and I'd love to see it again.
Updated On: 10/25/08 at 07:55 PM
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?#5
Posted: 10/26/08 at 8:44am
Any criticism re the actor/musician thing in this case could only have come from presumption and ignorance. It really did work extremely well in practice for "Sunset Boulevard" at the Watermill. And the whole even got better as the run progressed. The playing both managed to be barely noticeable in respect of the story, certainly not distracting, and actively interesting as part of the ensemble sets. Norma never played anything, Joe only made a nominal show of it, and the only character for whom the actor/musician was really emphasised was Sheldrake. Great stuff!

I will certainly run and see again if/when it transfers. But I do have doubts that it will work as well in a larger space. That format was essential for the Watermill because it is simply too small to allow for dedicated musicians, let alone any sort of orchestra. And a large part of why it worked so well was the intimacy that allowed emphasis on emotions. The "orchestration" reflected that as well. It was minimalist in the extreme, where the only sound at times was a single plucked violin string picking out the tune. And that on it's own was enough to fill the space. Amazing! But would a single plucked violin string work at the Comedy which is 4+ times the size? Hmmm! In my opinion they are going to have to adapt it very considerably again anyway, and that may rather defeat the point. To some extent I am therefore quite surprised that they haven't gone the whole hog and taken it back up to a RUG theatre size space.
Updated On: 10/26/08 at 08:44 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?#6
Posted: 10/26/08 at 9:37pm
I'd love to see this come in intact from Newbury.
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunset Boulevard - Comedy Theatre?#7
Posted: 11/1/08 at 2:32pm
This was about to be relegated to the second page, so am bumping it. But the Watermill production really does indeed deserve to be kept intact if feasible.

Is it definitely to be the Comedy?

I did see elsewhere that it is supposed to be going to open in December. But it seems very late for there not to have been an official announced yet, if that's true. Is there nothing new known?