Page: 1

Richard Jones' production of Pagliacci at ENO

mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
I saw the ENO's new production of Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci at the Coliseum last night. The first opera is fine but nothing special, so posting this might seem slightly off topic. But Director Richard Jones' production of Pagliacci is absolutely brilliant, with a highly convincing updating of the story and amazing sets. In any event Pagliacci, unlike most operas, is almost more about the drama than the music, with its play within the play and the shifting balance between reality and illusion. So even if you're not an opera fan, do go see for the theatrical ingredients.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good heavens- first it's plays, now opera!

We are at risk of braining-up (opposite of dumbing-down I guess) dangerously on this board!

Next we'll abandon our all-sequin dress code!!!

:) (thanks for the review)
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And of course Richard Jones was responsible for the heavenly London Into the Woods we love so well!
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I am going to this with my class next thursday. Very excited! It sounds like a good deal of fun though I do not approve of the ENO's English policy. Regardless I am looking forward to it.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Cav and Pag'! Mu God! WNO have been throwing this around the UK for years! Yawn!
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
@mamasdoing fine: Well it's not "yawn" in this production. That was the point of my posting.You wickedboy! As devonian.t pointed out, Richard Jones has been highly esteemed in theatre and opera -I think he won an Olivier for his Into the Woods.

@dave1606 hope your class are old enough. Lee Hall's updating/translation is witty and brilliant but it does contain some F-bombs. I do hope that your class enjoys it. I've always thought Pagliacci was a real gem of an opera with a lot of theatrical value.
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
haha we are trust me...its a college class...everyone is 20 plus. But I agree. I saw a production at the met loved Pagalacci. Cav, not so much.