Page: 1

Six Characters Now Five

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Six Characters Now Five#1
Posted: 9/17/08 at 7:49am
Ian McDiarmind has taken leave from the newly opened production of 'Six Characters In Search Of An Author' after feeling unwell during Mondays opening night performance. As the performers left the stage he asked for medical attention. Performances have been taken out while the understudy gets ready and Mr McDiarmind is hoping to return late next week.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/17/08 at 07:49 AM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Six Characters Now Five#2
Posted: 9/18/08 at 8:00am
Hopefully, McDiarmid is en route to a full recovery and I do hope it's something that'll breeze over and be done with quickly and not come back to plague him in the future.

But it is interesting that they cancelled performances while preparing the understudy. What's going on there? Surely the point of an understudy is so that performances *can* continue in case of cast illness? I notice the understudies are apparently new to the West End transfer, but still.

I'm glad to see the array of good reviews for this one though; having had my head thoroughly broken by it in Chichester, it's a lot less mentally taxing the second time round, and my worries that it was a little too Chichester-specific have been allayed. It's transferred to London a little *too* well. re: Six Characters Now Five
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Six Characters Now Five#2
Posted: 9/21/08 at 7:11pm
I'm pretty sure they didnt have understudys at such a small venue as CFT Minerva but check your program for us Weez!
If thats the case then thats why the understudy wouldn't have been ready.
Not a first but very rare indeed.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Six Characters Now Five#3
Posted: 9/21/08 at 8:36pm
I did check my programmes, which is why I can say that understudies are new to the West End run, but still, it's not like they went "McDiarmid's ill! Go find me the first actor you possibly can, he's going on tomorrow". One would presume understudies do know that they are understudies and should learn the lines. :P I guess as there's only one male understudy and the Father isn't the smallest part, the extra prep time was a necessity. Ah well. ^_^