Page: 1

The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#1
Posted: 9/9/08 at 6:01am
Andrew Lloyd Webber has announced that he will not be doing another TV reality show to fund the casting of a West End Show next year, 2009. Sigh of relief!

BUT not for long....
...sit down for this guys.......
...he will be returning to the reality TV route to cast his new production of 'The Wizard Of Oz' that he is preparing for a London opening in Autumn 2010.
WHY?
WHY?
WHY?

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/9/08 at 06:01 AM
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#2
Posted: 9/9/08 at 6:31am
If that doesn't sound like cashing in on WICKED's success, I don't know what is...
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#2
Posted: 9/9/08 at 6:33am
Knighthood returned NOW!
What exactly is he doing for British theatre theses days?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#3
Posted: 9/9/08 at 6:42am
It can't be true. That man is making an epic transition from the sublime to the ridiculous... every venture seems more out of touch that the last. Soon he's going to become for theatre what Pete Waterman is for music.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#4
Posted: 9/9/08 at 7:25am
"What exactly is he doing for British theatre theses days? "

I'm trying to work that out myself. As much as I respect ALW as a producer and as a composer on many works, he seems to be doing a lot of un-respectful things lately. Most of the RUG houses are in desperate need of repair (which ALW wants the taxpayer to fund) and the production side is revival driven (admittedly its main existence IS the ALW catalogue).

Meanwhile, Cameron Mackintosh has put his own company's money into some breathtaking building renovations (the Wyndham's looks AMAZING) and his company has a fund established to provide grants to new writers in musical theatre - something I believe RUG is lacking.
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#5
Posted: 9/10/08 at 9:09am
I'm bumping this so people actually use this thread instead of feeding the absolute moron attention.

ANYWAYS, one of the only redeeming qualities of ALW's reality show is they do actually come up with reasonable talent (something the X-Factor could only dream of).

Granted there are way more talented actors actually working their way up, but at least this show gives certain shows a semi 'name' to headline without going to 'celebrities' who are unable to carry a tune.

What does annoy me about this show (and most reality searches) is that the public are total morons who have no idea of what they're voting for, they seem to favour a sob story over being suitable for the part.

Rachel would have been a great Nancy (ha..), she had more ability and suitability that most of the ladies there. But no, the public vote for Samantha because she's young and pretty who performed Defying Gravity. Naturally all the fangirls AUTOMATICALLY chose her, even though her performance was no where near good enough for that song. Cheesy grins and taking a strong stance, then walking backwards. Same routine every song.

Then Jodie, don't get me wrong, she was lovely and she probably will do a good job, but COME ON. They voted for the underdog, completely ignoring what the brief of who they were looking for.

Nancy was a teenager, she would have looked pretty plain and emotionally 'run through the mill'. Not a curvaceous 30 something that would fit in well at a cabaret night on a cruise ship.

Sheesh.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#6
Posted: 9/10/08 at 10:02am
BUT WHY "THE WIZRARD OF F*****G OZ"????
Why not 'Dreamgirls'?
Why not 'Grey Gardens'?
Why not (fill in the gap)?
Why not (fill in the gap)?
Why not any other huge show that the UK wants!
This guy has all the money any smaller producer can only dream of!
About 8 or 9 years ago he was all mouth about his new project and how it would follow 'Sunset Blvd' into the Adelphi.
That was to have been the first ever stage production of the classic Garland movie 'A Star Is Born'!!!
Now, as much as i hate the idea of reality TV and have never seen 1 second of any of them so far, doesn't the very title of that show beg out for reality TV! YES!
What does he go for? -'THE WIZARD OF F****G OZ'!

WILBUR!!! Oxygen NOW!!!
Updated On: 9/10/08 at 10:02 AM
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#7
Posted: 9/10/08 at 10:16am
I agree. What gets me about ALW is that he isn't putting his money back into theatre as a whole.

He should take a stand and support more productions, bring the West End some more original productions...not just rely on Broadway transfers.

I can see why they're doing the Wizard of Oz, its one of the most well known musicals to all generations and it most certainly is to ride on the success of Wicked....I just don't see why HE'S doing it.

It's like he's taking all the credit and money from his own shows and not investing it into new theatre, but he's fine in taking credit from other productions that he's not really putting much of his own time and money into.

Basically lots of credit, little effort and risk on his part. The public are seriously going to think ALW wrote Sound of Music, Oliver and Wizard of Oz.

I would say he should stick to his own stuff, but we all know what he came up with when he gave that a try. Phantom of the Opera 2.

+

I want Dreamgirls back. So bad.

_
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#8
Posted: 9/10/08 at 10:23am
'Dreamgirls' back!'
It was never here.

While the original was running on Broadway, no less than 4 major West End houses were measured up for a London production, The Dominion, Theatre Royal Drury Lane,
The Palladium and The Prince Of Wales- the latter being the then producers favorite theatre for the production. The planning went on and on for years but it never happened as we all know.
Thats 20 years ago- doesn't the success of the movie show that there is an audience for the original show? Lloyd Webber and Really Useful come on and make yourself 'useful'!
Updated On: 9/10/08 at 10:23 AM
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#9
Posted: 9/10/08 at 10:45am
I was meaning like, just bring Dreamgirls back into theatre! Anywhere! Well, preferably here or Broadway haha.

It's just one of those shows that is so great, but remains in a drawer for no overly clear reason.

Can you imagine how great a tv show 'searching for Effie White' would be?! Maybe not so much here, but if they were to do it in the US...it would be insane.

I'd rather they didn't, and just had a bunch of awesome talented performers...but I guess they would need a headliner for new found fans from the movie.

It just needs to come back to existence!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#10
Posted: 9/10/08 at 10:52am
NOW!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#11
Posted: 9/10/08 at 11:35am
Wickedboy, I take it Dreamgirls was going to take over from Aspects, when you were working as a manager at the said theatre?

The Lord never will cuts the mustard for me, being a producer, if it was not for the BBC,his reality shows would not of had a big box office boost!

Theatre owner, does not put money into restoration of theatres.

Composer, great done some excellent shows and more inportant influenced others, as I said on another thread, the Lord saved modern theatre.

With Jodie (and I am not a big fan) winning the latest reality show, goes to prove it was not fixed!

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#12
Posted: 9/10/08 at 11:39am
'Aspects Of Love' opened in 1989, the much hoped for original London production of 'Dreamgirls' was planned for Autumn 1983-possibly early 1984!
A long time before my time at the POW.
Updated On: 9/10/08 at 11:39 AM
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: The Wonderful Wizard Of Webber!#13
Posted: 9/12/08 at 11:02am
Whether anyone likes it or not, the reality casting thing was a fantastic marketing idea. And the first attempt with "The Sound Of Music" was a real risk. In retrospect, it seems like it wasn't, but it was! It could have been a disaster if the general public had picked someone totally inappropriate. And it wasn't a certainty then that interest would translate into actual tickets bought. It wouldn't have been repeated if it hadn't been a success. And then it worked even better with Joseph, when the winner ran away with it and even had two of the judges visibly salivating over him. They were lucky again, but if he hadn't been in the show, it might have been a different story. The concurrently run Grease equivalent didn't do as well, although expectation and early advance ticket sales indicated the reverse. And I rather think that ALW started to presume that the public could be reliably assumed to always do the right thing, so that the "Nancy" show result came as a bit of a shock in that the result was not the one they either expected or wanted. ALW could obviously be sanguine about it since it wasn't his production, albeit having hopefully learnt a lesson, but Cam Mac was purportedly livid!

But the little bit of reality casting was not a bad thing. It didn't just benefit those shows, it benefitted theatre in general. Ticket sales rose very significantly across the board. But whereas a little did good, the concept of the process being endlessly repeated and abused would have been a nightmare. So a bit of a reality check (lol!) re one result was no bad thing. If too successful, there might have been a proliferation of similar re everything on both BBC and ITV! And every year was just too much! But occasional wouldn't be so bad and it would still be generally advantageous whether anyone approves of the means or the particular show itself. I think 2010 is still too soon for the next, myself, but you can see absolutely why the rights to "A Wizard of Oz" were bought for the purpose. Reality casting has to be for a show and a character that the general public can relate to and/or understand. "Dorothy" is obviously iconic, but it is just too silly to think that it would work equally well for such as the likes of "Grey Gardens". 99.9% of the public won't ever have even heard of it! Most won't know who Jacqueline Kennedy was, let alone anything about her Bouvier relatives! I might like to think that people should be "educated" a bit, and that they should appreciate that too, but I also know that that unfortunately isn't how it works.
Updated On: 9/12/08 at 11:02 AM