Suggestions for shows to see

Bluejay2 Profile PhotoBluejay2 Profile Photo
Bluejay2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Suggestions for shows to see#1
Posted: 7/28/08 at 12:06pm
Hello everybody,
sorry for the boring topic but I really didn't know who to ask to. I'll be in London for my first time from August 10 to the 16, and I wonder what are the best musicals to see right now? there are so many thinks to choose from :). I usually like big dramas or shows where they dance a lot, but I'm open to any suggestions.
I really wanted to go to see Hairspray (I'm a fan of Michael Ball) but seems it's sold out, do you know if there's a chance that at the theater they sell the tickets althoghut there aren't anymore on the internet?
Thank you in advance, and sorry for my English, I haven't been practising it for a while.
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#2
Posted: 7/28/08 at 12:33pm
Regarding Hairspray,it wouldn't hurt to check the box office to see what they might have available. If you're traveling alone, you might be able to grab an odd single somewhere in the house. They do sell the front row seats on the day of the performance. You need to get to the theatre early to queue for tickets.

If you like dancing, I highly recommend ZORRO. It just opened at the Garrick, and features dancing, magic, swordfights, and music by the Gypsy Kings.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#2
Posted: 7/29/08 at 5:21am
I got a (single) ticket for Hairspray at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square last week. They don't do half price tickets for this particular show. Michael Ball doesn't perform on Monday evenings and when I saw it (Tuesday evening) the understudies were on for Tracy and Link.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#3
Posted: 7/29/08 at 6:19am
Hairspray is excellent.

If you want a good song/dance show, The Harder They Come has plenty of that, but it's also dialect heavy so you may have trouble understanding what's going on.

If you want THE big song/dance show, though, check out West Side Story at Sadler's Well.

I have to second the recommendation for Zorro if you're looking for spectacle. With Lord of the Rings gone, this is the popcorn movie on stage for you.

Billy Elliot is another big spectacular crowd pleaser. Buddy is smaller, but the cast are great at the moment and if you like the music you'll love the show (same with Jersey Boys).
Bluejay2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Suggestions for shows to see#4
Posted: 7/30/08 at 7:57am
Thanks everybody for all the wonderful suggestions, I wish I could go and see everything, but unluckyly the friend who's coming with me isn't intresting in musical as much as I am, and wants to actually visit London re: Suggestions for shows to see

I think I'll try to find a ticket for Hairspray, won't hurt trying :)

Zorro is pretty intresting, we don't get so many "popcorn movie on stage" (I like this definition) in Italy, and it would be cool to see one :).

I would like to see Billy Elliot, I really like the story and the songs, and it's a show that would never come over here

Well, just one last question, is stage dooring common in London? I wouldn't want to do anything that is consider rude
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#5
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:10pm
Well, you'll have all day to see London, and nights for the theatre! re: Suggestions for shows to see

Stage-dooring seems to be a common thing these days both in NY and London. The Hairspray stage door can be a bit hectic with young people trying to meet Ben James-Ellis and older people trying to see Michael. re: Suggestions for shows to see Just remember, Michael doesn't perform on Monday nights.

On a non-theatre issue, be sure to do at least one London Walks on your visit. They are great fun, and very interesting. Link below.

Enjoy your visit -- be sure to let us know what you see and how you enjoyed it!

London Walks
Updated On: 7/30/08 at 01:10 PM
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Suggestions for shows to see#6
Posted: 7/30/08 at 4:29pm
I popped into the box office early afternoon way back in May, and grabbed a front row day ticket for 25 quid. I was chuffed, especially seeing as all the 'half price' supposed booths in Leicster Square were trying to charge me 70.

With most things in London, do the research because what is initially offered may not be the best solution.

Oh and keep hold of your Underground tickets...I don't think there has been a single visit that I haven't lost it at least once.

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#7
Posted: 7/30/08 at 6:44pm
DONT DO HALF PRICE TICKET BOOTHS EXCEPT THE BIG ONE RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF LEICESTER SQ! If you go to the others and get ripped off then i will happily laugh in your face!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Suggestions for shows to see#8
Posted: 7/31/08 at 8:55am
If you like dance go to into the hoods.
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Suggestions for shows to see#9
Posted: 7/31/08 at 9:17am
I am urging people to see Zorro. A colleague and I were packed off to the press night and we were desperately trying to come up with excuses to not go (suicide came into it) but it was one of the best surprises I have had in London. The whole thing is just brilliant and I was gutted when it finished. Oddly enough, I'm going again tonight.

Catch it while you can... it's on at the Garrick so it probably won't be on for long.
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Suggestions for shows to see#10
Posted: 7/31/08 at 4:27pm
Go see Hairspray.

With the cast they have at the moment, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Everything in life...is only for now.
brad3 Profile Photobrad3 Profile Photo
brad3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Suggestions for shows to see#11
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:04pm
Mamma Mia!
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
re: Suggestions for shows to see#12
Posted: 8/2/08 at 2:47am
According to an interview this weekend Michael Ball has confirmed he's staying on as Edna until next year. Can't say I'm that suprised, I'd be more suprised if he left in October.
aka Ria
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#13
Posted: 8/2/08 at 5:52am
Then he will be on a fortune and good for him! For a name like him to stay with a show more than a year after opening is unheard of today. Brilliant news for the show and that could be the reason there's been no buzz about a replacement -the replacement would start work soon to take over mid October!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
re: Suggestions for shows to see#14
Posted: 8/2/08 at 6:26am
aka Ria
Updated On: 8/2/08 at 06:26 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#15
Posted: 8/2/08 at 6:46am
'Theyre Playing Our song' -Menier Chocolate Factory Theatre
Saw it last night- rather fantastic!
Stars Connie Francis from 'How Do You solve A Problem Like Maria?' the TV reality show. She has a stunning voice for this production.
Bluejay2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Suggestions for shows to see#16
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:33am
Thanks to everybody one again, after all these suggestions I can't wait to be there!only 8 days to go!

Wickedboy I'll follow your advice for the tickets, I surely don't want to get rip-off :)

Toanythingtaboo2 I'll hold to the metro ticket as best as I can :)

Kec thanks for the link, the Londono Walk seems intresting, I just have to ask my friend if is intrested in them too, let's keep fingers crossed.

About the stage dooring...well, I'll probably be the only young girl there trying to meet Michael re: Suggestions for shows to see
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#17
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:43am
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT BE TEMPTED BY THE OTHERS! ITS THE THEATRE ITSELF OR THE BIG BOOTH AT THE BOTTOM OF LEICESTER SQ BY THE HOTEL.

Enjoy! x
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#18
Posted: 8/2/08 at 7:46am
Seeing 'Zorro' today! cant believe its taken me this long and I am so looking forward to it!
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#19
Posted: 8/2/08 at 5:38pm
WickedBoy -- Connie Francis?!?!? I think you mean Connie FISHER... re: Suggestions for shows to see

I wait with bated breath to read your Zorro report re: Suggestions for shows to see

Bluejay, the nice thing about the London Walks is that there are different walks to suit all tastes. The most popular one is the Jack the Ripper Walk, which is done most every night (Be sure to go on the nights that Donald Rumbelow guides the walk -- he's excellent).

Also, trust me, you won't be the only young girl there for Michael. He has fans of all ages. re: Suggestions for shows to see
marieclarksin5
Swing
Swing
re: Suggestions for shows to see#20
Posted: 8/3/08 at 1:44am
i agree on hairspray!
Bluejay2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Suggestions for shows to see#21
Posted: 8/8/08 at 1:07pm
Thanks again eveybody, I wrote down on my agenda all your suggestions, hurray a little more than 24 hours and I'll finally be in London
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Suggestions for shows to see#22
Posted: 8/8/08 at 8:41pm
Have a great trip, Bluejay, and be sure to give us a full report upon your return!!! re: Suggestions for shows to see
Bluejay2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Suggestions for shows to see#23
Posted: 8/18/08 at 4:29pm
Back in old boring Italy!
well, first thing thanks for all your suggestions, they were really usefull.
Unluckly I couldn't see all the shows that I wanted, but I actually got a chance to see Hairspray and I loved every second of it!
I started to get excited first thing in the morning when I went to the theater for beg for the tickets re: Suggestions for shows to see and I saw people staying in line althought it was pretty early, it means that I'm not the only one to love musical in the world re: Suggestions for shows to see. Well, I really enjoyed the show, expecially I loved the live music (in Italy almost all musicals use recorded music re: Suggestions for shows to see ), everybody was great, I really loved Michael e the actor who played Wilbour (sorry I don't remember the name), during "You're timeless to me" they started to laught so much, it was hilarius.
I actually got a chance to meet Michael, and I was able to almost contain my joy and being able to say something in a decent English (although I'll never write what I said, it was way to cheesy re: Suggestions for shows to see ). It was so weird seeing so many people at the stage door, usually over here there aren't so many.
Well besides theater I loved everything of London, unluckly I dind't go to the London Walks because I had too many blisters, but I'll do it the next time. Yup, I'm already planning my next trip there, and next time it's really going to be just theater, you've to many great shows to see, you're really lucky!
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Suggestions for shows to see#24
Posted: 8/18/08 at 4:58pm
Ian Talbot plays the role of Wilbur.

Glad you enjoyed! :)
Everything in life...is only for now.