Hugh Jackman - Barnum

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hugh Jackman - Barnum#1
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:47pm
Mmm, interesting :)
Hope he is involved, I think he is fab for the part :)
https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=29240
Updated On: 6/24/08 at 03:47 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#2
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:50pm
Why would Barrowman prefer Phantom 2- it's a trite, crass, commercial, ego-driven project... oh wait.
Fan2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#2
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:38pm
Doubt if this is true - around last month there was news that while Hugh was filming "Wolverine" in Sydney, his wife took their son to NYC to register him for school (which starts in September). So I expect a move back to NYC very soon - perhaps something on Broadway will pop up (rumored "A Star is Born" per Michael Reidel?).
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#3
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:53pm
It's all reminiscent of the jostling and bidding for Michael Ball and Colm Wilkinson when Les Mis and Phantom were first being cast! Look who won that time.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#4
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:55pm
Hugh Jackman is a VERY busy boy. If Mackintosh wants him, he's got quite a while to wait.

Besides, if Barrowman goes to 'Phantom 2', I'm going to have to see it, and I REALLY don't want that. ;_;
Trap-Door Lover Profile PhotoTrap-Door Lover Profile Photo
Trap-Door Lover
Understudy
Understudy
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#5
Posted: 6/24/08 at 9:30pm
Oooo. I hope he does it! He would be perfect with this role! If he could nail the comedic timing and acrobatics (and they had a good Charity), this really could be awesome. This is such a good show already.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#6
Posted: 6/25/08 at 3:17am
As Weez mentioned, he will will be far too busy to commit to this in London. The producers of 'The Boy From Oz' had enough trouble getting the 11 months out of him on Broadway. He IS the perfect one choice tho.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#7
Posted: 6/25/08 at 3:30am
I feel a reality TV show coming on!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#8
Posted: 6/25/08 at 4:08am
'Come Follow The Band'
'Join The CIrcus'
God Help Us!!!!!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#9
Posted: 6/25/08 at 9:11am
hes so much better than this show
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#10
Posted: 6/25/08 at 9:14am
Exactly!

Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#11
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:11pm
When I saw this at the Palladium the audience thought they were going to see an elephant during the Tom Thumb song. When the concertina cardboard legs came down from the flies there were groans of disappointment.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#12
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:16pm
Hahahaha!
I was at the first preview of 'Barnum' at the Palladium and it was only half full but what i remember most of all was its producer, the legendary Harold Fielding, shouting at the stage from about 1/3 of the way back in the stalls '"speed it up, speed it up for christs sake'. He had walked almost halfway down the aisle in total frustration at what was on stage!
Updated On: 6/25/08 at 01:16 PM
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#13
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:21pm
He must have had problems with overlong previews as well. Didn't he produce Gone With The Wind 1972?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#14
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:24pm
Yes he did but he has the most amazing list of stunning shows he staged in London. God bless him!
It took another showman to kill him off! (Zeigfeld!!!!!)
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#15
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:40pm
I know he did the wonderful London production of On The Twentieth Century - no problems with speed there. Sounds like you hold him in great respect Wicked.

I think he produced The Biograph Girl and Peg of My Heart both of which I also saw.
Updated On: 6/25/08 at 01:40 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#16
Posted: 6/25/08 at 1:53pm
He was one of this country's greatest, a real 'showmen' -simple as that yes! He staged his shows with a passion very rarely seen then or today and that Cameron only has in his dreams.

Wasn't 'Peg' fab- the wonderful Ann Morrision from the original Broadway 'Merrily We Roll Along' on our West End stage! That wonderful number she had 'Manhattan Hometown'! (6 weeks at the Phoenix)
'The Biograph Girl' was something special too- shame it got taken off before its time-barely 5 weeks, again at the Phoenix!. Never again performed anywhere else. It starred the wonderful Sheila White who was, later, to marry the impressario Richard M Mills and to star in 'Little Me' at the Prince Of Wales and play Sonia opposite Bobby Crush in the only UK production outside London of 'They're Playing Our Song'.
Harold Fielding- a very small unimposing man - looked like Harry Worth -they don't make em like that any more!

Updated On: 6/25/08 at 01:53 PM
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#17
Posted: 6/25/08 at 2:36pm
"He staged his shows with a passion very rarely seen then or today and that Cameron only has in his dreams."

Interesting! I would have thought Cameron was the only direct comparison but apparently not.

Yep - I can remember Ann singing Manhattan Hometown with a twinkly New York skyline behind her. And the late great Martin Smith trying to look inconsequential behind those specs. Julia Sutton was one of the staff and Sian Phillips was being haughty - didn't she and Ann appear to fire fireworks at each other during their showdown? There was a car for them to ride across stage in too. I've still got the souvenir brochure - it was a gem.

The Biograph Girl had some great songs bit felt a bit like a guided studio tour. I also saw Shiela White in Little Me but didn't see the tour of Song.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#18
Posted: 6/25/08 at 6:05pm
Harold Fielding had guts and loved to gamble. As Wickedboy said, he broke the bank and his own spirit with Ziegfeld.

It is a widely derided production, but the creative team were trying something very honest- to put on an old-time musical spectacular. I remember as being not much more than a kid, watching Michael Reed an Fielding at the back of the stalls, staring at the stage with nothing other than deep dismay on their faces. Even at that age, I realized how much it hurt them.

As Wicked said, their is no comparison. Ask yourself, what risky venture has Cameron backed in living memory? Revival upon revival, a cheap Tony-winning chamber musical and Mary Poppins... well.

The few times he backed something that looked vaguely like it could be uncommercial were probably 'Cats' (though it had a very established composer), or possibly 'Moby Dick', though everyone was saying after the try-out in Oxford that it was a sure-fire hit for the West End. Just because 'Martin Guerre' flopped doesn't mean everyone didn't think it was sure-fire after 'Les Mis' and 'Miss Saigon'.

As an artist, he's nowhere near as bold as Fielding or even David Merrick. Still, he's good at marketing.
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#19
Posted: 6/26/08 at 10:27am
Well John Barrowman as Barnum might not have been official, but he was unofficially definitely doing it. If there has been a change, it has been through fallout after the "I'd do anything" show. There have since been reports that Cameron Mackintosh threw some major wobblies because he was unhappy with the result, and apparently even wanted the BBC to falsify/fix the voting. And JB has been reported to have since told fans that he was personally so offended by whatever rows there were, that he has backed out of Barnum as a result.

Rumours now re the likes of High Jackman are rather backing that story up. John Barrowman was obvious first choice. If it hadn't been largely intended to benefit as opening as a vehicle for him, I don't it would necessarily have been intended to be revived at this time at all. And if he really has backed out, they have to find someone on a par in terms of ticket selling capacity or change their plans.
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#20
Posted: 6/26/08 at 2:04pm
>>>It's all reminiscent of the jostling and bidding for Michael Ball and Colm Wilkinson when Les Mis and Phantom were first being cast! Look who won that time.<<<

Sorry, but Michael Ball was in his early to mid-20's when Les Mis was cast. He was fairly unknown although he was singing the role of Frederick in PIRATES OF PENZANCE in Manchester at that time. Trevor Nunn and Cameron Mackintosh came to see him and he was cast practically on the spot for the juvenile lead of Marius. I doubt that he would have been ready for the role of Valjean. Many, many years later though, Cameron Mackintosh talked to him again, this time to persuade him to sing the role of Valjean in the special concert at Windsor Castle for the Queen and French President Chirac.

He was cast as Raoul to replace the late Steve Barton who was going to Broadway with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. That was after his stint in Les Miserables...which would put him still in his mid-20's, still too young to do the role of the Phantom. After that, his signature role in ASPECTS OF LOVE came along, where he ages from 17 to 34, which was somewhat more age appropriate as he was in his late 20's. He would also go to Broadway with the same role.
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#21
Posted: 6/26/08 at 2:11pm
Both sides of the pond seem to have Hugh Jackman on their wish lists! And maybe even Sydney,too, if he had chosen to stay further in Australia ( he has completed two major motion pictures in the last 15 months in Australia - Luhrmann's AUSTRALIA co-starring Nicole Kidman and WOLVERINE co-starring Broadway and Hollywood actor Liev Schreiber).

While he has said that he wants a dual career in film and theatre, it is hard to say whether he can again commit to a long period for the theatre.

I'd rather that he does a movie musical first re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum

Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#22
Posted: 6/26/08 at 2:18pm
jo - I'm presuming they actually meant Michael Crawford. It'd make a lot more sense, seeing as both Wilkinson and Ball went into 'Les Mis' and 'Phantom' had nothing to do with 'em (at that time anyway).
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#23
Posted: 6/27/08 at 5:08pm
Thanks for the posts about Harold Fielding. I really do see where you're both coming from now. And you're right!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hugh Jackman - Barnum#24
Posted: 6/28/08 at 9:29am
Sorry, just catching up on last week's chat.

No, Colm Wilkinson was considered to play the Phantom, (as evidenced by his stint in Canada). This was before MC was in the frame. (There's something in the back of my mind about the length of the contract with Colm W, but I wouldn't swear to that). Likewise, Michael Ball was courted for Raoul before they settled on Steve Barton.

So, both Michael Ball and Colm Wilkinson were approached for Phantom, but both opted for Les Mis. I was there at the time, so to speak, so I do know how old Michael Ball was :)