Page: 1

The Oliver Con

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Oliver Con#1
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:42pm
Funny how its the performances with the weakest ticket sales!! Plus Nancy is hardly the most demanding role on stage, they should be able to do 8 shows a week!!

Performance Schedule Nancy & Oliver

As performances do not commence until 12 December, we do not yet have a full confirmed performance schedule for Nancy and Oliver.
Taken from See Tickets and the Oliver official website.

Due to licensing issues we cannot decide which Oliver will perform until shortly before the performance starts.

Sickness and holiday permitting, we have decided that the winning Nancy is scheduled to perform on Monday and Tuesday evenings, Wednesday matinees and Friday evenings. Until the show opens in December we cannot make a final decision on any additional performances

Updated On: 5/31/08 at 05:42 PM
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: The Oliver Con#2
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:45pm
Does anyone else smell a rat here?
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#2
Posted: 6/1/08 at 4:19am
Rumour is that Rachel will cover the performances Jodie's not on for.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#3
Posted: 6/1/08 at 7:46am
That seems very strange :S. There are going to be alot of unhappy people if this is true. The winner not performing even one show on Saturday? Thats mad!
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#4
Posted: 6/1/08 at 8:51am
Lee performs every show right?
Then why should'nt Jodie?
Sally Dexter did
every show, so did
every other Nancy in London.
That's really quite stupid,
Nancy is not the most demanding
part on stage, she should
be able to do them all
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#5
Posted: 6/1/08 at 10:51am
oh come on!!!

They are casting a nobody from some tacky reality show who has never done a long demanding run of a show and people are scratching their heads asking "why is she not doing all performances"

Connie could not sustain 8 shows a week, and the only reason Lee can is because he has done long runs before.

Not only is the new nancy going to be thrown on to a west end stage as Mackintosh counts the cash he will make from her but she is going to be pushed to do countless press junkets etc

Are you really that surprised she wont do all performances ??

If you want to get mad........STOP WATCHING THESE TACKY REALITY CASTING SHOWS!
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
jackson992
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Oliver Con#6
Posted: 6/1/08 at 3:41pm
These reality shows are great. Joseph was phenomenal as was I'd Do Anything and Grease.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#7
Posted: 6/1/08 at 3:47pm
oh come on, give it a rest

Its a bloody awful way of casting shows
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: The Oliver Con#8
Posted: 6/1/08 at 4:29pm
I think they're starting to fizzle out now, viewer ratings are down etc.
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: The Oliver Con#9
Posted: 6/1/08 at 5:44pm
yes, they are bad ways of casting shows, but that doesnt mean that they aren't entertaining!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#10
Posted: 6/1/08 at 7:31pm
Thats just it....there not

The few times i have tuned in to watch one of them i have found them dull.
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: The Oliver Con#11
Posted: 6/1/08 at 8:45pm
This one hasn't been as bigger success at all. I don't think it was so thought out.

Finding an "oliver!" was a bad idea and never really took off... they should have found a dodger and a nancy together - they sing "I'd Do Anything" anyway.

Barry Humphies on the panel was stupid- Why wasn't Cameron there? or someone else. ALW tried to hard to be nasty and didn't really give any advice.

I don't think the production will sell off the back of this TV show as they hoped. Also, it dosent actually start until December.. X Factor, Strictly etc will have come on by then so when the show opens its will be "who won that show?"
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: The Oliver Con#12
Posted: 6/1/08 at 9:49pm
The website now says Jodie will be doing both Saturday shows as well.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#13
Posted: 6/2/08 at 7:14am
If this is true then it's a real slap in the face for Jodie immediately after her victory. How disrespectful and cruel! Not just to Jodie but the voters as well. If the producers didn't think she was up to 8 shows a week they shouldn't have let her get that far.

I did enjoy these programmes but I can now see that it's a poor way of casting a show and totally unfair on both the contestants and other trained theatre performers. I hope they fizzle out now.
Updated On: 6/2/08 at 07:14 AM
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#14
Posted: 6/2/08 at 7:19am
Theses TV shows are setting a very low standard here. The fact that from the outset they know that the winner will not be performing all 8 shows a week and that the part could possibly be shared by 3 actresses says it all. What happened to the training given years ago that actress's would get to sustain a full 8 shows for a years contract. Sharing roles wasnt heard of in the past. The very fact that a theatre has to list a performance schedule for a performer speaks millions. All leading ladies took all performances This has only started happening recently and is almost being encouraged by these talentless talent shows! Exceptions were tough roles like Evita and a few others.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 6/2/08 at 07:19 AM
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Oliver Con#15
Posted: 6/2/08 at 7:40am
Elaine Paige has been sharing her parts for years (if you get my meaning!)

I agree it is odd that Jodi wont be playing the 8 shows - at this stage, though she might well do as she gets closer to the opening night. There is a good 6 months this time to get her to that stage - though as we all know 8 shows is a tough call and you train for years in terms of stamina to pull that off.

Though I can see the opening week with Jodi doing press night, followed by Jessie and Rachael sharing the other nights. I think for the press night they should have all three young lads playing Oliver and three Nancys. Much more fun!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#16
Posted: 6/2/08 at 8:06am
You can understand the parts that Elaine Paige takes to have it in her contract to not do midweek matinnes (in Evita she only skipped the Weds matinee!) due to the demand of a show.
BUT Nancy isn't that big a part to start with. I toured in 'Oliver' in Camerons original original production back in the 80s and Helen Shapiro who played Nancy never missed a performance or let the part get her down in 14 weeks in 12 cities. She wasn't even theatre trained -just a chart topper, pop singer from the 60s!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Oliver Con#17
Posted: 6/2/08 at 8:13am
Again I agree with you - Nancy is a very small part indeed compared to some of the ones that EP takes! Eight performances shouldn't be too hard in that role. How far into act 2 is she clubbed to death? I forget now.

Good-old HP, how was she to work with - sounds like she could do it !
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#18
Posted: 6/2/08 at 8:24am
Its a good way in, its at that point that the show takes a dark turn and gets serious.
Helen Shapiro was a darling to work with and a fantastic Nancy. You sound like you know her stuff- so, now imagine that wonderful gravely voice belting out 'As Long As He Needs Me' -brought the house down and she cried on stage every night and then belted that last line out. Amazing performance.
She was only meant to do the West End for 6 months but she had such a great time that she mentioned she wouldn't mind doing the tour and they jumped at the chance. If i remember the tour was extended by a few weeks once her name was on it.
Roy Hudd and Roy Dotrice were her Fagins.
The last time that production was seen was for a Christmas season at the Aldwych in the very early 90s.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Oliver Con#19
Posted: 6/2/08 at 8:37am
I do know her stuff - and am imagining her voice at the moment. She'd have sounded great hitting those numbers. Roys Hudd and Dortrice were also very good casting. I know Hudds work better and I'm sure he brought some musical-hall techniques to it!

Wish I'd seen itx
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Oliver Con#20
Posted: 6/2/08 at 8:50am
...and it had the best set ever! The sean Kenny revolve that set standards for set design.
theatrejoe Profile Phototheatrejoe Profile Photo
theatrejoe
Understudy
Understudy
re: The Oliver Con#21
Posted: 6/2/08 at 11:16am
Hey, so, out of interest Wickedboy2, were you a member of the company or did you work backstage? I'd love to hear more about this if you've got any tales to tell, as I have never seen the original set design, only the revival. So, yes, I'd love to hear some more about the production. Thanks, Joe