GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#1
Posted: 4/9/08 at 7:26am
GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!

Ben Elton has just confirmed he is to do the book of "Phantom Of Manhattan'!
This just proves what is being said on a different thread about the dire state of new work in the West End. Not long after it gets to Broadway it will wind its way over to torture the West End!
What is Lloyd Webber on at the moment? he's really sinking low with all his recent ventures!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 4/9/08 at 07:26 AM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#2
Posted: 4/9/08 at 4:50pm
Could not agree more, Ben Elton is very talented writer - but the Phantom 2 is not for him, a serious musical come on.

I got excited with the possibility of a Webber - Rice partnership as rumoured, but to no avail.

Why not go for Charles Hart again? Has Charles done anything since Phantom and Aspects or did he take early retirement?
Mood_Indigo
Understudy
Understudy
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#2
Posted: 4/9/08 at 7:47pm
"after it gets to Broadway it will wind its way over to torture the West End!"

Actually it's opening on West End first.
philly03 Profile Photophilly03 Profile Photo
philly03
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#3
Posted: 4/9/08 at 8:28pm
""after it gets to Broadway it will wind its way over to torture the West End!"

Actually it's opening on West End first. "

I don't know about that! It seems to be flip-flopping. Originally it was all New York first, but it seems of a more probable London opening..but it is "The Phantom of MANHATTAN". My guess is it's going to be like Miss Saigon,...where ever they can get the theatre they want first. And it looks like it's for only the few times that it might be easier to get a theatre in NY. Well, who knows. I hope it debuts here (NY) first!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#4
Posted: 4/10/08 at 3:18am
I don't think he is that great a theatre writer, who can remember TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT?
BrassBandBoy
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#5
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:28am
I just cannot believe this horrible project is actually still on...

Surely, there must be more interesting material around to write a musical about, right?
We have to burn our past behind us - and YOU are the first one I'm going to burn!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#6
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:35am
Broadway first! I'm not posting this for fun you know!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 4/10/08 at 04:35 AM
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#7
Posted: 4/10/08 at 9:21am
my friend told me that ALW had the whole score on his PC
and his cat walked across the keyboard and deleted it all!
lol!!! if this actually happened, i hope this means it won't go ahead,
this whole idea is musical suicide in itself
POTO is a very good show anyway
surely a sequel would just draw attention from the perfeectly good original production
and end up closing it, whilst the dreaded sequel continues to live on!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#8
Posted: 4/11/08 at 10:20am
atleast that book cover is better than the version i have
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#9
Posted: 4/11/08 at 11:00pm
I was under the impression that Webber's grand idea with this show is that he would have it open in NYC. So that both this and the original Phantom could be playing at the same time and then he would bring it to London.

I remember his logic for the show opening in NYC first is that the original Phantom opened in London first so he wanted to give NYC the sequel.

I can tell that this is a bad idea when there are cast members from the current Phantom who HATE the idea of this musical coming to life.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#10
Posted: 4/12/08 at 9:36am
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!

Oh dear! There's that white glove again!

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#11
Posted: 4/12/08 at 9:48am
And for good reason! This is A DOG of a project!

Still, with any luck, appalling U.S. reviews will prevent a transfer ever landing over here, unless his vanity truly has spiralled out of control!

Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#12
Posted: 4/20/08 at 12:35am
West End...An article in the Mirror on March 28 said this:

...Beeb bosses look out. Michael Grade is trying to pick a pocket or two. He wants Oliver! boss Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber to move over to ITV.

The Lord tells me: "Michael came up to me at a dinner party the other day and asked if I wanted to do something with him. I own the rights to some musicals that would be fantastic for TV which I can't do on the BBC.

"One I would really like to do would be Jesus Christ Superstar. I think that could be really spectacular."

Lloyd Webber is currently working on Oliver! showcase I'd Do Anything on BBC AND IS ALSO PUTTING THE FINISHING TOUCHESl TO A SEQUEL TO THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA WHICH HE SAYS COULD BE ON STAGE IN THE WEST END BY OCTOBER 2009....

[Caps mine]

MIRROR ARTICLE
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#13
Posted: 4/20/08 at 5:10am
Is it meant to close the original show in London so that the sequel may play at Her Majesty's Theatre?
Is the book any good?
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
BrassBandBoy
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#14
Posted: 4/21/08 at 7:42am
I sure hope they are not going to replace the original by this 'thing'...

If you mean the book the show will be based on: it's very weak indeed.
I mean, Come on, Christine and Raoul have a son who just happens to be a musical genius, just like the Phantom. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to catch that side-story... :-s
We have to burn our past behind us - and YOU are the first one I'm going to burn!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#15
Posted: 4/21/08 at 7:46am
and they live in Coney Island lol lol hahaha
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#16
Posted: 4/21/08 at 10:50am
Is that Coney Island or Canvey Island? lol,

Why would ALW want to open a show in New York first? London Theatres make more money and the critics are not so harsh a bad review would not break a show like it does in New York!
autopilot2
Understudy
Understudy
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#17
Posted: 4/21/08 at 6:57pm
I don't know if it's true but the irony of Phantom 2 being killed by a Cat(s).

Jesus Christ!

That my friends is irony!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GOD SAVE US........FROM ELTON!#18
Posted: 4/21/08 at 7:41pm
'CATS' kills 'PHANTOM'! Heavenly!