Page: 1

Moon around the Ring

Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Moon around the Ring#1
Posted: 3/13/08 at 6:30pm
I went to see Ring Round The Moon last week and can't really say anything that the reviews haven't said already (good cast, dated play) other than Jason Carr's background music was lovely. I understand this was one of the plays that Sondheim was considering using as the basis for what was to become A Little Night Music but settled on Smiles of a Summer Night instead. Perhaps if Jason Carr and Sean Mathias had taken up where Sondheim left off things may have fared better?
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moon around the Ring#2
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:01pm
Ring around the moon is a play that is VERY near and dear to my heart. It was the first play I was in when I was in my first year of high school.

I played Romainville and had a ton of fun doing it. The only difference between the production I was in and most standard productions is that the roles of both Hugo and Fredrick were played by two different actors.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moon around the Ring#2
Posted: 3/14/08 at 6:54pm
I enjoyed the first two acts and was wondering what the critics had complained about but then the third act seemed contrived and unconvincing. I also found the writing of Messerschmann in the third act a bit stereotypical, cliched and tiresome.

There were some very good performances from a solid cast of West End stalwarts but the production has been given minimal marketing, none of the cast were given their names above the title and with luke-warm reviews the production has posted its closing notice fairly quickly.

I'm not sure of it would have fared better with two actors playing the twins, as the audience did seem to enjoy the knowing winks from the actors when the twins were expected to appear onstage at the same time.