Page: 1

Hey! Everyone knows its not 'Mary Poppins'!! Yes/ No?

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey! Everyone knows its not 'Mary Poppins'!!  Yes/ No?

What do you make of this folks?

'It is billed as a gripping tale of betrayal, butchery and blood.
But for hardened horror film fans flocking to see the blockbuster movie 'Sweeney Todd' thee is one surprise they never saw coming- ITS A MUSICAL!!!!!!
So shocked have some cinemagoers been to see lead character Johnny Depp burst into song within the first few seconds that they have been walking out of the cinema.
They claim that adverts and trailers released to promote the Tim Burton directed movie about the Demon Barber Of Fleet Street have been edited to give no hint that its almost entirely sung.
Instead it shows the lead actors -Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, and Sacha Baron Cohen- delivering the sparse handful of spoken lines that appear in the film.
Such is the strength of feeling there have been calls for Trading Standards and Advertising Standards Agency to investigate. Richard Brunton who runs the website Fiilmstalker, believes thestudio has played down the movies overwhelmingly musical content because of fears that it will put off the punters.
'When the UK trailer came out there was nothing in it that pointed it out as being a musical,' he said. 'I would say the advertising has been blatantly misleading and i assume that the feeling was that less people would pay to see a musical so it would be better to sell it as a horror movie.'
American movie magazine Entertainment Weekly added' The commercials that hide the singing are crafty enough that they might lure a good number unsuspecting folks. Most people dont take kindly to being tricked'
Journalist- Tom Rawstorne

Do people not check out what they are going to see before parting with hard earned cash??
Whatcha think................

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 2/5/08 at 05:00 PM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
same thing happened in America, they just dont learn from their mistakes.

Th exact same thing happened with Rent, so any complaints were made about the trailer been misleading that the head of marketing for Revolution was sacked
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I love musicals and hate that they aren't promoted as musicals. There were some people in the audience when i first saw Hairspray and I don't think they'd have been there if they knew (not sure why they stayed but their actions caused me to leave).

I saw Sweeney Todd at the local independent cinema - there is a more educated level of cinema goer there, they knew what they were getting
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What were the actions that made YOU leave?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Well The people were misbehaving and throwing things about, they threw 2 bottles and one hit me in the head. The staff had a look but couldn't see who it was (it was pretty empty and they would have moved as soon as I left).

Not very nice.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In New York I saw it at the same cinema that they had the NYC debut in. And, the reaction was that mos people were there because they were fans of Deep or fans of the musical. And the ones who were Burton/ Deep fans knew going in that it was going to be a musical but they really didn't care so long as it was a deep/burton musical/movie.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cinema trailers misleading people? Never! I saw the trailer for The Golden Compass and it looked really good. However, the film was crap.

Can I sue?

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 2/6/08 at 04:23 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember when I saw CHICAGO groans coming from some members of the audience when the actors started to sing. (How could they not know it was a musical?). When I saw DREAMGIRLS there were a few walkouts. I don't think the audience I saw TODD with really embraced it.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The problem i have is, why make a musical if your fearful of promoting it as one??? which is obviously the case.

Dreamgirls and Hairspray both did well as they openly sang (couldnt resist) about the fact they were musical movies.

Sweeney has failed at the box office because in america after its 1 st weekend people were telling their friends to avoid the film as it was a musical.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would hardly say it has failed. It has already taken in $98 Million at the worldwide box office so has probably made back its investment.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The studio said the film had to make 3 times its production costs back (thats $150 million) because the ad campaign etc etc etc

heatherr
Understudy
Understudy
It was on the news a couple of weeks ago. Although I didn't see it, my Dad told me that the producer was interviewed, and he said they did it on purpose. They knew people would be less likely to see it if they knew it was a musical, so they decided to downplay it a bit.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well it probably won't make that from just the cinema release but i bet the soundtrack is selling pretty good and also the DVD will do good business when it comes out.

3 times as much as the budget? i thought it was normally just double.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No its the budget x2, and sweeney had a MASSIVE ad campaign

It will def do well on dvd but the CD sales dont go to the studio
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In the states the one of the major previews that they showed in the States, had Deep sing a small bit of Epiphany.

At least stateside the producers tried to market it more as a Deep/ Burton movie rather then a movie musical because that Deep/Burton approach would do better at the box office.

However, what did end up happening was that people went in and were upset. Only because they expected a Deep/Burton movie. Not a movie musical. Which are two totally different things.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I do think the trailers were misleading to those who know nothing about musical theatre. And a deliberate attempt to misrepresent a product may well be liable to prosecution. Sure, a great trailer can misrepresent a crap film, but that may well be down to individual taste- I hate National Treasure, but I'm sure some bozos love it. But to intentionally hide the fact that a film is in musical format could be considered deceptive, I guess.

Remember, there are a frightening number of ignorant people out there, so no information can be assumed these days.

The audience I watched the film with was very unsure for the first 40 minutes. After that, they loved it. My teenage nephew could not be described as a musical fan, but he went in not knowing it was a musical but eventually enjoyed it. I guess some people are not so broad-minded.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was being slightly fasicious with my last comment, but it was the quote they might lure a good number unsuspecting folks as though Sweeney Todd was some deliberate honey trap set up to ensnare non-musical fans and turn them that set me off re: Hey! Everyone knows its not 'Mary Poppins'!!  Yes/ No?

The trailer I've seen here in the UK has Depp singing Epiphany as well. Maybe it's just because I would never go and see a film without having seen the trailer or read a review or done a little research as to the subject matter first that makes me boggle at the article. As you say, there are some ignorant people around...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 2/8/08 at 08:16 AM