Page: 1

Sunday in the Park with George Original London Production.

musicalfan07 Profile Photomusicalfan07 Profile Photo
musicalfan07
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Hi. I'm really sorry if this has discussed before, I did search but nothing came up. How was it (cast, design, direction especially wise?) I'm currently watching the documentry about the opening, and I am fascinated (especially by Sondheim's and Steven Pimlott's comments.) I also love the audio and programme I have. How did it compare to the original Broadway and London Revival versions?
Thanks loads.
p.s. I am currently in love with Maria Friedman's Everybody Loves Louis!
Updated On: 1/20/08 at 05:10 PM
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have a CD of the OLC of the show and I have to say Maria and Philip sounds bad! And I normally LOVE Philip! And Maria for me was so wrong for the role! They are NOTHING compared to Daniel/Jenna to me :P
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There never was a CD released of the National Theatre production so whatever yo have must be a pirate or/ and of the sound desk which isnt going to sound fantastic to begin with . The production, in my opinion was not a patch on the original New York one which is why the Menier was welcomed with such wide open arms.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/20/08 at 07:14 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Although I loved the Menier revival, I equally enjoyed the Natinal Theatre production.

It used the traditional design of cut-outs in 2 dimensions, but the 2nd act had a revised Chromalume, which was a piece of performance art.

The cast was very strong and the choral sound was epic. I found myself in tears watching the second act- MF was at her very best.

The shape of the Lyttleton may have distanced the emotion a little, but overall it was very enjoyable. The sound desk recording is not nice though.

I think it won the Olivier that year- is that right Wicked?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yea, it got two awards that year, the other was for Phillip Quast who is currently playing yet another George in the current production of 'La Cage'. Its amazing that that production was 18 years ago now. The National still sell the keyrings for it too!
I know im proberbly on my own here, but its my least favourite Sondheim. I do think the two albums are brilliant recordings tho.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/21/08 at 12:32 PM
musicalfan07 Profile Photomusicalfan07 Profile Photo
musicalfan07
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Thanks everyone. Do you think it deserved to beat Into the Woods at the Oliviers?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In my opinion , no, but i may be on my own again here. 'Into The Woods' at the Phoenix has been spoken about on here before and seemed very popular amongst the posters who remember it. It was a great production.
Updated On: 1/21/08 at 01:48 PM
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I WISH WISH WISH I can see Into The Woods at the Phoenix!!!!!!!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it only won because of the snobbery associated with a National production, and because Into the Woods had not proved a huge commercial hit.

It was a great year for Sondheim musicals, but for me, Into the Woods at the Phoenix has never been surpassed.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree totally with you Dev. 'Into The Woods' was amazing.
Theatrical Landladies Profile PhotoTheatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I never got to see SITPWG at the National but did see ITW at the Phoenix. I LOVED the latter and cried as usual (which I do at most Sondheim shows, Forum excepted!). The performances were amazing though I did find the sets a little "out there"! REALLY enjoyed Sunday at the Wyndhams so looking forward to seeing it at Studio 54 in March!
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"