Page: 1

'Spike'

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Spike'#1
Posted: 1/17/08 at 12:03pm
Good to see Michael Barrymore back on stage in the UK. The new play about Spike Milligan runs for 2 weeks at the Theate Royal Windsor. Jill Halfpenny so-stars.
Its expectd to get a four week season in a West End house in May/ June most probably playing 11pm shows.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/17/08 at 12:03 PM
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Spike'#2
Posted: 1/18/08 at 8:44am
I am afraid that I must disagree with you on that one. I rather feel it is a great shame that Mr. Barrymore is back on stage in the UK.

And to be honest I find it truly disgusting that he is playing Spike, a man for whom I had a great affection and respect.

If find Mr. Barrymore's tallents to be tiny, pitiful and he himself a depressing figure to watch with nothing to offer but lazy, slured speach, self-indulgence on a grand-scale and meaningless drivel.

I hope to God it doesn't transfer. The West End and its audience deserve better.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#2
Posted: 1/18/08 at 8:52am
Your probably right, it wont transfer but they are trying too.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/18/08 at 08:52 AM
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Spike'#3
Posted: 1/18/08 at 9:27am
Have to say I agree 100% with Deathstar, its a shame he is returning to the stage in my view
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#4
Posted: 1/18/08 at 9:48am
He wasnt proven to be guilty was he?
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Spike'#5
Posted: 1/18/08 at 10:06am
My thoughts have nothing to do with that particular case
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#6
Posted: 1/18/08 at 10:13am
He has done a lot of work over the last 25 years you know. Musicals, summer seasons, pantomimes etc. Im not defending him here in any way by the way.
Updated On: 1/18/08 at 10:13 AM
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Spike'#7
Posted: 1/18/08 at 10:16am
lol I know, doesnt actually make me think any different of hima s an entertainer etc
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Spike'#8
Posted: 1/18/08 at 6:20pm
have no time for him either...he tanked our scrooge 06 tour - terrible sales..wonder why? and he also cost Scrooge a darn good Jacob Marley as Barry howard said after last year he will never do it again hense why he wasn't JM this year. to be honest i think the only reason barrymores back is because he'll be cheap - 50p and a cup of tea - as he's still trying to regain his public status after the hoo har and the trial.

x
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#9
Posted: 1/18/08 at 6:21pm
personally i like him, hes always been a very good entertainer, everyone used to praise the guy left right and center until the pool incident ...ahh the fickle brits
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#10
Posted: 1/18/08 at 6:57pm
SADM2 thats how i feel. He sold out theatres across the UK for 20 years, had up to 15m watching TV on 3 different shows a week! -his reviews were totally positive for the short time he did 'Scrooge'.
As for Barry Howard, he is one of the most spiteful and unprofessional people ive ever had the displeasure to work with-2 pantos and a tour of 'A Bedfull Of Foreigners'! -the guy lived in the shadow of John Inman but thats another story!!!
Until he got into that spot of trouble that has never been proven true or false, Barrymore was the king of TV comedy and that was acknowledged by many of the great TV comics at the time. Fickle Brits - def!
Updated On: 1/18/08 at 06:57 PM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#11
Posted: 1/18/08 at 7:12pm
I do love you wickedboy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#12
Posted: 1/18/08 at 7:15pm
Did i rant then? I did didnt i!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#13
Posted: 1/18/08 at 7:46pm
I love it when u rant, it makes me all tingly and come over all queer lol
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#14
Posted: 1/18/08 at 7:55pm
oh, shuurrr up!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#15
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:51am
As someone who is on the other side of the globe - what is he ( Michael Barrymore) supposed to have done?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#16
Posted: 1/19/08 at 10:17am
OK i will give you the quick version

Barrymore was one of the UK fave tv personalties, everthing he touched seemed to turn to gold.He then came out as been gay and whilst he popularity was still high he became very tabloid with papers trying to get dirt on him all the time.

A few years back somebody ended up a dead in his swimming pool whilst he was having a party in his house.The young man had drugs in his system and it he showed signs of having anal sex.

Barrymore was questioned early on released without charge but the victims dad kept on pursuing barrymore and it became a media circus.

The dad obviously could not handle the fact his son may have been gay (after all the dead guy was at a party with a lot of other gay people at a gay comedians house) so he started shouting Rape, Murder, Cover ups etc.

Barrymore was dragged through the dirt about 20 times over and all his shows were canceled and he has never had his career back on track since.He came close when he appeared on Celebrity Big Brother and did really well, but again his career nose dived.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#17
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:21pm
I wish I hadn't asked.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Spike'#18
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:47pm
lol, may by yes! A little closer to home for you, he went to Auckland after the fuss in the UK and appeared in a production of 'Chicago' as Billy Flynn in what ever theatre Aukland has!? 5 didnt see many when i was there?!