'Gigi'

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Gigi'#1
Posted: 1/12/08 at 8:39am
Of all the great musicals out there Regents Park have chosen 'Gigi' as their musical this year. One of the most tedious musicals written. On its last outing it lasted only 6 months and and that was with a star cast on Shaftesbury Ave! Admittedly they dont choose the most awe inspiring musicals but 'Gigi' is seldom performed and for good reasons!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#2
Posted: 1/12/08 at 8:41am
I think it's aimed at the "old dears".
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#2
Posted: 1/12/08 at 10:11am
Just like 'Underneath The Arches'! - i loved that and saw it so many times!
See you there lol
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/12/08 at 10:11 AM
RadioFan
Understudy
Understudy
re: 'Gigi'#3
Posted: 1/12/08 at 2:00pm
This may not be today's idea of grooming, but its still the story of older relative's attempets to turn a school girl into a prostitute.
Gigi is as a product of it's time, and should be left to get dusty on a shelf where no one will ever find it.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#4
Posted: 1/12/08 at 2:29pm
I have wonderful memories of a not too young Beryl Reid doing the splits on Shaftesbury Ave every night!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#5
Posted: 1/12/08 at 2:30pm
Inside the theatre of course!!!!!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#6
Posted: 1/12/08 at 2:44pm
Ah yes, I remember it well...

(Sorry, had to be done)
Jibbfann
Swing
Swing
re: 'Gigi'#7
Posted: 1/12/08 at 6:42pm
I'd love a major revival of Brigadoon.
Lerner and loewe wrote some beautiful music and I think they are underaprreciated.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#8
Posted: 1/12/08 at 8:28pm
BRIGADOON is a good one, and sadly rarely performed. I have never seen a live performance of it, is the book too antiquated for revival? In NY they seem to small companies that drag these old musicals off the shelf, dust them off and give them (at least) a reading. Is there such a company in London?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#9
Posted: 1/12/08 at 9:08pm
London, surprisingly, only had its last revival of 'Brigadoon' less than 20 years ago at the Victoria Palace. It had a years run there back in 1988. It was one of a number of old shows that appeared at the Victoria Palace in the mid/late 80s. The others being High Society, Charlie Girl and Call Me Madam. The production of Call Me Madam is sadly the only one of these shows that didn't get recorded.
'Brigadoon' would look beautiful in the setting of Regents Park Open Air Theatre. It would possiby require a little tweaking around the edges but could still hold up today (tho not a full W/E production i think)
Updated On: 1/13/08 at 09:08 PM
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#10
Posted: 1/13/08 at 1:40am
Ahhh CHARLIE GIRL! An old fave of mine.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#11
Posted: 1/13/08 at 3:52am
The London recording of 'Charlie Girl' from the Victoria Palace in 1986 is a brilliant recording with orchestrations that really capture the era. It was successful enough to transfer for a season to the Opera House in Manchester. It starred Hollywood veteran Cyd Charisse, Paul Nicolas and Dora Bryan. Great fun. Although i have the Anna Neagle Cd ive never listened to it!
Updated On: 1/13/08 at 03:52 AM
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Gigi'#12
Posted: 1/13/08 at 9:01pm
millicent martin will star... i am there.
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#13
Posted: 1/13/08 at 9:12pm
Play the Anna Neagle CHARLIE GIRL it is far superior to the revival, there is also an Australian cast CG .Cyd never could sing, nor can Paul Nicholas. When CHARLIE GIRL was playing at Her Majesty's Theatre in Melbourne (with Anna Neagle and Derek Nimmo), the follow up show was NO, NO, NANETTE with Cyd Charisse, it opened while CHARLIE GIRL was playing in Auckland NZ. When that closed Anna Neagle detoured on her way home to London via Melbourne to see the show as it was on offer to her - years later of course Cyd Charisse would play the role that Anna Neagle had created in CHARLIE GIRL - spooky eh?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#14
Posted: 1/14/08 at 5:10pm
It will be amazing to se Millicent on stage again. The last time i saw her was as Baby Jane in the musical 'Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?" which never went into full production unfortunately. A classic performer and she will steal the show.
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#15
Posted: 1/14/08 at 6:09pm
Over the years something strange happened to Miilicent Martin's teeth. In the early 80's she must have had bad caps applied as she developed a bad lisp which she never had before. Wickedboy2 had you noticed this?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#16
Posted: 1/14/08 at 6:12pm
Haha! How can you not- its one of her trade marks but she uses it brilliantly in her personality.. Its great when she sings Sondhiem's 'The Boy From...'
She was an incredible Baby Jane! i wish it had gone further.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#17
Posted: 1/15/08 at 11:08am
'The Boy from...' is one of Sondheim's greatest lyrics! There are a couple of versions on Y-tube, but no one can do it like Millie!
Theatrical Landladies Profile PhotoTheatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 'Gigi'#18
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:45pm
I may be wrong but weren't GIGI and HIGH SOCIETY movie musicals adapted for the stage? I never think these work all that well (thinking about Singing in the Rain and Seven Brides.... also). You may disagree but they always feel a little like square pegs forced into round holes. Not sure really why that is the case but unless you completely rewrite them with a new score as in Thoroughly Modern Millie they just seem not right.

Open to criticism for this opinion......
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"
UpThe Aisle
Swing
Swing
re: 'Gigi'#19
Posted: 1/17/08 at 12:48pm
I think what many people forget with regard to "Gigi" and other "old" musicals is two things.
1.If these "should be left on the shelf" musicals are done by Amateur and Semi Professional companies,often they have little choice.
They may want to do more up to date musicals but are controlled by cost.Some of the old musicals are either out of copyright,or have very low performance fees.Amateur groups could certainly not afford the fees required to put on say a Sondheim or a Lloyd Webber.Cost is the first thing they look at.
2. As regards Regents Park,and other companies,yes it makes me sad too that they choose musicals like "Gigi"(that someone so rightly pointed out,worked as a film,but maybe not as a stage musical).I think these companies should be searching out lost masterpieces(of which there are countless) and reviving them,not "Gigi"
However,we come to that awful expression"bums on seats" and sadly(or not) musicals such as "Gigi" do put the bums there.I(being 60) have seen the audience for musical theatre(in the UK at least) change from an educated,interested and intelligent audience,into a cross between school trips(a la jason donvan et al) and an OAP coach outing(as in Gigi,etc).Yes,there are more interesting and better written musicals about,but often they don't suceed for whatever reason.It has to be said that the cost of putting on a musical now can be prohibitive,IF you don't get the returns.I think that there is a market for all types of musical,it is just a shame that the ones that should get the audiences(that is the ones that move musical theatre forward and not back) often don't.
This happens in the straight theatre too though,it's just one of those strange artistic quirks.
I shall go and see Gigi,mainly to see Millie,bu then in July I am going to the Collie to see "Candide" I just like musicals.
End of rant.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#20
Posted: 1/17/08 at 1:07pm
As i said though, the last London production had a fantastic cast with Beryl Reid, Sian Phillips and Amanda Wring. Despite this it only ran for 6 months so didnt exactly put 'bums on seats'- the evening i saw it the Lyric was not half full.
I agree there are so many other lost shows they could have come up with, sadly they chose 'Gigi'.
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#21
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:41pm
How many seats would Regent Park have? Are they proper seats or do you just sit on the lawn to watch?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#22
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:30pm
Its around 1200 in reserved seating but they have spaces for people at the front to sit on cushions and blankets. It isnt covered!!! English Summers!!!
Updated On: 1/17/08 at 07:30 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#23
Posted: 1/25/08 at 3:09pm
Topol, of 'Fiddler On The Roof' fame has joined the cast of 'Gigi' at the Open Air Theatre to see if he 'remembers it well'
How old is he now?
Just checked- he's 72 -i thought he was a lot older than that.
Hope this proves a little more successful than his last West End venture- the dire 'Ziegfeld' at the Palladium.
Updated On: 1/25/08 at 03:09 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Gigi'#24
Posted: 1/25/08 at 3:16pm
How could it be worse?