Page: 1

Need Advice for a Possible Trip

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile PhotoBroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Need Advice for a Possible Trip#1
Posted: 1/2/08 at 11:21pm
I need advice for a possible trip this coming summer (0Need Advice for a Possible Trip. I want to make this as cheap as possible. I am planning on seeing Hairspray and Les Miserables- any other suggestions? Is there a cheap way to fly over and stay in a hotel a few nights?

P.S. what does a West End playbill look like? I've always wondered this (any pics?)
"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#2
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:17am
For cheap hotel - Travelodge is the way to go. If you book early enough you can get very cheap rooms, and they arn't bad at all. I stayed in the new one on London City Road and found it to be fantactic value and location.

And in the westend we don't have "playbills" as such but rather programmes. They cost about 3.50 each (or 6 at Wicked/Hairspray which includes photos). They also do a brochure for about 5 or so and the RUG theatres do a programme, brochure and poster deal for 10.
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#2
Posted: 1/4/08 at 9:59am
Bear in mind that at the present time the British pound is worth about $2.00. So if a hotel has a room for 60, that will be about $120. A friend stayed at a TravelLodge near the Shaftsbury Theatre and paid 115. You might want to consider a Bed & Breakfast.

If you go to the link I've posted below, they offer information on budget hotels and B&B's.

You might also want to consider using Expedia or Orbitz to book flights and hotels.

Londontown.com
Updated On: 1/4/08 at 09:59 AM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#3
Posted: 1/4/08 at 10:18am
115 for a travelodge! They must have just turned up on the day or something? Thats mad, most we have ever paid is like 55.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#5
Posted: 1/4/08 at 5:03pm
The travel lodges in the centre of london are expensive, its about 60 a night for say the one in wembley
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#6
Posted: 1/5/08 at 9:49am
Hmm i think 60 is still ok value. Last 2 times ive been though we have only paid 26 for city road.

There's always youth hostels to stay at. I've only ever stayed in travelodges in London though.
elphaba-maureen
Swing
Swing
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#7
Posted: 1/7/08 at 1:42pm
Wicked in London is between 60 and 15 ... i've only ever had the 15 & 20 tickets, and both times i still had a brilliant view :)
and i didn't book until about a week before i went to see it the 2nd time

travelodge would be the best bet for a cheapish hotel :)
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#8
Posted: 1/9/08 at 3:58pm
Billy Elliot!! it is an amazing show.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#9
Posted: 1/9/08 at 7:32pm
Regarding shows to see: BILLY ELLIOT is a "must see". Other than that - not sure what shows you may have seen already in the US - Avenue Q and Wicked are pretty high up the list, as are Chicago and Blood Brotgers. Also, by the summer Gone With the Wind will have opened - not sure how good that will be, but directed by Trevor Nunn and with Jill Paice already cast as Scarlett, it augurs well.

If you want CHEAP accommodation that is basic but clean, in a great location and has very friendly and helpful staff, there is a very good B & B that I always use while in London: the Ridgemount Hotel, 65-67 Gower Street (across the road from RADA).
http://www.ridgemounthotel.co.uk
- single room with shared facilities 39, en suite 50 - if there are 2 of you, there are double/twin en suite rooms for just 35 each.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile PhotoBroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#10
Posted: 1/9/08 at 11:02pm
I'm planning on seeing Billy Elliot next fall on Broadway. is Les Miz worth while in London?
"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need Advice for a Possible Trip#11
Posted: 1/10/08 at 9:09am
No! Don't waste your evening.
See something in London you wont see in the US. 'Les Miz' is half the size it used to be before it moved from the perfect Palace theatre! So many i know have seen and have been bitterly disappointed. Many will disagree with me but there you go!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'