Page: 1

Was there going to be a Cats revival?

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Was there going to be a Cats revival?#1
Posted: 1/1/08 at 7:53am
I heard this a while back but i was not sure if it was true?
Does anyone know about this..??

Happy New Year x
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
good god I hope not, if there is, put it in the novello and pray the curse stays alive!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree, it took long enough to get rid of it
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#3
Posted: 1/1/08 at 10:15am
Its just finished touring, what more do you want! Why are people still fascinated by this show? It ran in London for 3464 years and was looking like it ran out of its lives way before the final curtain. Maybe a lot of people proberbly were too young to have seen its original run. I saw it in its 2nd week of previews and it certainly wasnt that knockout then. its long live was only due to the fact that the tourists kept flocking in especially the Japanese. A friend o f mine was house manager there for years and it very often payed to way less than 50%. The recent tours were only moderately successful but it will be long time until this returns to a major West End house.
Here kitty, kitty! (stamps hard!) Sram!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/1/08 at 10:15 AM
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#4
Posted: 1/1/08 at 12:29pm
I don't think it's coming back.. well not any time soon anyhow... but apparently they wanted to re-open it at The Cambridge after it closed???? This may be utter rubbish but i wondered if anyone knew if this was true?

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was rumored to reopen at the Victoria Palace also within a few years or less, of its original closing. When things wernt going well with the New London it was going to reopen there too! My favorite rumor was the tour that was to hit the UK performed in a circus tent!
'Barnum' was also set to tour in a tent but fell thru!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/1/08 at 01:58 PM
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh thats what it was... thanks!
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
"My favorite rumor was the tour that was to hit the UK performed in a circus tent!"
Not the most stupid of rumors, as I'm pretty sure it toured Australia in a circus tent
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My god you know i think it did at some time. Maybe Altergo will confirm for us. Do you mean Cats or Barnum down under?
theatrejoe Profile Phototheatrejoe Profile Photo
theatrejoe
Understudy
Understudy
I believe that 'Cats' did play in a big marque of some kind at Cheltenham Race course in May, I wonder how well it worked in a tent.
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#10
Posted: 1/1/08 at 6:05pm
It was Cats that did the tent tour in Australia. I think it sounds interesting!
rabymon10
Understudy
Understudy
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#11
Posted: 1/1/08 at 6:47pm
Yes it did tour Australia in the Big Top. This was back in 2000. It was called 'Cats: Runaway to the Circus', and was essentially the same show, but with some added acrobatics and whatnot. If you ask me, I think it suited the show more to be in the Big Top, than it does in a procenium arch theatre as it usually is here. You're just closer to the action, and invested into the show more, I think. They even had trap doors built into the floor around the seating where the 'cats' crawled out of to claw audience members at their feet, or get up and run around scaring people silly like jabbawockys, as they do.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#12
Posted: 1/1/08 at 7:11pm
No, no a thousand times no!

As rabymon10 pointed out it did tour regional areas in Australia in a tent. This was well after the original sit down seasons in Melbourne, Sydney etc. Many of the larger country cities here don't have the facilities to stage large musicals (both in terms of stage and auditorium size) and the tent was a way to get around the country. The tour did well over a year I recall. The tent was later used for the tour of SHOUT! (not the 'Mod Musical' but another show) and there were all sorts of plans for other shows but nothing came of it.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#13
Posted: 1/1/08 at 7:22pm
'Run away to the circus' -its all coming back to me now! Was the story changed to accommodate the circus theme? Sounds dreadful!
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#14
Posted: 1/2/08 at 12:08am
I don't know I've managed to avoid it wherever it played.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#15
Posted: 1/2/08 at 8:25am
the tours still happening, I dont know for how much longer, but its crashing into Southampton in February
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#16
Posted: 1/2/08 at 8:48am
Its not too late to place poison traps around the streets!
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#17
Posted: 1/2/08 at 12:56pm
how was cats so popular, its dull, stupid with mainly rubbish tunes, the story is 100% ridiculous, I'll give them the costumes were good, but a show should never succeed on costumes and set!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#18
Posted: 1/2/08 at 12:57pm
Japanese tourists!
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#19
Posted: 1/2/08 at 4:39pm
I know that the only reason why it became Broadway's longst running show was simple. It had NO story line whatsoever and just some catchy tunes and tons of flshy pretty colours. Thus, tourists the world over enjoyed it. Only because it wsa the only musical out there at the time that requierd NO understanding of the english language. That is because there was no book.

There was a regional production of the show in Califorina that was talked about moving to Broadway. The idea was that it was a school teacher who grew up loving the TS elliot's book. Then she became a school teacher and gave her little students nicknames based on the cats in the book. She found out that she was dying and called them back for one goodbye. They all arrived as the cats she nickneamed them after.

And, there are rumors that when Mamma Mia closes on Broadway at the Wintergarden Theatre. Then Cats will return back there. Cats and Mamma Mia both shared the same broadway theatre.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#20
Posted: 1/3/08 at 1:39am
Aaaaghhhhh please winstoin say it isn't so!

Whenever I think of CATS I remember what Andy Warhol said about it in his diaries - and I paraphrase here " it is disgusting, these girls in tight leotards - and you can see everything you can see ( I'll omit this bit) through their costumes - everything, and they crawl over the seats. It is right there in your face, that's why it is popular you get all these old guys in there to perve at these girls..." Maybe that is the secret of this shows success!
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Was there going to be a Cats revival?#21
Posted: 1/5/08 at 10:35am
The 2004 touring production was going to come in to The Cambridge Theatre for a limited 3 month run from March 2005 and then Hairspray was going to premiere after. For this London return, original cast members Wayne Sleep, Elaine Paige and Paul Nicholas were going to reprise their roles. The production was stopped as Cameron Mackintosh didn't want Cats to return to London. Very soon after, Hairspray was also pulled thus allowing the touring production of Dancing in the Streets to open.

As long as Cats is on tour it will always be mooted for a West End return as it always does well and if house becomes free at the last min in a mackintosh or webber venue it could be very easy for them to fill it with this sure-fire seat filler. I hope, as Cameron intends, that it will not return until at least 2015 in a brand new revival.