Page: 1

'Hairspray' on the Royal Variety Performance

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thats another 2m in the box office this week!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good.

I am kind of reminded of the La Cage/ Sunday year: Parade was clearly a work of serious artistic endeavour, and the cd really captures the work's strengths, but it risks being steam-rollered by a popular hit with a star in a career-high role.

I know Parade is no longer running, but I hope it doesn't get entirely overlooked in the awards season. Hairspray, after all, can take comfort in its healthy bank balance!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8p2Y1J_Rxw

it looks amazing! looks abit rushed with bits and pieces cut but still amazing!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It looked fantastic!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What other shows were represented on the show?
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Not a show i know, but Katherine Jenkins and Darcey Bussell performed an excerpt from their new bizzare venture called Viva La Diva. Jenkins shocked me by being able to tap dance and Bussell recreated Cyd Charrise's legendary dance from The Bandwagon's Girl Hunt Ballet.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Viva La Diva' is huge show touring the arenas of the UK now and again in spring/ summer 2008. Its to showcase the opposite talents of the two ladies -basically its showing Darcy can sing as well as dance and Katherine can dance as well as sing. The incredible box office for this tour has made sure that they retour next year.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wickedboy2 - Did you see the South Bank last night? It was about the making of the Viva La Diva tour. Darcy even had a stab at singing. Did'nt realise how huge this tour was. Must be good if they can charge 80 for a ticket at the o2 centre
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It sounds like a great night to me and i hope to catch it in London. I just wish shows like this would play theatres rather than souless aircraft hangers!
I have The South Bank show on DVD and will catch it asap. Im off to Chicago and New York for a week 2mrw so i wont see it for a week or so now.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I went to see Viva La Diva at the Lowry a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was delighted to see KJ tap- nice style!

I thought DB lack fluidity in the jazzier moments even though her flexibility was amazing.

Not sure I'd pay 80 though!
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Viva la Divas was the subject of last nights South Bank Show, and they followed them them from the beginning of rehersals to the first show at The Lowry. It's a shame that the clps they used were from the first nights show where a few things went tits up. Still it's an interesting project that i wouldnt mind catching.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Viva La Diva was superb entertainment. Classy old fashioned fun. Classy singing and dancing. Really enjoyed that. And Darcey looked lovely too !

Hairspray I thought was the sort of thing that puts me off theatre, though I imagine it wasn't a good representation of it. I couldn't hear the words they were singing or why and the stage picture looked very odd. Couldn't really workout if I'd want to go based on that performance, but I think it was director/producer choice of number, rather than the company or the play.

Leanne Jones looked to be very good in it though!
Updated On: 12/11/07 at 08:37 AM
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I thought Viva La Diva was ok for a one-off but I really could not want to see them in a full show.

The Hairspray bit was good - the right energy level although it was hard to make out some of the words, but that is just me splitting hairs. The whole fun-ness of it all came across loud and clear. And impressively Ben, who is really one of the weak aspects of the stage show - from the rabbit in the headlights school of acting
- came over well on the RVP bit.