Desperately Seeking....

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Desperately Seeking....#1
Posted: 11/6/07 at 7:10pm
...a large drink and a quiet corner'
Its my own fault i know. I should have gone to see 'Dr Doolittle' in Wimbledon or 'Parade' last Friday, but no, i had to run off to see this Susan girl at the Novello. Tonight, (thru work) i had to go see if i could find her again!... i didnt!
To be honest it really hasnt changed at all in the last 4 days. Theres a few tweaks and things that i noticed but it still has no pace or as someone put it, that 'wow moment' still. Not a full house by any means and not too great a reception at curtain either. Im still very unsure about this one im afraid.
They have another week..... i hope they find her!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 11/6/07 at 07:10 PM
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Desperately Seeking....#2
Posted: 11/6/07 at 7:42pm
Poor Novello... Is it the Drowsy Chaperine curse going on?
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#2
Posted: 11/7/07 at 6:19am
This could be the 2nd flop in a row for the Novello

The last hit they had was Footloose and that had to be cut short because of the RSC contract
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#3
Posted: 11/7/07 at 6:27am
The Novello refused the RSC to take 'Susan'. 'Susan' was scheduled for the Gielgud originally. The RSC are now in another white elepahnat, the New London. Who's biting who's lip now!!!! The Novello wont be dark long (IF Susan doesnt work), there are loads of 'top' quality shows touring next year! 'Half A Sixpence', 'Dr Dolittle', 'South Pacific' -the list is endless of the endless 2nd rate tours out there. Sorry to be harsh but you really do have to see some of these shows going around.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#4
Posted: 11/7/07 at 6:30am
Half a sixpence and Dr Dolittle have been a disaster on tour so i dont think they will be going anywhere near London's West End

South Pacific could be a maybe though
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#5
Posted: 11/7/07 at 6:47am
Even the National didnt risk bringing Bloody Mary into town a few years ago. Even that production got only a luke warm reception.
Updated On: 11/7/07 at 06:47 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#6
Posted: 11/7/07 at 8:58am
The Novello seems to have received the former Shaftesbury curse, I can't see Susan lasting much longer if the reviews aren't good. It did seem strange that RSC decided to go for The New London rather a Delfont Mackintosh theatre though I think the New London auditorium has been adapted for a thrust stage like in was in The Courtyard Theatre in Stratford upon Avon for The KL/Seagull.

Perhaps Parade could go into The Novello for a limited season? or even the Menier production of La Cage?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#7
Posted: 11/7/07 at 9:04am
The RSC had no choice. The Novello wanted 'Susan'. I think the RSC will do very well at the New London. What am i saying, it has Sir Ian McKellern. Sell Out
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#8
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:03am
I understand it very nearly is already.

The South Pacific tour has done very well in every venue except Wimbledon and Oxford. I'd be very surprised if UK Productions ventured into town, especially after the fiasco that was Wimbledon.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#9
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:08am
I took a look at their production of 'Fiddler' the last time they took it out in 2003. In the photos on the site i looked very hard to find anything that resembled a set of any kind!
Updated On: 11/7/07 at 10:08 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#10
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:14am
How big is the Novello as I think a limited season of Parade could do well there or perhaps even the Donmar's Othello as that like KL/Seagull and Macbeth has sold out its run.

Shakespeare seems to very present in the West End and selling very well.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#11
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:17am
Its about the same size as the Duke Of Yorks

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#12
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:19am
Its a little bigger than the Dukes SADM2. The Novello is over 1000 seats and the Dukes around 650/700. The Novello is perfectly designed for medium to large scale musicals whereas the Dukes is first and formost for plays.

Updated On: 11/7/07 at 10:19 AM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#13
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:28am
Hand on heart I can't see Parade making the transfer.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#14
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:28am
I thought he meant stage wise (as in would it fit in there)
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#15
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:29am
I feel the same. Its having its day in London at the Donmar. I know that 3 seperate producers were or maybe they still are working on a limited season transfer but thats gone very quiet recently.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#16
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:44am
Parade is such a wonderful show but I agree that a transfer is unlikely due to the nature of its plot. Nevertheless at least we got a London cast recording.

Is the RSC deal with CM still in place? They using The New London for their current London season and are staging the Histories at the Roundhouse in 2008.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#17
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:51am
Im not sure it was set in stone. It was just a gentlemans agrement that Cameron offered them a proper West End house when he reopened the Novello.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#18
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:56am
I'm not sure the RSC deal applies to just the Novello, I think it's any of CM theatres. I think there were back to back RSC production of The Crucible and The Canterbury's Tales at the Gielgud though it may of been a commercial production as Bill Kenwright and Thelma Holt were producers of it.

After the money spent on refurbishing and development it, it would be a shame for the Novello to not have a decent show.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#19
Posted: 11/7/07 at 10:56am
Well if it was a gentlemen's agreement, we know what that's worth...
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#20
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:02am
My thinking is- keep the Novello for the big scale shows it suits so well and let the RSC have the smaller houses. The whole problem will always go back to the RSC after they gave up thier London home at the Barbican. They now need to go begging to West End landlords if they want a West End season in a respectable house. The Barbican was perfect for them as people who want to see Shakespeare will seek it out and make that journey as they do to Stratford.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#21
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:22am
agree 100 percent
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#22
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:27am
EXCEPT!!!! us musical theatre queens who will crawl to Strafford to see Carrie!!!!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#23
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:47am
hehehehehe well of course

grrr bring back Carrie
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Desperately Seeking....#24
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:47am
One day one day!