'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#1
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:08am
.....the Broadway production!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#2
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:12am
hahahahaha grrrrrrrr was hoping the UK one was finally gonna go

Had heard about the broadway one closing, thought it was odd that both would close on same day lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#2
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:16am
The Queens is supposed to be home to great plays in revival or exciting new work NOT a lame semi pro musical played on a synth. The Queens held the world premiers of Shadowlands, Another Country and hundreds of others. Under Camerons banner, even if Les Miz (on My knees here) were to close he would put in anything but quality drama.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#3
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:21am
les mis past its sell by date in the mid 90s
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#4
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:25am
I'm a big fan of Les Mis but I think it's had its day, the fact that the Broadway revival which i thought would be open ended makes me suspect that perhaps the London Production may be on the way out.

When is Cameron Mackintosh going to start the redevelopment of The Queens? He's done a fantastic job of all his other theatres with the most recent example of refurbishment of The Gielgud but the big project to get The Queens restored to its former glory have been stalled.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#5
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:39am
The new Broadway production wasnt ever an open ended run tho it was extended by a number of months. There were rumors when i was in NY last week that he was going to turn it into an open ended but he must have changed his mind.
The work on the Queens will have to wait until all the maddening drainage works in Soho has been completed, at the very earliest the end of 08. The return of the original facade (an almost mirror image of the Guildgud on the next corner) will be a slow process being as its situated on one of Londons busiest roads. The work will be done around the same time that Cameron builds the Sondhiem Theatre on top and in between the two theatres. The plans for the new theatre are always changing but will happen because cameron has secured a hell of a lot of money from the Government.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#6
Posted: 10/29/07 at 12:21pm
Les Mis simply will not be allowed to close until after Phantom whatever the figures. Not that there's any rivalry there...
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#7
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:38pm
the Broadway revival's closing? Bring on Judy Kuhn to London! It's time we have her in London!!!!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#8
Posted: 10/29/07 at 1:43pm
She appeared here in Metropolis back in the early 90's.
simon_wilkie
Understudy
Understudy
Hi,

I think it's quite sad news. Saw the Queen's production last April and the Broadway revival in August, and although I much preferred the Queen's show with Tracie Bennett and Hans Peter Jansson (possibly the scariest Javert ever!), I really enjoyed the NY show too. My main disappointment was that Jenny Galloway and Gary Beach had left the show!

I have a quick question- the website is a bit confusing- it lists Gary and Jenny as playing the Thenardier's at the minute? Is this true- please don't tell me they've come back to the show, I'll be very disappointed! I saw Jenny in Henry V in Manchester a couple of weeks ago (fab as ever!), surely she hasn't gone State-side again so soon? Perhaps now she can come to the Queen's as Mme Thenardier, after seeing the 10th Anniv. Cast it has been my mission to see her in the role- sheer perfection!
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#10
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:56am
She is fabulous as a musical performer. I Saw her in Mary Poppins 2 years and a half ago... Great as usual !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#11
Posted: 11/4/07 at 11:21am
So much fuss is being made of the John Doyle version 'Sweeney' these days but that production is way under powered compared to the Derby Playhouse production last year with Jenny getting as close to perfection as one can get as Mrs Lovett. I travelled from London twice to see it. This actress is one one the most versitile Britain has produced in years. I havent seen here in 'Les Miz'
Updated On: 11/4/07 at 11:21 AM
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#12
Posted: 11/4/07 at 12:44pm
Simon, both Jenny and Gary are back in the show, and I imagine will be there until the end. Jenny started again on November 1.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#13
Posted: 11/4/07 at 2:19pm
Although I enjoyed Jenny G's performance in Mary P, I have always found her Mdme Thenardier too panto- I know that's the direction the character has been taken, but I much prefer Susan Jane Tanner's original.

(And Alun Armstrong was also superb- as he was in 'The Baker's Wife'.)
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#14
Posted: 11/4/07 at 2:27pm
I saw the second preview at the Barbican and was bowled over. The last time i saw it was 9 years ago. Should i go again or not?
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#15
Posted: 11/4/07 at 2:39pm
Yeah, I saw it in the really early days- as a birthday treat. Now I use "Now in it's 22nd year" as a way of reminding myself how old I am, or to depress myself.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#16
Posted: 11/4/07 at 2:42pm
How do you think it makes me feel? Cheers! The best production i saw of this was the first tour it did in Australia. On the whole ive never been fussed passed that first Barbican preview.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#17
Posted: 11/4/07 at 2:55pm
So did you see it while it was still running at 3.5 hours?

When I first saw it, Jackie Marks was on for Patti, and she was fantastic. All the rest of the originals were performing as I recall. I've not seen it since it transferred from the Palace- I can't bring myself to do it.

Also, is it hideously snobbish of me to hate the marquee with the legend "Les Miz" with a Z? Why not just go the whole hog and write "Lay Miz" if you're going to dumb it down that far?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#18
Posted: 11/4/07 at 3:00pm
I did a panto with Jackie the year before she went to Les Miz. Great voice! With Des Barrit as a matter of fact whos now doing The History Boys
Updated On: 11/4/07 at 03:00 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#19
Posted: 11/4/07 at 3:35pm
Des is fantastic! His Antipholus was the funniest performance I have ever seen anywhere, anytime. I really hoped he would be Edna in London.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#20
Posted: 11/4/07 at 3:38pm
The original production planned for 3 years ago actually had him at the top of the list.
(were you sleeping, i posted Grand Hotel last week!)
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#21
Posted: 11/4/07 at 3:40pm
What, the Shaftesbury one? I must have missed it! I'll try to keep up!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#22
Posted: 11/4/07 at 3:43pm
Yep! you must know that Michael Ball was cast in that Grand Hotel! yes/no?
I sold 2 of those Grand hotel fliers a few years ago for 20 each!
Updated On: 11/4/07 at 03:43 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#23
Posted: 11/4/07 at 3:50pm
I have a couple more up my sleeve. I'll be heart-broken if you get there first!

simon_wilkie
Understudy
Understudy
re: 'Les Miserables' To Close Jan 8th 2008#24
Posted: 11/5/07 at 5:32am
Noooooooo!!! Although it's great for the show to have them both back I am very upset about it.

Oh the annoyance of being stuck in the NW of England...George Wendt as Edna is Hairspray, Gary and Jenny in Les Mis. and Young Frankenstein OBC playing night after night!!!! I'm half tempted to blow my student loan in one foul swoop......

I saw Jenny in MP as well, she was fantastic, made the show IMO. As much as I love Laura Michelle Kelly and David Haig, Jenny was a scene-stealer. I actually saw some of the cast of Henry V at a bar in Manchester just after I'd seen the show and after a few pints and I couldn't stop myself (after congratulating them of course!), going into a diatribe about how brilliant Jenny was! They promised to pass on my regards!