Parade at the Donmar

Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Parade at the Donmar#1
Posted: 8/26/07 at 5:54am
I'm off to see it on 17th Sep and cant wait.
Anyone else going?
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Parade at the Donmar#2
Posted: 8/26/07 at 6:56am
I'm really excited about it too! Seeing it on September 15th.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#2
Posted: 8/27/07 at 6:26pm
I'll be there for the matinee on September 22. Can't wait! I've always loved the score and I saw a superb production at the Edinburgh fringe in 2005. And to top it all, the Donmar production's gonna have the awesome Lara Pulver as Lucille.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#3
Posted: 8/28/07 at 6:36am
Jason Robert Brown has updated his blog with news on how the production in London is shaping up:
http://www.jasonrobertbrown.com/weblog/2007/08/notes_from_london.php

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Parade at the Donmar#4
Posted: 10/12/07 at 5:07pm
I couldn't recommend this more highly. Lots of big issues involved - racism, intolerance, general bigotry - but that said, it's fundamentally a hauntingly tragic love story (be prepared for a very harrowing ending). Overheard quite a few people in the interval saying that the music was like Sondheim; I can see some similarities, but for me they remain two quite different styles. I read the Indy's review, which compared JRB to the American composer Charles Ives, which I think is probably a better comparison. Not that I know very much about Ives (!), but he was considered ahead of his time, & think JRB (at least with this show on Broadway) has also experienced this problem... Good to see in the light of this that London seems to have embraced this show, the Donmar was packed when I was there. Of course I don't need to say this to BWWers, but this really is a show where the more you put in to it (concentration - my downfall!), the more you get out of it. The cast is simply superb (much better than the OBCR) - it's worth going just to hear Shaun Escoffery in Rumblin' And A Rollin', absolutely breathtaking. Bertie Carvel and Lara Pulver are totally riveting, really bring the piece to life. I'm going to stop waffling now... just to finish, I saw Hairspray last night & it was great fun, loved every minute. Stating the obvious here, but this show won't leave you with that elated feeling - doesn't make it any better or worse, just different. And well worth seeing.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
MovieGuy1031 Profile PhotoMovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Parade at the Donmar#5
Posted: 10/13/07 at 2:48am
Still waiting with bated breath for the recording...!!!

(*And wishing I was in London... *pouty face*)
"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore
buenos_aires
Swing
Swing
re: Parade at the Donmar#6
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:26am
i'm seeing it 24th October Matinee and am really excited!

I don't suppose anyone knows what merchandise they sell? I'm mainly wanting to know if they sell programmes & how much they are.

does the donmar have a stage door?
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#7
Posted: 10/14/07 at 12:25pm
The Donmar only sells programes, very very rarely anything else. the stage door is on the street directly behind the street the entrance is on. Turn left out the theatre, left again and then a left again! Not that clearly marked but its visable
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
buenos_aires
Swing
Swing
re: Parade at the Donmar#8
Posted: 10/14/07 at 1:35pm
Thankyou very much for the information :)

has anyone stage doored parade - is it worth me bothering?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#9
Posted: 10/14/07 at 1:38pm
A friend of mine saw it last night and 50% of company left via the front entrance!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
buenos_aires
Swing
Swing
re: Parade at the Donmar#10
Posted: 10/14/07 at 1:47pm
haha! well, i'll figure something out. it would be nice to meet a few of the cast/etc.

how much are the programmes, by the way (if you know?)
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Parade at the Donmar#11
Posted: 10/14/07 at 2:36pm
I stage doored, except it isn't really stage dooring since they all just come out the front. Some of them didn't appear (e.g. the 2 leads re: Parade at the Donmar ) but those who do were all really nice. The nicest was Jayne Wisener, who talked to me about the Sweeney movie!!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#12
Posted: 10/14/07 at 3:53pm
No more than 4 i guess
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#13
Posted: 10/14/07 at 4:22pm
I think the programmes are in the region of 3? Bloody good show, am very glad I went and am eagerly awaiting the cast recording. ^_^
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#14
Posted: 10/16/07 at 4:08pm
The programme is two pounds fifty - which makes it a bargain.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
JustJakUK Profile PhotoJustJakUK Profile Photo
JustJakUK
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Parade at the Donmar#15
Posted: 10/21/07 at 8:55pm
I saw this. It was stunning and the images stayed with me for days afterwards. I've been listening to the old cd version and replaying it in my mind. I was with someone whosaw the Edinburgh version. He said he preferred it because the girl who got killed was more manipulative and creepy as opposed to innocent and ditzy. Anyone got any comments on this?
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Parade at the Donmar#16
Posted: 10/21/07 at 10:12pm
Sorry but the Edinburgh production was a well meaning mess. Some talented performers but it lacked

A) a good space
B) good direction
C) the attention to detail that this production has not to mention the new revisions.

I did not care one bit for Christopher Colley's Leo even though he has since gone on to give a couple of good performances in Sunday in the Park and Take Flight. However played the wife just wasn't in the same league as Lara Pulver is with this. They did not have the depth of character. Also several supporting roles were appalling ie the Young Soldier.

So I have to say that I vaguely recall Mary Phagan from that production but I cannot imagine her being manipulative and creepy. That is entirely against the text surely? She was an innocent little girl. Period. Perhaps set in 2007 she would be a mini Britney whore and very self aware but not in 1914!
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Parade at the Donmar#16
Posted: 10/21/07 at 10:12pm
Sorry but the Edinburgh production was a well meaning mess. Some talented performers but it lacked

A) a good space
B) good direction
C) the attention to detail that this production has not to mention the new revisions.

I did not care one bit for Christopher Colley's Leo even though he has since gone on to give a couple of good performances in Sunday in the Park and Take Flight. Whowever played the wife just wasn't in the same league as Lara Pulver is with this. They did not have the depth of character. Also several supporting roles were appalling ie the Young Soldier.

So I have to say that I vaguely recall Mary Phagan from that production but I cannot imagine her being manipulative and creepy. That is entirely against the text surely? She was an innocent little girl. Period. Perhaps set in 2007 she would be a mini Britney whore and very self aware but not in 1914!
Updated On: 10/21/07 at 10:12 PM
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Parade at the Donmar#18
Posted: 10/21/07 at 10:18pm
OK, it's late so this may not be entirely joined up... Personally I think there is enough ambiguity at the end. Remember that in the final scene Leo's innocence is strongly implied but not actually proved (as in real life) - so it could have been him, we will never know. Obviously the idea is that the audience goes away believing his innocence - Mary being manipulative and creepy conceivably gives him a motive (however small) and therefore could be quite confusing. I like Jayne Wissener's characterization. I wouldn't say she was ditzy - she's wonderfully coy in "The Picture Show". Very excited - the cast was in the recording studio last week, so shouldn't be long now until the release...
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Updated On: 10/21/07 at 10:18 PM
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#19
Posted: 10/23/07 at 12:33pm
***SPOILER ALERT***

The final scene SHOWS US that Leo was innocent. The first act scene in his office left the issue open. To me there's just no question about it and this production got it - and everything else - just right.
MovieGuy1031 Profile PhotoMovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Parade at the Donmar#20
Posted: 10/23/07 at 2:08pm
Thats all well and good.

SOOOOO. How 'bout that release date, eh?
"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#21
Posted: 10/23/07 at 5:15pm
Its slatted for a release the 2nd week in Nov.
Updated On: 10/24/07 at 05:15 PM
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Parade at the Donmar#22
Posted: 10/23/07 at 6:41pm
"The final scene SHOWS US that Leo was innocent." - ok, I'm being pedantic, but this is incorrect. The final scene shows Leo handing the girl her pay, she wishes him happy Memorial day and starts walking down the stairs, & then blackout. As I said, this scene strongly implies his innocence, but doesn't actually PROVE it - remember the body is found at the bottom of the stairs & so he could have conceivably followed her down the stairs. I don't want to make this unnecessarily confusing, obviously the narrative would be a lot less powerful if he wasn't innocent. However, I do think in the final scene that JRB is just being sensitive to the historical facts of the real-life case - that while the evidence that found Frank guilty was largely circumstantial & trumped-up, we still don't know for sure that he was innocent, despite this common perception that it was a miscarriage of justice. I just googled 'Leo Frank' and the debate over whether this is an open or closed case is still raging today. The final scene goes far enough to communicate his innocence, but just as in the actual case, doesn't establish it factually or indeed identify the actual murderer.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#23
Posted: 10/23/07 at 8:11pm
One of the cast said there are still alot of people who thought Leo actually did it but apparently Leo was sentenced to be innocent in the 1980s?? I duno.. too lazy to google :P

Brilliant show anyway, who'd have thought Rob wouldve done SUCH a BRILLIANT job in directing this show! I mean... he was brilliant enough as a choreographer! Love this man! What a good example of choreographer turned directors! (unlike Jerry Mitchell)
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Parade at the Donmar#24
Posted: 10/24/07 at 3:50am
What's interesting to me is that Rob Ashford was in the original Broadway cast of Parade - in the ensemble. How many of Hal Prince's production ideas came with him, if any? I didn't see it in 1998. Did anyone here?