Page: 1

martin short: fame becomes me

mattie29 Profile Photomattie29 Profile Photo
mattie29
Stand-by
Stand-by
martin short: fame becomes me#1
Posted: 8/13/07 at 3:03pm
tell me if you have heared the cd what ya think and would it do well in the west end ! i think it would do amazing
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#2
Posted: 8/13/07 at 3:07pm
Come off it! -this would die a death in London. No one knows Martin Short here enough to see him on stage. No producer would even give a seconds thought to stageing it in the West End. The show did badly on Broadway and closed after 3 or 4 months.
The CD is fun but just by listening to it you can tel its a very visual show. Some great numbers from the Hairspray team but NOT a London show. 'Big Titties'
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
mattie29 Profile Photomattie29 Profile Photo
mattie29
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: martin short: fame becomes me#2
Posted: 8/13/07 at 3:09pm
i think it would do quite well as a limeted run but alot of people know him cause of the film the 3 amegos
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#3
Posted: 8/13/07 at 3:10pm
Nobody knows him enough to see him in a ful company show like 'Fame Becomes Me It died in Toronto and ON BROADWAY yes BROADWAY.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#4
Posted: 8/13/07 at 4:23pm
I knew who Martin Short were through his films

Though i don't think the show would do well here, i watched it on (a certain format) and was not that impressed, it's funny but the jokes wear thin pretty quick.Its also very cheap.

It played august to January on broaway
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#5
Posted: 8/13/07 at 5:27pm
You think this would go in London, and Chita Rivera wouldn't? Talk about coming out of left field.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#6
Posted: 8/13/07 at 5:58pm
Mattie you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to Ms rivera and Mr short. sorry, and i think a large percentage of posters here are going to agree.
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#7
Posted: 8/13/07 at 9:33pm
The show actually ran a little over 5 months, ending so that Short could return to Hollywood and possibly begin a tour if the circumstances were correct. And the show actually did healthy business once the reviews came out, and even better towards the end of the run.

That said, it could never last in the West End.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: martin short: fame becomes me#8
Posted: 8/14/07 at 5:03am
it's a pleasant show but I saw it on stage live and the jokes wore thin very very rapidly. Some great music though (the strength of the show) but in this case the cd is far better than the full show.

This is certainly NOT a show that people would naturally flock to see. I suspect the vast majority of theater-goers would not know or care who Martin Short is - and nor should they be expected to! Even if they do happen to know who he is, he is hardly a celeb of the magnitude that people would want to come flocking to see! It might as well be Richard Madelely for all the interest it would generate!!

Not that it matters as the could be transplanted to be another person and rewritten, but it doesnt have the wow factor to get people interested enough.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#9
Posted: 8/14/07 at 5:06am
From the CD and the many clips ive seen it looks like one of those madcap Broadway revues from the 50s and 60s. As ive already said it has some great numbers and is worth getting the CD.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#10
Posted: 8/14/07 at 9:13am
"It might as well be Richard Madelely for all the interest it would generate!!"

The difference being that more people know who Richard Madelely is! And I think a tour of 'Richard & Judy - Live!' would be a sizable hit... re: martin short: fame becomes me

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: martin short: fame becomes me#11
Posted: 8/14/07 at 9:18am
Finale Tap Number - "You Say We Pay (No Rip Off)!"
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#12
Posted: 8/14/07 at 9:19am
Can Judy sing? We know Richard cant!
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: martin short: fame becomes me#13
Posted: 8/14/07 at 9:21am
Judy Can Be The Onstage Stripper That Tempts Richard Into A World Of Lust...now excuse me....While i vomit!
Updated On: 8/14/07 at 09:21 AM
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: martin short: fame becomes me#14
Posted: 8/14/07 at 9:22am
Double Post
Updated On: 8/14/07 at 09:22 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#15
Posted: 8/14/07 at 9:31am
Im not knocking 'Fame Becomes Me' in any way. I listen to it 2 or 3 times a month because it is very funny in parts.
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: martin short: fame becomes me#16
Posted: 8/14/07 at 9:33am
can't say its ever appealed - i have listened to the CD once and was really taken
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: martin short: fame becomes me#17
Posted: 8/14/07 at 11:35am
With all due respect to the crapfest of a show. It opened as a limited engagment. That is why people might be suprised to see how long it ran for. it ran that short because it never was an open ended run.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll