Everything in life...is only for now.
Updated On: 8/2/07 at 07:52 PM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#2
Posted: 8/2/07 at 8:04pm
, Leon Lopez (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, TV’s Brookside, Hollyoaks) as Jerome Johnson

Jerome Johnson?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#2
Posted: 8/2/07 at 8:25pm
Oh My God Kylie, sugarbabes,Hollyoaks , i think i just threw up in my mouth a little

HOW DARE THEY PISS ALL OVER THE MEMORY OF JL WORK.

This should have been left way it was, dirty, gritty, nostalgic etc

Rent comments on a generation at specific time in history, a time what changed the way the world approach sex etc.
This is one show that should never be updated,a few cuts here and there are fine, but this is like some pop remake of a classic show.Its like setting west side story in Bradford!!!

This news make me so sad, as someone who has loved rent for a long time im devastated and wont be watching it
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#3
Posted: 8/2/07 at 8:45pm
Rent is a look at american history in specific time peroid in a specfiic plcae. Larson wrote about the AIDS outbreak in his native New York City. The show dioes a wonderful job of explaining how life was like in NYC at that point in time. I do think that it is a very new york show as well it should be. I do think that the wshow has more fans in Britan then it did during the shaftsbury run. This means that there have been people who have gotten into it way after the original run and have yet to see it since. I think that if they kept it the way it was then they would realize that there is a whole slew of people who never saw the orignal who wnated to and now the get the chance to do so.

I can understand and have enjoyed photos of things like different costume or sets. That is fine by me and I wouldn't care or be angry if they decided to do that instead of using the set that is on broadway. But, I am someone who used to go to the show religously and it makes me sick to see them changing the one thaing that matters most about the show. And that is the material.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#4
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:00pm
yeeeeeeeeah winston we finally agree on something lol

Its a shame that the people who have found rent since the shaftsbury run will be introduced to it this way.By all means give it a new look(we all need a makeover every now and again) but this just seems one step to far.
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#5
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:05pm
I have (as you say) found rent since its Shaftsbury run. I loved the film and couldn't wait to see the show 'for real'. I will go and see it, but I still want to know who Jerome Johnson is, sounds a little similar to Maureen Johnson - they can't be changing it that much surely.
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#6
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:10pm
"HOW DARE THEY PISS ALL OVER THE MEMORY OF JL WORK"

Yes, HOW DARE they change a single word of dialogue or staging! How COULD THEY!

Really, could you wait until the show has a chance to OPEN before you start freaking out?
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#7
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:12pm
Erm no, obviously
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#8
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:35pm
I was really looking forward to seeing it when it arrived back in London. But...I'm going to wait to the reviews come in. If worse comes to worse, I'd rather save up and jet off to Broadway to go and see it the way it was meant to be.
Everything in life...is only for now.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#9
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:40pm
Amen
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#10
Posted: 8/3/07 at 4:14am
HANG ON you havent even seen this show yet, you havent heard any clips or seen any extracts from the script, and if we're being honest the show needed updating, and for all we know this could be the best show any of us ever see, so when do booking lines open cause im first in the que!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#11
Posted: 8/3/07 at 6:21am
Will be waiting for the reviews but I can honestly say I am hoping it will still be open in New York this time next year when I go there, as this sounds absolutely crap.
Marcus2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#12
Posted: 8/3/07 at 6:45am
Woah tough crowd hey! As the guy said JL died when the show would have been tightened etc and he would deffinatly want the show to reach new levels etc, just becuase he died doesn't mean the show can never be changed, the heart and soul is still there just somethings are a little different. Its been showen that Rent wasn't succesful over here so why not update it and play around with it and see if it does, I'm sure JL would approve of it!

If it were any other show nobody would care but as soon as you add death to it, its like its the bible or something and can not be changed!
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#13
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:18am
Do you guys even realise what changes they have made to the show? If you actually read it, the scenery is virtually the same, except more crome, which will make it less dull if we're being honest.
Ok, theyve shortened the show down to just over 2 hours, but on Broadway the show only lasts 2 hours 10 minutes anyway, so what he's cut, 5, 10 minutes out, and it's not set in USA anymore, but it's set no where so it allows you to use your imagination more, which you lot obvioulsy dont have, and will make it more appropriate to UK, and the only other change is that they mention more up to date methods of HIV and Aids treatment, so what are you guys complaining about, he's made GOOD changes and the cast, I think they will be very good, and can you remeber how hard it is to cast for rent, the roles are very individual and challenging, so lay off this new version!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#14
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:24am
Oh come on this is a terrible idea.

Rent is a show which is very much set in a certain time, it was a New York story not a UK one.

JL wanted to create a rock opera not a pop opera.According to playbill the songs will sound completely different,WHY???.The songs have stood up so well and some have become recognizable classics, they dont need to be made to sound like pop songs for the sake of getting tweens in to the theatre.

Bringing the show to the present day presents about a million problems, the main one been how far we have come with HIV medication and the fact that all medication in the UK is free.

Performance Art what Maureen does was very much a New York thing at that specific time.

I could go on but this has got me so angry, no one asked for this and no one wanted it.

The UK has been waiting for a new production of Rent to open which people can go to and see why its played so well on broadway.They want to see it in all its original harsh and dirty glory.

This isn't that production
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#15
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:58am
I am all for a new version. The old version felt dated when it came here first. Not to mention the second time it came to the west end - even ignoring the travesty of Caprice. Thing it, we do not NEED a carbon copy Rent in the West end so soon again so something new, if we have to have the show at all, is certainly going to be refreshing.

Whether it works or not, well who knows and I am certainyl not excited by some of the casting announced.

So it may work or fall flat on its face but well done for trying it differently. This is not a show that HAS to be as Larson imagined it - it is hardly, nor should it be, sacrosanct. As indeed many pieces of theatre shouldnt be. I recall the absolute vitriol on the message boards about Doyle's Sweeney Todd and such and how awful they would be. Yet they turned out pretty well indeed!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#16
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:10pm
Your missing the point

Giving it a makeover is fine, im all for that but this is a re imagining A POP OPERA

Sweeney todd didn't move the location, change the music etc
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#17
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:28pm
You're living in America
At the end of the millennium
You're living in America
Where it's like the Twilight Zone
And when you're living in America
At the end of the millennium
You're what you own
So I own not a notion
I escape and ape content
I don't own emotion -- I rent

So will they now sing about living in a nondescript location at a nondescript time?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#18
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:31pm
Exactly

and that is one of the best songs in the show
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#19
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:46pm
no - not missing the point at all. I see no problem at all in the total reinvention of it. And hopefully it will make for a more satisfying experience. If not, then so be it.

Updated On: 8/3/07 at 12:46 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#20
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:46pm
Now... I'm not judging the finished product. And I probably will go to see it (although I'll be digging out whatever discounts I can find!).

But what I read in that article has appalled and disgusted me.

I hope beyond all hope it doesn't turn out to suck donkey balls. XP
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 12:46 PM
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#21
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:48pm
it surely cannot be as bad (trite, dull, laboured and all that) as the recent outing of Rent.
Pip-boy
Swing
Swing
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#22
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:55pm
I am all for a new version although the Sugarbabes girl does not inspire confidence.

I loved it at the Shaftebury where it became one of my often-viewed shows but loathed what it had become when it came the the Prince of Wales. It lacked any impact at all there and sadly, for me, it did come across as pretentiously dated. I also saw it 2 years ago in New York to try to restore my faith in it but it was a real snooze-fest and a lifeless affair. Thinking that might have been me and jet lag and the like I went back this February but no, it held very little appeal and had lost most of its spark. A crying shame.

So I am intrigued by the prospect of this version despite several misgivings. I am still not sure we need it though but I also would much prefer a different version if it revitalises it, regardless of whether or not it matches Jonathan Larson's vision.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#23
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:49pm
I posted these thoughts on the Broadway board:

It should be interesting. And I hope we get a chance to at least hear what they are doing with it.

I don't know why, but his statement -

“When Rent was first produced, Jonathan tragically died at the point when it would have been tightened up. We’ve edited it a lot, taken it down to its core, down to core relationships and issues".

- bothers me a bit. As if he knew what Larson had in mind at the time. And how does he know the show was not tightened up by the director after Mr. Larson died? It is fine to update it if he wants but as stated, we will always have the original. My thought also is that theatre "transforms" you. The show is set in the early 90's (correct?) and I think one should be ready to be taken back to that time. Why update it to "pacify" the kids who look at music differently. This is not an old album of songs, it is a multi award winning Broadway show. It depicts a certain time, style of music and lifestyle, etc. When I see a show set in the past, present, future or fantasy world, I let it take me there. I am also worried about what they will cut.

But again, it will be interesting to hear what they will do with it. And this is Mr. Baker's first outing as a Director. I see he is was Kylie Minogue's former creative director so we have an idea what this show may look like. Just my random thoughts.
Just give the world Love.
Jade Profile PhotoJade Profile Photo
Jade
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Rent: Opening 16 Oct#24
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:56pm
I say don't judge it until you've seen it.

I saw the Shaftesbury Theatre production, both UK Tours and the Broadway production and loved them all. However, I am intrigued as to what this new production will be like. After all, there must be a reason why it's done so badly over here and if the changes make it more relevant to a UK audience then perhaps it will finally stick around in the West End.