Page: 1

Grey Gardens in London

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Grey Gardens in London#1
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:20am
With the announcement that Christine Ebersole is doing Margo Channing in New York it looks like Londons wait for 'Grey Gardens' could be rather long. She's doing 'Applause' in NY for a week in Feb 08 so that means she wont be in london with GG until at least next summer. I so hope that it gets here eventualy after seeing it twice i fell in love with it. I know a debate has been going on a while now as to weather it would work in the UK i hope it gets a chance.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Grey Gardens in London#2
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:45am

It would be nice to see this here despite the horrible "book" of the musical. It has some lovely songs and is a great vehicle for the leads but god this show dragged on and on.

Unfortunately I dont see it being that successful here (depending on how you define success I guess) as the original documentary would be unknown to most I feel and the musical is not strong enough to stand out on its own merits. Whereas in the US it is a very well known documentary and that helped the show enormously.

So merely a musical of curiosity value only.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#2
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:48am
I agree Bruce, its not like the ladies were very wellknow in the UK. Such a shame if it doesnt, i think its a lovely show. It could easily be scaled down a lot to maybe play a smaller house.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Grey Gardens in London#3
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:50am

Yes I agree and it would need a LOT of re-working to make it more understandable to the typical British audience member who is unfamiliar with the back story.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#4
Posted: 7/27/07 at 9:01am
The 2 documentarys are just fantastic. What they should do to get it know in the UK is to put it on after Coronation Street one night! I saw the show on Broadway with very very little knowledge of the background. I was totaly enthralled by it and the following day bought the the 2 documentarys which ive now seen twice. They are worth getting even if you may never get to see the show.
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Grey Gardens in London#5
Posted: 7/27/07 at 1:02pm
There is no need to rework this. No need at all.

Its highly accessible to a reasonably intelligent audience member.

Although such a model would envisage a limited run in a small theatre with good publicity and features in the upmarket newspapers.

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#6
Posted: 7/28/07 at 11:00pm
The Grey Gardens documentry was not as big a deal in the states as you make it sound. There were a lot of people inluding myself who never even heard of the docuumentry until the film. And when they were to ask someone what it was they would hear in reply that it was based on the documentry.

Point of the rambling is that I do not think that it would work well in London. the backstory is one that I don't thhink many would know or understand. But then again, it did well as a show without many people knowing the documentry.

I still think that there is going to be some time prior to the show comming to London. I am not suprised Ebersole has time to do other shows. There was never an offical announcment as to when it would open up in London. There was the announcement that it would open in London not when it would.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#7
Posted: 7/29/07 at 6:43am
Winston youve just basicaly repeated what everyone has already said here! We would al love it to come to London but wonder would it work or not. Its great that producers are toying with bringing it in the first place. It shows they have some conviction in it - we're all praying it will BUT it will be interesting if Ms Ebersole comes or not. My thinking is it will come but with UK casting and a scaled down production.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#8
Posted: 7/29/07 at 1:30pm
It has been annoucned that Ebersole WILL do it in London. Despite the fact that there was an article by Michael Ridel ( the only trustworthy writer for the rag of a newspaper that is the New York Post) that spoke about hwo poorly the proudcers handled the show and he said that it was comparable to a kid in the sand box. They had so much money that they considered the show to be another toy that when they are done with it they will throw it to the wsaide and play with something else.

He also went on to say that hte producers weren't nice to Ebersole.

And I want to ask you all this. When has there been a Broadway to London transfer that was sacled down to the equlivant of an off broadway or london production?
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#9
Posted: 7/29/07 at 1:38pm
No, just smaller set, theatre etc. Mind you, the Walter Kerr in NY isnt a huge house. Somewhere like the Lyric on Shaftesbury Ave would be perfect or a few others.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#10
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:44pm
Ebersole may or may not be doing it in London. If it even makes it to London. My sources have told me that London may not happen.
Just give the world Love.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#11
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:02pm
I have also heard that this may not come to London due to its financial loss on broadway.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Pip-boy
Swing
Swing
re: Grey Gardens in London#12
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:12pm
It's a nice show; nothing special but it has two very intriguing characters and a gorgeous score. However, I am not sure how/if it would sell itself here or even with terrific publicity how people might warm to it or think "oo that sounds good".
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 02:12 PM
bingbong
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Grey Gardens in London#13
Posted: 8/4/07 at 3:54pm
Ha - i heard Trevor Nunn talking about this in my local nero's about a month and a bit ago.

- not that i heard much, so it's nothing to talk about, but i was slightly in awe of him (acting totally cool of course, lol) and my ears did pric when he mentioned the show.

re: Grey Gardens in London xx
postergirl
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Grey Gardens in London#14
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:21pm
I don't think it's necessary to be familiar with the documentaries to understand or enjoy the show. I'd never seen them and loved it. I knew nothing about the Beales other than they were related to Jackie Kennedy. I can't, however, imagine the show without Christine Ebersol. I bought the Maysles doc after seeing the show and was absolutely stunned by how both Christine and Mary Louise captured those two women.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Grey Gardens in London#15
Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:03am
i knew zero about these two ladies when i saw the show the first time and simply loved it. I bought the DVDs within days and they are brilliant. You certainly dont need to see the DVDs -its just a well written piece that can stand on its own. I do hope it gets seen in London