Page: 1

Qustion about UK national tours

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Qustion about UK national tours#1
Posted: 7/7/07 at 7:26pm
I know that on broadway if a show goes on tour they tour while the broadway production is playing. But, I ge the impression that in London they would close down the west end production then have a tour. Am I correct in thinkingthat. Is the norm in London for whos to close prior totouing and in America it is common for shows to tour while still going on broadway?
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Qustion about UK national tours#2
Posted: 7/7/07 at 7:55pm
Most london shows tend to close before a tour goes out around the country.

Fame sometimes sends out a tour whilst it is still playing in London as does Blood Brothers and maybe a few others but most shows tend to either do 1 or the other.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Pinball Wizard Profile PhotoPinball Wizard Profile Photo
Pinball Wizard
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Qustion about UK national tours#2
Posted: 7/7/07 at 9:13pm
Yes, almost all West End shows finish their run in London before a national tour goes out. The different between the US and the UK is simply the sheer scale of the countries. In the US it's more the norm to tour whilst a show is still playing on Broadway because it's not like you can pop across for the weekend from the West Coast, or even from those states on the East Coast for the majority. In contrast, the size of the UK means that people are able to drive for a few hours and reach London and the West End, and it's common practice for this to happen.

It's simply not economical for a producer to have a show running in London, and on a national tour when theres only a couple of hours driving distance between the two productions in a small country.

This said, there are of course examples of shows going on tour when they are still in London. Usually the long, long runners which look set to stay in the capital for years, and thus producers know their popularity and selling-capacity is guarenteed taking them to the regions as well. Both Les Miserables and The Phantom of the Opera have been on UK national tours, albeit only once or twice each over a twenty year period, and only to 6 venues over many months at each theatre. This said Mamma Mia! and The Lion King have never been on tour, demonstrating the fact it would not be economical to do so.

Smaller productions such as Blood Brothers, Fame and Chicago have been in both the West End and on tour (all 3 of them are out in the regions at the moment). When it comes to Wicked, We Will Rock You, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, they are simply too big to drive short distances between venues away from the capital for a large return, or don't have the popularity for both to be running at once (e.g. - Guys and Dolls gave up in London whilst the UK tour was out on the road (there were I'm sure other circumstances engaged in this though!))
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Qustion about UK national tours#3
Posted: 7/7/07 at 9:37pm
I think Mamma Mia! has only been outside London once in Edinburgh with it International Tour...so that would definitely not count as a UK Tour since it was a limited run in a northern city.
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Qustion about UK national tours#4
Posted: 7/8/07 at 7:49am
Mamma mia Played the Manchester Palace the christmas just gone for 3 months
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Qustion about UK national tours#5
Posted: 7/8/07 at 10:10am
And it's coming to Bristol.
Updated On: 7/8/07 at 10:10 AM
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Qustion about UK national tours#6
Posted: 7/8/07 at 2:24pm
Thanks Pinball Wizard. I never thought of it that way before. In America tours and prouctions of shows pop up all over the place ( example Wicked) Due to the fact that they can get more money if they have ieahter a tour or spread out across the country. I guess it works because US is MUCH bigger then England. I didn't realize how much smaller it was though. I knew it was possible to drive to London from one side of the country but I didn't realize how often it is done.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Qustion about UK national tours#7
Posted: 7/8/07 at 3:30pm
"Chicago" has been touring as well while the West End production is run well and not planning to quit !

And trust me, the touring cast was far better than the current cast when I saw it in May 2005 in Birmingham Victoria Theatre...
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"