Wicked closing notices?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked closing notices?#1
Posted: 7/6/07 at 11:38pm
The title says it all, but we are hearing in Australia that "Wicked" has placed closing notices, or is about too.

Can any one give me anymore info?
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#2
Posted: 7/7/07 at 12:39am
The Aussie production hasn't even open yet. There has been some discussion however about the current state of the London production. Some are wondering how much longer it will stay open and other say that it is doing fine and isn't going anywhere.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#2
Posted: 7/7/07 at 1:07am
I know the Australian production has not opened, i was not asking about that!

All i was saying is we are hearing that the London Production is closing.

The reason i ask is some people believe that "Wicked" will be the biggest hit musical to open here ( Australia ) since Phantom, me i am not so sure.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Wicked closing notices?#3
Posted: 7/7/07 at 3:02am
right, im a huge Wicked fan, but i'll be the first to say it is suffering, at the theatre its at. it may only have 75% attendance at each show, but the theatre is the largest capacity in the west end holding just over 2450, so with it 75% full thats still 1838 people, which is way more than most theatres can hold, so i Very much doubt it will close in London, however it might move theatres, but that is a huge work up with the amount of fixed scenery they have!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#4
Posted: 7/7/07 at 3:13am
I'm with you rosscoe (re WICKED in Oz). I guess if WICKED were to close in the UK it would free up a large capacity theatre for the much mooted (here) limited run of the Jackman production of THE BOY FROM OZ.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#5
Posted: 7/7/07 at 8:32am
I said ages ago and got blasted for it , wicked has already been searching for venues in the UK to mount a uk Tour so that to me would indicate that it will be out by years end.

The same people blasted me about 5 months ago when i said poppins would close as it was looking at touring the UK ,look what happened there
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked closing notices?#6
Posted: 7/7/07 at 8:38am
Hey SADM2 a lot of blasting goes on here wouldnt you agree. A lot of blasting of people who are in the know from people who are then proven to be definatly not in the know!!! People ask for info and people give info but they get blasted either way! Whats up with these people
Ryan2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Wicked closing notices?#7
Posted: 7/7/07 at 8:55am
Wicked never really took off as expected in the UK. However, it has broken BO records and for a theatre that size, it does do well. The costs to run WICKED are huge, but the show is making money left, right & centre in NYC and I did hear it mention that WICKED could run at loss for 2 years in the UK and with the NYC production and US Tours selling out still make Wicked Productions a huge amount of money. I guess if the show really is flopping it's how proud they are about loosing its status of being a flop in London. They have spent huge amounts of money in that theatre too.

My guess is it will run at least until the late end of the year before any decision is made. They just need to do more to make it UK commercial.
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked closing notices?#8
Posted: 7/7/07 at 9:03am
When i left the office yesterday at 6pm Wicked wasnt closeing any time soon. It is being heavily discussed about touring it next year. The tour, at the moment is expexted to run along the West End production but that of course doesnt mean the show couldnt come off in town at any time. Touring and London are very different machines believe me. The show is above its projected business plan from last year so no fears of Glindas bubble bursting soon.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#9
Posted: 7/7/07 at 9:38am
well what i heard weeks ago was they wanted to tour the show from mid next year and were looking at Manchester or Birmingham to kick start the tour.
The show would close in london as they would not spend more money bringing a second production out if the first production is loosing money.
The show would probably use Most of the West End set as Mary Poppins is doing to tour and just do 3 to 6 month sit downs in venues that could hold it.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Wicked closing notices?#10
Posted: 7/7/07 at 9:43am
I would be sad if it closes since it is a very good not, not THE show, but a real good one !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked closing notices?#11
Posted: 7/7/07 at 2:42pm
Would it come down to The Mayflower Southampton by any chance?

.... counting my lucky stars.....
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked closing notices?#12
Posted: 7/7/07 at 3:00pm
Birmingham -Hippodrome
Bristol -Hippodrome
Manchester -Palace or Opera House
Edinburgh -Playhouse or Festival
and yes Southampton -Mayflower
IF it tours theyll play all the old biggies. Possibly as long as 2 or 3 months in each.
mikeyb16 Profile Photomikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked closing notices?#13
Posted: 7/7/07 at 3:45pm
If it's Touring the UK, it HAS to come to the Wales Millenium Centre in Cardiff. It's a beautiful theatre witha large stage to accommodate WICKED and the seating has a capacity of over 1300 (I think, but very large)
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked closing notices?#14
Posted: 7/7/07 at 4:18pm
YES!

Thanks
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked closing notices?#15
Posted: 7/7/07 at 4:21pm
Hope it doesn't close though re: Wicked closing notices?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#16
Posted: 7/7/07 at 8:02pm
I recently went to Wicked last Friday and while it wasn't sold out, it was extremely busy. One of the things that I found out while chatting to one of the American tourists is that because the NY production is always sold out, they are going to see the London production as it is more available which can only be a good thing.

Also, The Apollo Victoria is a very big theatre with 2304 seats compared to The Gershwin Theatre in New York which holds about 1804 seats and so it is a lot harder to sell out over here compared to NY.
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#17
Posted: 7/7/07 at 9:41pm
I think it's foolish for almost any show to book a theatre with a 2,000+ capacity. The average joes do not think about how many seats need to be filled...they see many empty seats and start talking.
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#18
Posted: 7/8/07 at 3:07pm
Thanks to Phantom, I agree with you. The theatre doesn't have to be sold to the brim in order to keep the show going. Wicked is lucky on broadway that it is ne of the first shows that has been able to fill the largest theatre on broadway. It's true that a lot of peopel just see thatthe theatre isn't full to the top and assumethat the show must be doing bad and thus closing soon. There is more to how well a show is doing then just how many people are in the theatre at a given preformance. For all you know, the night before could have been sold out and the preformance your at isn't. Dosen't mean that the show is going to close.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked closing notices?#19
Posted: 7/8/07 at 3:17pm
It is a huge theatre and I bet it is selling more seats than there were in the whole theatre during Starlight Express's time there. In my opinion the show work best in a big theatre, but that means more seats to sell, Phantom of the Opera has run all these years in a house holding only 1209 seats, and Les Miserables now has under 1000 (even the Palace had less than 1500). 2313 seats is as many as Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera Put together and some left over!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#20
Posted: 7/8/07 at 4:21pm
It's all very well saying shows shouldn't book to play in 2,000+ houses like the Apollo Victoria but... what else are you meant to do with a theatre? :/
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Wicked closing notices?#21
Posted: 7/8/07 at 4:38pm
so as I said at the begining of this thread if there is only 75% attendance at a peformance of Wicked that is still 1726 people which is more than most theatres hold so it cant be doind bad!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#22
Posted: 7/9/07 at 6:45pm
I personally find it amazing that Wicked plays in broadways biggest theatre (the gershwin) and yet it sells out night after night after night. I do think that even with the Apollo Victora even half full it might be comparable to maximum copacity in a different theatre.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked closing notices?#23
Posted: 7/9/07 at 7:45pm
I think Wicked is more successful on Broadway and the rest of the US is that the Wizard of Oz is part of American Culture and is somewhat a American fairy tale unlike in the UK where people are more familiar with the film.

mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked closing notices?#24
Posted: 7/10/07 at 6:04am
Over 2000 seats is huge for a theatre. Was the Apollo originally a cinema or a concert venue? It's hard to imagine anyone building a theatre that big on purpose.