Page: 1

The Mousetrap - reviews

CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Mousetrap - reviews#1
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:24am
I know there is a thread going about mousetrap at the moment anyway, but thats about it closing, if it ever does! So i am considering going to see it and I just want to know peoples views on it, I know its been going for 55 years so must be very good, however is it starting to fail and what is it exactly about, without giving away the ending?
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
fflagg Profile Photofflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Mousetrap - reviews#2
Posted: 6/24/07 at 6:49pm
It is a short story which became a play.

Typical Christie plot in which people are stranded in a snowstorm, there is a murder. Wonderful atmosphere and claustrophobia.

The Christie estate will not permit a film based on the story until the show closes.
Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Mousetrap - reviews#2
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:39pm
Where was it said that The Mousetrap was closeing? The only press reports recently regarding the show were about its possible transfer back to the Ambassadors Theatre where it began its life 55 years ago. Every year the show is reviewed by most, but not all of the English press. Yes they give it a hard time regarding its very old world presentation of acting and story telling but they always give it a thumbs up and we can expect this old theatrical work horse to be entertaining our friends from Japan and the US for possibly another 55 years. Its NY life didnt last very long and the play closed after a matter of months i believe. The Canadian production only closed back in 2004 after a very, very respectable 26 year run.
See it, its great fun

Updated On: 6/24/07 at 08:39 PM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Mousetrap - reviews#3
Posted: 6/25/07 at 1:23pm
No need to get quite so excited, it wasn't a "ZOMG THE MOUSETRAP'S CLOSING!" thread, just a "d'you suppose The Mousetrap will ever close?" one. I'm sure it's not gone too far away (I'd hunt it down myself but I'm at work and this computer is painfully slow), if you fancy contributing your expert opinion. Will it run forever? Will it reach a milestone (say 100 years) and close with a fanfare? Will it do things the traditional way and just run until it's financially idiotic to keep going and shut with a whimper? That's all that thread was. :P
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Mousetrap - reviews#4
Posted: 6/25/07 at 1:32pm
YET AGAIN! your jumping onmy comments! What do you mean "dont get too excited' read my first line - im just asking where the news came from. Thats all.
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Mousetrap - reviews#5
Posted: 6/25/07 at 1:35pm
Me, my personal feelings are that yes it has run its course. Its a tourist attraction and not a theatrical attraction and should have been put to rest awhile ago. Its a peice of history making theatre and we shouild be proud of it. Hey Weez, gauranteed the moment it closes the tour will proberbly open in Bath dont you think?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Mousetrap - reviews#6
Posted: 6/25/07 at 1:49pm
If it ever does close, I'm pretty sure everyone in the world will have seen it so there might not be a need to tour. ;D The Theatre Royal certainly has the right size and target audience though, so if it ever did tour, I'd be shocked if we weren't included on the list!

Also due to it being a tourist attraction and really rather cheap to run, I don't suppose it ever will whimper and pass away naturally. If it were down to me, I'd wait for a milestone then BAM. Why not have a big ol' celebration and move on?

As for the play itself, I rather enjoyed it. In this day and age of twisty turny stories, it's a little less mentally flummoxing than I'm sure it used to be (either that or I'm getting good at predicting mystery endings in my old age, and I'm fairly sure that's not right!). But it's a very solidly put together production, and the tradition of bringing in a whole new cast every year helps keep it fresh. I sometimes feel other shows could certainly learn from this practice! But yes, well worth a trip, if only so you can say you've seen a record breaker (without having to sit among noisy herds of tourists at 'Les Mis' *shudders*).
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Mousetrap - reviews#7
Posted: 6/25/07 at 4:40pm
'...And Then There Were None!" died a death in the West End last year. Dame Agatha has always done the most stunning business touring the regions and always attracting star names for tours of up to 7 or 8 months-this is back in the 70s and 80s. The recent expolsion of Christie plays is to do with a company set up specialy to stage new workings of her classic plays and they in turn have done great business on the road. The Christie estate banned all productions of her work for 10 years to allow a new generation to discover them. A new production is out there now, 'The Unexpected Guest' but i dont think we'll see one in the West End again very soon. The Vaudeville Theatre seemed to be the favourite theatre for Agatha Christie plays- i saw at least 3 there. 'The Mousetrap' would sell out on tour i think out of shear curiosity.
I can see the poster now - "Direct From 85 Years in Londons West End" mmm
Updated On: 6/25/07 at 04:40 PM