Page: 1

New Yorker coming in August... what to see?

Heybeenfood Profile PhotoHeybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What is worthwhile over on the West End?
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Firstly (& I'm really sorry to be picky) it's "in the West End". Forgive me my anal-retentive moment of the day...

It's hard to say what with all the Broadway/London crossover nowadays. I would recommend you to save your time and money, but it's becoming clear about LOTR that it's a show where you have to decide for yourself - also if you've never seen Laura Michelle Kelly perform it's worth seeing just for her. I doubt a Broadway transfer, and it's a chance to see the most expensive musical in history (and decide whether it was worth the money).
Billy Elliot is transferring in 2008, it's good fun though & I'd recommend it.
I've seen both now, and the West End version of Mary Poppins is far superior (I really objected to the changes they made for Broadway - which, be warned, have been also been largely adopted in London - I'm not sure if darker is the right word but the original production was certainly a lot less saccharine). Scarlet Strallen, LMK's first replacement, has now returned to the show - far more convincing than Ashley Brown, her dancing is excellent.
I could wax lyrically about the London revival of Little Shop of Horrors for a VERY long time (again I preferred this to the 2003 Broadway revival), I saw this not so long ago and have already booked to see it again. Paul Keating is just how I'd imagine Seymour, very quirky performance (in a good way!), lovely singing voice, gets you feeling a lot of empathy for the character by the end. The plant is just superb. Blockbuster it ain't but in terms of quality and entertainment it's a lot more fun than its bigger-budget competitors. Definitely one of my must-sees.
There's also ALW's "reality" shows - SOM (with Connie Fisher - seriously overrated) and Joseph (with Lee Mead, who judging from the TV shows, is rather good). It's a shame Lesley Garrett is no longer in SOM but Margaret Preece (who overdubbed Minnie Driver in POTO) as Mother Abbess does a good job of filling her shoes.
Drowsy Chaperone is a hard one, if you've never seen her live before then Elaine Paige could be an experience (she is VERY funny), saying that Bob will have left by August so I'm not sure if it's worth it.
I don't know if it's worth mentioning the "W" word... but Kerry Ellis is definitely a top-tier Elphaba. I wish I could say the same about Helen Dallimore, but unfortunately not (hope that doesn't sound too harsh...) Doesn't matter really, Diane Pilkington will have replaced her by August, we shall have to see. Oliver Tompsett is a massive improvement on Adam Garcia (as Fiyero), Adam's dancing I enjoyed in Act I but it's nice to have a Fiyero who can actually come through vocally in As Long As You're Mine. Oliver takes over officially on July 16.
Lastly, in Spamalot Hannah Waddingham as Lady of the Lake is an experience, the things she can do with her voice are outta this world... I sat there & couldn't believe my ears. Simon Russell Beale is an excellent replacement for Tim Curry, so funny. Again, if you have no time for the show then it isn't worth it.
Hope you have a good time!

Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Updated On: 6/21/07 at 12:36 AM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Also if you want something that's not on Broadway you could try -
Blood Brothers
We Will Rock You
Dirty Dancing
Cabaret

Im seeing Little Shop of horrors in about a week, but ive heard nothing but praise for this production of it so it will be worth a visit.

Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I don't rate Blood Brothers at all, also it's not really a musical...
Cabaret is interesting but only if you have the time, I was disappointed by Michael Hayden's performance - was expecting better things from him (also Honor Blackman isn't that great). Loved all the raunchiness (very amusing!), I personally think the Nazi element was overdone, it's one of those things which is hard to judge - but a little subtlety would have gone a long way. James Dreyfus is definitely worth seeing as the Emcee, he's up there with Joel and Alan in my opinion.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on Blood Brothers. Not really a musical? Umm.....Its a musical based on the play and has probably more singing than dialogue. One of my fave shows which I think alot of Americans enjoy. Then again, I know alot of them don't enjoy it. Its like marmite, either love it or you hate it :).
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I didn't really hate Blood Brothers, I do think there are better shows out there however. Tell Me It's Not True is a good number (if just a bit derivative).