RFH Re-opening season

rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
RFH Re-opening season#1
Posted: 3/7/07 at 9:04am
just seen this on whatsonstage.com

A major new production of Carmen Jones, Oscar Hammerstein II’s 1943 musical adaptation of Bizet’s classic 1875 opera, will be staged for six weeks only this summer as part of the reopening season at the Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall
Running from 31 July to 2 September 2007 (previews from 25 July), the fully stage production of Carmen Jones will be directed by Southbank Centre artistic director Jude Kelly (whose English National Opera staging of Leonard Bernstein’s On the Town returns to the London Coliseum next month) and produced by Raymond Gubbay. The production continues Gubbay’s tradition of summer musicals at the RFH which, prior to Hall’s closure, included revivals of Follies and On Your Toes.

In addition to the full concert programme, the mainstay of the RFH, highlights of the reopening season will include Welsh star Bryn Terfel taking the title role as the demon barber of Fleet Street in a new operatic staging of Stephen Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd in July.

Can't wait to see Sweeny it suits the style and format of opera so well, if you have seen the roh production a few years ago you should understand this. Interested to see carman jones as i dont know anything really about this show any oppinions??
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RFH Re-opening season#2
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:05am
Sweeney is on when I'm on holiday. I'm quite upset about that.

I have nothing else to add re: RFH Re-opening season

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: RFH Re-opening season#2
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:12am
....! Eastwickien you just made me realise! I'm actualy going away for the whole of summer!! I totaly forgot till you said that! great now im gutted im prob guna miss both! how could I forget that!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RFH Re-opening season#3
Posted: 3/7/07 at 1:00pm
I'm going away in July too. re: RFH Re-opening season

... to London so I can see 'Sweeney Todd'. Sometimes it rocks to be me. re: RFH Re-opening season Any idea when booking opens?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RFH Re-opening season#4
Posted: 3/7/07 at 4:42pm
Brian Wilson, has composed a new work at the request of the RFH for the new opening......

Brian WIlson Returns to Southbank Centre with Newly Commissioned Suite

For Six Nights Only in September 2007 at The Royal Festival Hall

BOOK TICKETS NOW

Having called London's Royal Festival Hall his "spiritual home away from home," Brian Wilson, legendary writer, producer, arranger and performer of some of the most unforgettable and inspirational music in rock history, returns in September 2007 for six nights with a concert repertoire highlighted by the world premiere of a brand-new work. Commissioned by Southbank Centre as part of its opening season, Wilson reveals that the piece "is called That Lucky Old Sun (a Narrative), and as he describes it, "will consist of four ‘rounds’, with interspersed spoken word."

In addition to that premiere, there will be quite a few other surprises in the concerts: Brian will be digging even deeper into his remarkable song catalogue and with his formidable ten-piece band, will be presenting a number of his classic compositions that he has never performed live as well at least one song in honour of a very important anniversary.

Glenn Max, Producer, Meltdown Festival & Music Programmes at Southbank Centre says: ‘Despite his status as a 'pop genius' and his countless musical achievements, Brian has always had to struggle courageously against adversial forces and a historic lack of support from the industry and those around him. I'm very proud to be part of an organisation that has consistently backed Brian's most creative work. He deserves this.’

Brian Wilson previously performed at the Royal Festival Hall in January and June 2002 and in February 2004, when the South Bank was home to the world premiere of Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE. The January 2002 dates were his first ever performances as a solo artist in the UK and at those shows, Wilson performed nearly two-dozen of his greatest hits including the much celebrated recording, Pet Sounds in its entirety.

The four January 2002 concerts sold out immediately and were greeted with such acclaim that when Wilson was invited to perform at the Queen’s Jubilee Concert in June of that year, he returned to Royal Festival Hall for two more SRO nights. Among those who attended Brian’s Festival Hall performances were, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey, Eric Clapton, Elvis Costello, Richard Ashcroft, and others. The gigs were cited as the "Concert of the Year" by most UK critics. Brian Wilson and the Royal Festival Hall were honoured with the 'Live Event of the Year Award' (2002) by Time Out Magazine.

In February 2004, for the first time in his 40-year career, Wilson performed his mythical unreleased masterpiece, Smile, live at the Royal Festival Hall, propelling that symphonic work to global acclaim, a gold record in the UK and worldwide sales approaching one million. Those 2004 concerts included classic Beach Boys and Brian Wilson favourites as well as selections from his most recent solo album Gettin’ In Over My Head (Rhino 2004), his first 21st -century studio album.

Born and raised in California, Wilson co-founded The Beach Boys with his two younger brothers Carl and Dennis, cousin Mike Love and school friend Alan Jardine. They became the most successful American rock band in history.

The Beach Boys and Wilson are responsible for such spectacular works as Good Vibrations, I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, California Girls, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder), God Only Knows and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.

Listings Information:
Brian Wilson
Southbank Centre
Royal Festival Hall – 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 16 September, 7.30pm
Tickets £55 £45 £35
Ticket Office: 0871 663 2500 / www.southbankcentre.co.uk

Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RFH Re-opening season#5
Posted: 5/10/07 at 1:21pm
They're now taking bookings for 'Sweeney Todd'. Starring Bryn Terfel as Sweeney, and Maria Friedman as Mrs Lovett.

I may have just wet myself. Or perhaps my kecks are just soggy from walking home in the rain. Either way, I've booked my ticket and am terrifically excited. :3
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RFH Re-opening season#6
Posted: 5/11/07 at 5:06am
Byn Terfel, Maria Freidman and a full symphony orchestra playing one of the finest scores ever written.

Now I'm even more upset re: RFH Re-opening season

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RFH Re-opening season#7
Posted: 6/13/07 at 1:05pm
OH. MY. *GOD*.

My favourite musical.

Starring - as Judge Turpin - MY FAVOURITE ACTOR.

I may or may not have just wet myself in sheer GLEE at the newest additions to the cast; Adrian Thompson as Pirelli, Daniel Evans (who I also love) as Tobias, Steve Elias as the Beadle, and Philip Quast as Judge Turpin!

That's just about made my YEAR! I adore Philip Quast, I adore 'Sweeney Todd', and I'm SO UNBELIEVABLY PLEASED to hear this latest bit of casting news. Thank christ I already booked my ticket!

(Um, I'm not actually incontinent, I just tend to threaten to urinate whenever I get very excited. I just realised how bad it looks that I've made the same threat twice in one thread...)
Updated On: 6/13/07 at 01:05 PM