Page: 1

The Avenue Q and Clare foster love thread

Cain Profile PhotoCain Profile Photo
Cain
Swing
Swing
The Avenue Q and Clare foster love thread#1
Posted: 1/11/07 at 9:12am
Hey guys I'm a great fan of Ave Q and great lover of the playing cast and Ensemble...BUT feel i need to take a stand against those who are continously comparing CLARE to JULIE, NAOKO to ANN, LUKE to SIMON, GABRIEL to JON, MATT to GILES, GLORIA to CLARE.....THESE ARE TRAINED PERFORMERS CONGRATULATE them on their skills with out them we would all be at home watching coronation street or emmerdale

I feel that we as audience memebers shouldn't be comparing the understudy to the role...because firstly we are being bias in our opinion due to seeing the orignal person play it first....i have seen the show on numerous occassions and can say that it doesn't
matter whose on i have found that individual hilariously funny and amusing and entertaining

SO WHO AMONG YOU will take a stand with me and praise the undertudies for without them the show would not go.

LOVE U TOO CLARE and ur work XX
WhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile PhotoWhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile Photo
WhoPaintedTheKitten?
Understudy
Understudy
Theres nothing wrong with comparing the main actor to the understudy- people discuss things like this all the time.
"...if you rearrange the letters in the word unemployed, it spells OPPORTUNITY!" - Gary Coleman, Ave. Q
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Agreed - and of course it matter whose playing the role. Understudies often have a different take on the character, so on a forum like this they are going to be compared and contrasted, liked or disliked according to personal preference. Yes, they do a professional job, but it doesn't mean that everyone has to like them re: The Avenue Q and Clare foster love  thread Having said that, Avenue Q is lucky in that (IMO only!) it has top class understudies, as well as those who take the leads...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whenever I compare two people, I always try and focus on the differences rather than out and out stating one is better than the other, because it rarely happens that one is genuinely better than the other, they just play it different ways. Sometimes I will say I prefer one to another, but I try and keep my comparisons as neutral as possible.

Man, if you have problems here, don't go onto the Broadway section of this site, you'll get eaten alive! We're delightfully kind and fluffy in the West End section. :3
Im_a_QT Profile PhotoIm_a_QT Profile Photo
Im_a_QT
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Geez, when I read posts like these I think 'this person has no idea what an actual flame war is like...'.

No one was ever disrespectful to the understudies. In my case, if I like the lead more than the understudy it has nothing to do with the fact that the latter is an understudy. I see them all as performers. And, like everyone, I have opinions and will like one performer more than another. Their being the lead or not has NOTHING to do with the opinion I have of them.
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
these threads are both the same the original is annoying enough, and to be fair if i was clair whatever her name is and heard al these total strangers saying stuff about her so much i would be a little freaked out! at the end of the day she and the rest of the cast are just regular people, can we not go back the the threads of old when people discused things that were actualy interesting to read and not just confessions of unding love for people they have dont even know. cz its jsut a little bit dull now, ok we all understand its a great show and knowing someone in it i know its got some great people, but when i showd that person the first thread they were a little weirded out by people getting so into it, they love the fans HUGELY but still found it strange how it had gone to this level.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ah Rohingit! How humourless you are. Just drop the psudo-American-anal-PC-crap. Can you not see that there is a sense of humour in the Claire Foster tribute threads as well as support!

While I think people are genuinly interested and supportive of her taking the roles over for a period - and indeed have booked tickets to go and see her perform these roles - there is also a sense of humour, and something somewhat tounge in cheek.

I think it is also worth remembering that an actors career - and believe me I have directed actors from the top down - are dependent upon the audience enjoying and supporting your work.

Claire Foster is someone who is very much supported on this site and I very much hope if she has become aware of it that she feels supported, that people are enjoying her work and can see the fun as well.

Her performance is good and I think the original point was to say that there are many roles she would be interesting in and the audience wanted her to have more to do in the show.

Best of luck to her!

Suckstobeme
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Rohingit, if you're so damn CONCERNED about her being freaked out reading the other thread, why are you slagging off the people who like her???

And,'not just confessions of unding love for people they have dont even know.' Have you even BEEN to the broadway, or off-topic board recently? I think the Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal love threads have been going on now for at least 4 years, and I don't think there's been a PAGE in which they haven't got a marriage proposal of some kind. All we are saying is that we love Clare; We love her INSANE expressions when she's Nicky/Trekkies right hand, and We love her as Kate/Lucy. No need to jump down our throats.

Emi.

P.S, DeathStar, not meaning to sound bitchy or anything, but her name is spelled Clare, not Claire. I know it's only a minor spelling error, but it's one of those things that just annoys me.
Im_a_QT Profile PhotoIm_a_QT Profile Photo
Im_a_QT
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Rohingit - what is your problem (besides cringeworthy spelling)? You obviously have no idea what real fanatism is like.
Honestly, if people praising a performer, ANY performer, bother you, then you should post the same thing you have written here in ANY other thread of these boards.
Also, want to know what bothers *me*? People saying "I know someone in the show" - for me, you either say who it is or just keep your mouth shut, otherwise it just doesn't sound believable. I'm usually for keeping my mouth shut, but this time I will say I am sorely tempted to show this thread to Clare and then see how she really feels about it. I'll bet you than, more than weirded out, she will feel undeserving of it because she is so humble.
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
lol i dont have a problem with people supporting anyone thats not what i was getting at just feel its a little ott in my oppinion, if it offends then i am truely sorry but we are all intitled to one, i have never said she is crap, i think she is great but dont feel the need to say it all the time....as for my spelling QT its called F"$%*g DYSLEXIA! Im sorry if its not upto your standards but on this kinda website i dont feel it to be high priorety, so if you want to get personal about it, and make me feel generaly crap about it then fine, but it will be you looking like idiot for just being generaly nasty not me! Its a thread about THEATRE not personal attacks on other members!
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dear Rohingit,

No worries about the Dyslexia - you keep on posting regardless, how ever much we might disagree! Thats the joy. Anyone questions you for Dyslexia, let me know and I'll give them a kicking!

You are right about being entitled to your opinion, of course, and have every right to express it. Fully. I whole heartedly defend your right to your opinion and freedom of expression. That is not to say though that I would agree with you.

I have to say though that I have read the posts above your last one and I think there are a number of other issues going on. I don't see that you should feel "generally crap" because of the posts. Not at all.

I rather feel there are other issues you have that are being hit, with out intent, by our posts.

Both your posts were slightly extreme in their view points, or rather slightly hysterical with out being deliberately provocative. Certainly your last post left an odd taste in the mouth. There seems to be something rather embittered in the writing and defensive.

Anyway - good luck to you, and I look forward to reading more from you as the discusions/debates go on, and on, and on, and on...

D.S.x

WhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile PhotoWhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile Photo
WhoPaintedTheKitten?
Understudy
Understudy
What kind of "love" thread is this??!
"...if you rearrange the letters in the word unemployed, it spells OPPORTUNITY!" - Gary Coleman, Ave. Q
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's not, it's just a reactionary thread to the actual love thread which'll be a bit further down the board now.