Page: 1

Into The woods

Allentown2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Into The woods#1
Posted: 12/17/06 at 2:16pm
Where did it play originally in London and why did it flop?
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Into The woods#2
Posted: 12/17/06 at 5:30pm
ITW originally played at the Phoenix Theatre in London in 1990, starring Julia Mckenzie and Imelda Staunton, and ran for 197 performances. I'm not sure that it was a "flop" as such, despite its short run. (Few Sondheim shows run for long - the measure of their success is determined not just in financial terms.) The original west end production garnered Olivier Awards for Best Director for Richard Jones and Best Actress in a Musical for Imelda Staunton (the award for Best Musical went to another Sondheim show with a short run - Sunday In The Park With George at the National).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Into The woods#2
Posted: 12/19/06 at 8:02pm
Look out for casting of the ROH2 production VERY shortly! and believe me when i say its good VERY good!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Into The woods#3
Posted: 12/20/06 at 6:01am
Mr S has said he feels the OLC was the best production ever of Into the Woods and bitterly regrets that it was not taped for video.

I saw it 3 times- it was absolute bliss, from the ingenious set to the pitch-perfect cast.

I think it is the best things I have ever seen.

But... the poster was crap- it didn't capture the mood of the show, which may have prevented the production finding a wider audience.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Into The woods#4
Posted: 12/20/06 at 7:31am
I saw it as well, but was too young to appreciate (or even remember) it re: Into The woods Love the CD though...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Into The woods#5
Posted: 12/20/06 at 11:10am
LOVE the cast recording and knowing it's VERY different to the OBC ideas, I'd REALLY wanna watch the show! Still... can't wait for the new ROH production! Hopes Ruthie is witch haha! One can only wish ~
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
sicetergo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Into The woods#6
Posted: 1/6/07 at 10:34am
The official reason given was the outbreak of the first Gulf War and the subsequent falling off of tourist trade in London.

I saw it six or seven times and it was, for me, the best production that I've seen - including the Broadway production which I saw two or three times.
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: Into The woods#7
Posted: 1/8/07 at 2:51pm
ruthiefan_felix....if Ruthie is the Witch....I'd be so freaking happy!!! She'd be awesome!!! Good call!!! re: Into The woods
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Into The woods#8
Posted: 1/8/07 at 5:05pm
princessofpower, I'd be SO happy if they have:

Ruthie as Witch
Linzi Hateley/Jo Riding as Baker's Wife
Gavin Creel as Jack

but fat chance it's happening!
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: Into The woods#9
Posted: 1/9/07 at 1:15am
ruthiefan-felix: Yes....Linzi as the Baker's Wife would be great....but you know what, I know it would be a little far fetched, but Jo Riding as Little Red would be so phenominal...funny and awesome.....I think!!! I had heard a rumour about her doing that role...if it came true, it would be great!!! But defo on Ruthie doing the Witch!!!

How about Josephina Gabrielle doing the Baker's Wife....that would be good....
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Into The woods#10
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:32am
Jo Riding was supposed to play Red Riding Hood in the concert version which I believe was postponed. But yeah Josefina, Rebecca Thornhill, Linzi...etc wud be great Baker's Wife!
I wont be greedy... i'll hav Ruthie as Witch! lol
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Into The woods#11
Posted: 1/9/07 at 7:15pm
sad to say your not doing well on the guessing front guys, i havent heard ruthie's name even mentioned, which is strange cz i think she would be good at the part!
Jo Riding however is off on a maternaty brake so you can also count her out, though she did auditon and was very good too!
sicetergo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Into The woods#12
Posted: 1/10/07 at 6:43pm
I thought it had been announced that Beverley Klein was to play the Witch, Gillian Kirkpatrick-Cinderella..David Burt - the Baker, Suzanne Toase - LRH and Nick Greenshields is Rapunzel's Prince.

Was that not the case?
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Into The woods#13
Posted: 1/11/07 at 3:30am
I think that was the case... I mean, I've defo heard sth about Gillian as Cinderella anyway!