Page: 1

Idina Menzel

nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Idina Menzel#0
Posted: 9/17/06 at 9:52am
OMG - I saw Wicked on Saturday and Idina just blew us all away. The crowd went wild after "The Wizard and I" and "Defying Gravity" - she really, really won over the audience and all we heard on the way out was "Idina this" and "Idina that" - well deserved praise!!! No wonder she won a Tony!!!!!!!!
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina Menzel#2
Posted: 9/18/06 at 12:26pm
Yeah, she was amazing on Saturday. Shame the show isn't anywhere near as good as she is.

I was genuinely surprised at the audience hysteria. Especially when she came out. I didn't realise the Wicked craziness had spread so among the little girls of England already!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina Menzel#3
Posted: 9/18/06 at 2:23pm
i agree, I saw the show last Thursday, and Idina sure is fantastic, shame that the rest of the show isn't up to much. I felt it dragged everytime she was of stage
WickedForever2 Profile PhotoWickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina Menzel#4
Posted: 9/18/06 at 2:26pm
YAY!!!!! I'm so happy to hear people who love Idina in England as much as we love her in the USA!!!! I can't wait to come see her in Novemeber since I never got to the first time around!!!!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina Menzel#5
Posted: 9/18/06 at 3:14pm
i agree, I saw the show last Thursday, and Idina sure is fantastic, shame that the rest of the show isn't up to much. I felt it dragged everytime she was of stage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina Menzel#6
Posted: 9/18/06 at 5:05pm
she is so good loved her so much as soon as she came out at the end she had everyone on there feet! like a mexican wave!
saw saterday mat !
leeinlondon
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Idina Menzel#7
Posted: 9/19/06 at 5:35am
The show uis getting better an dbetter, I saw the first preview and was disappointed with Helen as Glinda and Adam Garcia as Fiyero. I saw it again last night and Helen was really starting to make the role her own and getting all the laughs, yes she is VERY different form Kristin but it works now. As I said on another thread I think Adam is just badly directed, that role worked much better in the show with Norbert Leo Butz's American slouch approach rather than an English upper class twit character that we have.

By the way thankfully the theatre was MUCH more reserved than the first preview when it was an insane amount of noise from fans during the show. Whilst it added a lot of atmosphere it detracted the actual performance.
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina Menzel#8
Posted: 9/19/06 at 9:03am
Yes on Staurday, while there was the usual hige cheer when Idina came on and the manic hollering at the end of songs there was no cheer when she 'rose' for DG. It was nice as you could actually hear her sing!
Theatrebore101 Profile PhotoTheatrebore101 Profile Photo
Theatrebore101
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Idina Menzel#9
Posted: 9/20/06 at 5:30am
She is so good! saw her saterday and she was amazing, i dont know why though broadway write ups didnt like her to begin with?
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina Menzel#10
Posted: 9/20/06 at 3:01pm
Wicked got mixed reviews when it opened, but through word-of-mouth it became hugely popular. So then you started getting all the "Wicked fanatics" which led to the "Anti-Wicked" group of people who thought it was cool to hate Wicked and anyone/anything involved. I don't think people actually "hated" Idina or Wicked that much, they just kinda joined the bandwagon.... basically people felt the need to be totally against Wicked if they weren't totally for it. But, I think she rocks and am gladly spending $2000 to fly to London to see her!!! Idina is the Wicked God.
JeaniusIsMe Profile PhotoJeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina Menzel#11
Posted: 9/20/06 at 3:12pm
saw the first preview and was severely underwhelmed by the whole the show (granted, seeing it 7 times might have something to do with that), but with all these positive reviews coming in for the more recent performances I think I might have to see it time #8.
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina Menzel#12
Posted: 9/21/06 at 12:32am
"I think I might have to see it time #8."

*and much jealousy ensues from me.....* I WANT TO GO TO LONDON, NOW!!!!!!!!
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina Menzel#13
Posted: 9/21/06 at 4:57am
I saw it again last night - I must say that Idina was better. She appeared to give DG her all rather than holding back like she seemed to be doing Saturday. Even though I was in the 5 seats this time I enjoyed her performance a lot more.

Roll on Saturday - performance number 3!
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Idina Menzel#14
Posted: 9/22/06 at 12:45pm
yayy. I love this thread. because I love idina re: Idina Menzel that is all!
I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
kasim Profile Photokasim Profile Photo
kasim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Idina Menzel#15
Posted: 9/25/06 at 8:12pm

hey all :)

i was there on saturday night as well :) woot woot
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Idina Menzel#16
Posted: 9/25/06 at 8:42pm
ahhhh this is making me crazy. I NEED TO GO TO LONDON!! lol

stupid being a junior in highschool and having to rely on my parents money and time to get there *glares*. Well, I mean, I actually have money saved up from over the summer, but I REALLY need to be putting that toward college and NOT toward my insane idina obsession. lol
I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Idina Menzel#17
Posted: 9/26/06 at 12:18pm
Idina is definitely in GREAT voice - she sounds better than in New York and I saw her early in the Broadway run.

But I have to concur with the disappointment in some of the others. Adam Garcia is AWFUL and I don't think it's just the direction. Why was he cast? Clearly not for his talent. As Norbert proved you CAN make something of this part.

As for Ms Dallimore, she definitely has the voice but her approach to the character seems so strange - maybe it's the accent, I don't know. I'm used to the American Valley Girl thing and the British Upper Class Twit approach is just so different. Yet it must have been Joe Mantello's choice so what is one to think?
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Idina Menzel#18
Posted: 9/26/06 at 3:06pm
I really liked Helen, problem is for those who have listened to the OBCR or seen it before she's very different. I wouldn't say upper class twit....more home counties, spoilt, daddy's girl. Like a lot of public school people I know.

Her Glinda knows what she's doing though, I like the fact that while she doesn't appear to be a cartoonish character. Especially during 'Popular'. She's deadly serious about it, all of it, which I like.

I would say those going to see it try not to compare her, it's hard but it's a nice new take on it.

To try and keep more on topic, Idina really is amazing though. I've seen her three times now and I still got chills during 'W&I' 'DG' and 'NGD'. Really, really amazing.

I just hope the reviewers are nice to her, they have no reason not to be but her BW ones were mixed. Although I hope she doesn't over shine Helen in them.

NewYorkYankee2006 Profile PhotoNewYorkYankee2006 Profile Photo
NewYorkYankee2006
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Idina Menzel#19
Posted: 9/27/06 at 10:22am
Went to see Wicked on Saturday for my birthday and Idina was amazing. i absolutely love her voice and she totally blew me away when she sang THE WIZARD AND I and DEFYING GRAVITY. i had been waiting for them very two songs since i bought the tickets back in July. unfortunately, i missed her at the stage door, but had photos done with nigel and adam. awsum day!!!!!!