Wicked - first preview....

leeinlondon
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Wicked - first preview....#0
Posted: 9/5/06 at 6:16am
I am very excited at the moment... only two days to go till the first preview of Wicked here. I saw the orginal broadway cast and loved the show there..

Anyone else from here going ?
JeaniusIsMe Profile PhotoJeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked - first preview....#1
Posted: 9/5/06 at 6:22am
I'll be there Thursday night!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked - first preview....#2
Posted: 9/5/06 at 6:56am
I'm going on 14th September, and even though i'm excited about seeing the show, i just dont think the score is that good. I'm hoping seeing it live will make all the difference.
WhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile PhotoWhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile Photo
WhoPaintedTheKitten?
Understudy
Understudy
re: Wicked - first preview....#3
Posted: 9/5/06 at 7:14am
I'm seeing it on the 14th too, and cos the tickets were only £5 I'm going with someone else on the 18th too. Rubbish seats and hey at least I could say I've seen it!
I agree with you Paulyd: I hope seeing it live will make a difference too! I'm not a major fan of the music also...
"...if you rearrange the letters in the word unemployed, it spells OPPORTUNITY!" - Gary Coleman, Ave. Q
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked - first preview....#4
Posted: 9/5/06 at 7:32am
Saw it on Braodway and was underwhelmed, but am hoping that a different cast and not being jet-lagged will help this time!

I'm going to the second preview on Friday re: Wicked - first preview....

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Wicked - first preview....#5
Posted: 9/5/06 at 7:58am
Going to see it on 18th and 20th, looking forward to seeing it but not too excited yet, mainly cannot wait to see some of the amazing cast members back onstage. I just know the soundtrack (and the clips you find on youtube etc), which am not too much a fan of, I like it, yeah, but there is something missing for me, hope it will be different when actually seeing the show live.
Incognito
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Wicked - first preview....#6
Posted: 9/5/06 at 8:03am
Fourth preview on Monday. Must confess, I'm looking forward to it, a lot!
Life is...just a bowl of cherries...
Updated On: 9/5/06 at 08:03 AM
leeinlondon
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Wicked - first preview....#7
Posted: 9/5/06 at 8:22am
We are in bad seats on Thursday (Row W in circle) but going again on the 18th in front Circle seats with a gay group from outintheuk.
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked - first preview....#8
Posted: 9/5/06 at 12:08pm
I've seen the show quite a few times back home in the states, and in my opinion, seeing the show didn't make the music any better. In some instances it made the show a bit worse. Personally, I think there is a lot to be desired from the show on an artistic level, but there's a security blanket like feeling in watching the show that makes it strangely enjoyable to see it in the theatre.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked - first preview....#9
Posted: 9/5/06 at 12:51pm
I dont go till October 25th. Sitting in row P of the dress circle. Can't really complain about seats though because there are 4 of us going and we are on a tight budget.

If anyone is sitting in this back section of the circle lemme know if the seats are any good!
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked - first preview....#10
Posted: 9/5/06 at 8:51pm
Dont listen to the negative Wicked is a good fun show
Its not gonna change theatre but the music and book are fun and the show looks great

Go and have a good time ,just leave ur brain at the door

xx
gabybon Profile Photogabybon Profile Photo
gabybon
Understudy
Understudy
re: Wicked - first preview....#11
Posted: 9/6/06 at 5:37am
Hi! I'll come from Italy to see this show on 11 Sept.!! I can't wait re: Wicked - first preview.... I'll be in row H in the stall...I hope to see all the London cast without understudies...I hope! re: Wicked - first preview....
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked - first preview....#12
Posted: 9/6/06 at 6:13am
I'll be there! Row F in the stalls! Then row D in the stalls for the Saturday matinee. I saw the show on Broadway last year; if you treat it like the theatrical version of a summer blockbuster - all spectacle, not much in the way of intelligence - then you'll be fine. ^_^
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked - first preview....#13
Posted: 9/6/06 at 7:35am
Weez- I'm in row B stalls, maybe I'll see you there!
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Wicked - first preview....#14
Posted: 9/6/06 at 4:17pm
Row B stalls tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked - first preview....#15
Posted: 9/7/06 at 6:05pm
And we're back! The show was most certainly awesome. There was a lovely technical hitch at the beginning - "look! It's Glinda!" - ..... close curtain, fix problem, start show again. Cue massive applause from the VERY hyperactive audience, who proceeded to go mental and applaud regulary for the rest of the show. It was a great atmosphere, really. Idina was, obviously, Idina. She didn't do the very highest notes in Defying Gravity, but who cares! Helen Dallimore was a very funny G(a)linda. I was wondering what the English equivalent would be to the blonde popular girl of the US original, but I think we've got it covered; she played it quite upper-class and horsey. (For anyone who's interested, Elphaba and the Wizard had American accents, most everyone else was English. Boq, I believe, was Scottish, but I could be wrong.) Miriam Margolyes apparently is not a singer, as most of Morrible's lines were done in a more recitative style, but she performed the role rather well, even if she did squick me out at one point. ;D

I'll be going to see the show again on Saturday, so I may have more to say then, but for first preview, my theatre companian and I both had a wonderful time. re: Wicked - first preview....
Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked - first preview....#17
Posted: 9/7/06 at 7:44pm
I just got back from tonights first preview....

and Idina shocked me....i seriously did not want her to do it, because i wanted a new person to be given a chance....but she was better than expected and id much rather see her be amazing than see a newb try!but yeah i was very impressed...it must be all those idnia obsessants making me think less of her.

Adam Garcia...im sorry...but he shouldnt be on that stage....he was pretty awful...it was actually embarrasing at points...his acting has NEVER been as wooden as it was...and i could tell when he first started he would choose a lower route in As Long As Your Mine....it was a shame...the posh mummys boy prince part was a bad choice i thought...he was really a bit of a shame all over especially his last line, ..'we can never return...come' it was like he was talking to a dog!

but other than that it was EVERYTHING it should have been i felt....
and i think it will be the saviour of londons commercial and modern musical theatre....i cannot wait for it to bring londons glossy west end back to life and light! ITS ABOUT TIME!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
im going on its press night too....so hopefully adam might have stepped up his game a bit!...lol it was also wonderful to see a rival of mine from the all england dance competitions featuring in the ensemble at the age of 18...i was so shocked and impressed...joeseph connor is a dream to watch.
xxxxxxxx
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked - first preview....#18
Posted: 9/7/06 at 8:16pm
thought i'd put in my two cents as well-

As mentioned, there were some technical glitches, but the cast handled them brilliantly. And for those following Martin Ball's Wicked diary, he managed to get out "the witch of the west is dead" perfectly both times he had to say it.

This wasn't my favorite cast I have seen, but it was still a great show. The energy was huge (although it was a tad annoying when a group of girls in the balcony thought it was appropriate to "ooooo" and make similar noises during the Elphaba/Fiyero kiss at the end of "As Long As You're Mine.") and it almost seemed more like a rock concert than a musical. I dare say it was even more crazy than New York.

The one big change in the show (I'm assuming it was a change, as it wasn't in any of the previous productions I have seen) was that a scene was added prior to "Dancing Through Life" where Elphaba is nearly run over by Fiyero's cart. She is the one who wakes him up and they exchange words over him watching where he's going. It culminates in a joke by Fiyero about how the driver must have seen green and thought it meant go. Personally, I thought it was a really odd placed scene.

As for the performances:

Idina: She's clearly grown into a much stronger actor. I wasn't completely blown away by her singing until her "No Good Deed" which was absolutely amazing. She has some great chemistry with Helen. Despite all this, and please don't hate me for saying it, I wasn't completely blown away by her performance. She did try some new things which was nice to see, but it didn't really do much for me beyond NGD.

Helen: Definitely different than those before her. As previously said, it's a much more proper take on Glinda and definitely not the ditzy girl. I loved her "Popular"- she didn't go over the top and played it just right to get the laughs. You could also see a change in Glinda as the show went on.

Adam: I wasn't a huge fan of his voice, but I enjoyed his performance. Fiyero is a fairly bland role to begin with, but he managed to add some levels to the character. But I thought the songs were a bit weak.

Nigel: I actually really enjoyed his Wizard. His accent when in and out a bit during "Sentimental Man" but his "Wonderful" was very engaging.

Miriam: As said, she didn't sing but rather spoke her lines. I would have like them to be sung, but what can you do. I didn't think she was quite nasty enough during "March of the Witch Hunters" but she added a hillarious and slightly disturbing element to the Morrible/Wizard relationship- insinuating that there might have been something sexual between the two (something I honestly never thought about....and now I wonder if I was missing something before).

Katie and James: I really loved their Nessa and Boq. I'm usually not a huge fan of the characters, but I really liked these two in the roles. I think the Scottish accent added a lot to Boq as well.

All in all, I really had a good time. And it's still just the first preview, so I'm sure by opening night most of my criticisms will be out the window. I stage doored after, and poor Idina! They don't have baracades at the doors, so she was completely mobbed by people and looked a bit dazed. But she was a saint and still signed for everyone. The rest of the cast was wonderful too.

JWAA- did you stage door? Cuz there was a guy I talked to in front of the entrance who also mentioned tickets to press night- and we had a discussion about whether or not the silver car was Idina's. Just thought I'd check.
Elphaba3 Profile PhotoElphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked - first preview....#19
Posted: 9/7/06 at 8:24pm
How was Idina & Helen's chemistry?
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked - first preview....#20
Posted: 9/7/06 at 8:26pm
the chemistry was definitely there- "Popular" was really good and the Munchkinland seen was spot on. "For Good" worked extremely well also. They are definitely well matched.
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Wicked - first preview....#21
Posted: 9/7/06 at 9:36pm
Well. i just got back too........after making a detour at the pub. Loved it of course, how can you not. The glitch at the beginning was expected and when they started the show again i was thrilled as nothing else went wrong. The sound clearly hasnt been finished as the mixing was off but im guessing this is what they will work on, lots of guys at the back behind the desks after the show. Idina was great...eventually, she needed to get into it more which she did in act 2. Helen was okay. Wasnt a fan of her singing voice but thought she brought a lot of fun to the role in a different way to other actresses who have taken the role. Garcia was dissapointing, really expected more, but ya know what he may improve. Jame was brilliant as boq, loving the scottish accent too. Old rowley-jones was quality, would have her as an elphaba understudy......forgot whether she is or not. Cant wait for kerry to step in in january, and rumours are of Jenna Lee James from rock you will be her alternate....its like A WWRY reuninion isnt it. Love Nigel as the wizard much better than his dodgy Pop in WWRY. The victoria appolo looked amazing, hate the theatre but the auditorium looks awesome now decked out just like the Gershwin. Waited two years to see this and so glad i have.
What did you guys think?
Wink1966 Profile PhotoWink1966 Profile Photo
Wink1966
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked - first preview....#22
Posted: 9/8/06 at 5:39am
I was there last night too.

Loved the "hitch" and especially the ad-libbed "it's good to see me" from Glinda.

The experience as a whole was fantastic - but I did think there were two weak things.

Adam Garcia was hopeless - to me he looked like he was doing a cheap Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen impression. And didn't he look out of place playing the "let her go" seen to save Elphaba?!

Second - and maybe controversial- Glinda's "Ever-so-English" Accent. For me this didn't work, especially for "Popular" - which was written for a "squeaky" US accent . . and didn't translate. It was like listening to "Elaine Page sings Queen" . . both excellent individually, but together just doesn't work . . .
Swing
Swing
re: Wicked - first preview....#23
Posted: 9/8/06 at 5:48am
All this good feedback cant wait to see it next week so excited!!
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked - first preview....#24
Posted: 9/8/06 at 5:50am
I'm pretty sure that "it's good to see me, isn't it?" is scripted rather than an ad-lib. Although it did seem more appropriate in conjunction with the technical hitch. re: Wicked - first preview....

Also, guys? It's a "scene". re: Wicked - first preview....
Updated On: 9/8/06 at 05:50 AM
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked - first preview....#25
Posted: 9/8/06 at 5:50am
Double post, sorry. I hate this computer. XP
Updated On: 9/8/06 at 05:50 AM