Page: 1

Sunday In The Park With George - wow!

Practically Perfect Profile PhotoPractically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#0
Posted: 5/23/06 at 7:41am
Went to see this last night, and I thought it was superb. I've only seen one Sondheim show before (Sweeney Todd on Broadway in April), and I have to say that I'm beginning to like his work - his use of harmony and word-painting are wonderful, and he is so true to the heart of the story rather than blemishing it with big, unnecessary dance numbers.

I have to say I enjoyed the first act more than the second act in terms of storyline, though when George goes back to Paris and meets Dot, I was very moved. Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell were superb, both singing and acting beautifully, and they were joined by a fantastic supporting cast.

The conception of the show is really great, with the projections adding a lot of wit and charm to the piece.

I really hope this show succeeds, and makes its way to broadway as the director and producers hope. Go see it - it's very different to most shows in the west end, but has a lot to offer.

Mary P x
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#1
Posted: 5/23/06 at 1:46pm
I'm glad you liked it! I loved it at the Menier, and I can't wait to see it again with the changes at with Jenna Russell. :)
sicetergo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#2
Posted: 5/23/06 at 2:00pm
Saw it on Saturday and was completely blown away :) So much so that I've booked for this Friday.

Good thoughts going the way of the Wyndham's for tonight's opening.
Practically Perfect Profile PhotoPractically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#3
Posted: 5/24/06 at 8:04pm
It was so good, I went again tonight. It's such a beautiful show!

Mary P x
Jekyll&Hyde Profile PhotoJekyll&Hyde Profile Photo
Jekyll&Hyde
Swing
Swing
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#4
Posted: 5/25/06 at 9:36am
I got a ticket for the 1st night of the previews at the Wyndhams and was blown away, It's so different from anything I've seen before, but I loved it!Can't wait 2 get the recording
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#5
Posted: 5/25/06 at 11:18am
Saw it at the Chocolate Factory, glad to hear that it seems to have transfered well. I hope to see it Saturday week along with Aveune Q, which will make for a . . . varied day re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#6
Posted: 5/25/06 at 2:12pm
Can't wait to see it next wk!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
sicetergo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#7
Posted: 6/1/06 at 11:55am
Just over a week after its press night, Sunday In The Park With George has extended its run at the Wyndham’s theatre by six weeks and is now taking bookings until 2 September.
BobbyRobbyBobbyBaby
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#8
Posted: 6/22/06 at 9:19am
Are half price tickets available?
Something is stirring, Shifting ground... It's just begun. Edges are blurring All around, And yesterday is done.
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#9
Posted: 6/22/06 at 10:55am
Keep an eye here: http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/today

That should tell you what's on the ticket booth on that day - as you can see, SITPWG is only 25% off today, and probably not discounting at all at the weekend.

However, you can get day seats (front row) for £15(?) which is pretty good value, and ticketmaster have also got an offer for best tickets reduced to £30:

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/promo/1233?brand=tmoffers

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 6/22/06 at 10:55 AM
BobbyRobbyBobbyBaby
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#10
Posted: 6/22/06 at 8:20pm
Thanks for all that info Eastwickian! How do I get front row tickets? At the box office day of? I am looking forward to seeing this production again.
Something is stirring, Shifting ground... It's just begun. Edges are blurring All around, And yesterday is done.
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#11
Posted: 6/23/06 at 5:53am
Yep, you buy them on the day from 10:30am at the box office. When I went they had sold out by midday, so make sure you get there early! Enjoy!

BobbyRobbyBobbyBaby
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#12
Posted: 6/23/06 at 9:27am
Thank you again E! At that price, I may have to go a few times! :)
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#13
Posted: 7/18/06 at 3:01pm
I'm going to see this tomorrow, and I'm hugely excited!

But I was wondering if anyone knew a little about the surrounding area. To get cheap train tickets, I have to travel at quite specific and random times, so I'll have a fair ol' amount of sitting around to do. Are there any nice parks nearby? Any interesting shops? Any free galleries? Anything that doesn't cost but will keep me occupied for a while! Also looking for somewhere fairly cheap (haha XD) but nice for a meal after the matinee.

All help appreciated. :3
sicetergo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#14
Posted: 7/18/06 at 4:23pm
The obvious place, I guess, to go to would be the National Gallery where Une Baignade, Asnières is housed along with various sketches La Grande Jatte Sondheim and Lapine did a great "audience with" there as pre-show talk.

The gallery is very close to the Wyndham's about 5 mins walk on a good day.
National Gallery
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#15
Posted: 7/18/06 at 11:32pm
I hope that they will extend again. I won't get to London until November. It's one of my favorite shows and I would love to see this cast.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#16
Posted: 7/19/06 at 7:11am
I'm pretty sure that Jenna Russell is doing a play at the Theatre Royal, Bath in October (I don't have the programme on me right at the moment), so if it does extend, it's unlikely she'll still be in it then re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!

ETA: Yep, she's going to be in Amy's View with Felicity Kendal from October 2nd:
http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=533190

Updated On: 7/19/06 at 07:11 AM
USTheater.TV Profile PhotoUSTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#17
Posted: 7/19/06 at 3:42pm

I saw it a few weeks ago and I was equally amazed ! First act is performance art. The second act was a let down largely because I expected it to continue to stay in the past instead of bringing us to the future. Never an easy concept to do on film far less on the stage. I don't think it worked but as I was so delirious from the incredible first act it didn't spoil my enjoyment.

Verdict:
MAGIC !!! ***** UKTheatre.TV
UK Theatre Network
_________________ www.uktheatre.net
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#18
Posted: 7/19/06 at 6:52pm
Saw it finally! I have to say, I was blown away! The old men behind me thought the show was too reliant on special effects; personally, I thought the beautifully minimalist set combined with the amazing lighting and projection hit the nail RIGHT on the head. Any future productions that are staged in a similar way will probably look a bit cheap and SFXy, but it worked absolutely perfectly for this show. Even the effects I wasn't too keen on (the second soldier, and the several Georges at the beginning of act 2) worked really well, saving money for the production in the first instance and allowing Daniel Evans a much freer reign for that song in the second.

And OMG how much did I ADORE Jenna Russell! All the cast were wonderful, but she stood out so much! Daniel Evans deserves mad kudos for managing to successfully and convincingly play two separate characters to such a degree that you would be forgiven for thinking he was two different actors. But Jenna did it too, and she did it just that bit better. And I live in Bath so shall be booking my tickets for 'Amy's View' as soon as I have money again! She's too wonderful to not want to see more of. :3

Btw, sadly, the Seurat room at the National Gallery is closed for refurbishment at the moment. So no one make plans to go see it just yet!

IF YOU'VE NOT SEEN THIS SHOW YET, YOU MUST BOOK TICKETS NOW. I swear!
sicetergo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!#19
Posted: 7/20/06 at 1:16am
I wonder if the projections save money - compared to the "cardboard" cut-outs that were used originally....Glad you enjoyed it and sorry about the Seurat room re: Sunday In The Park With George - wow!