Page: 1

Hot Shoe Shuffle

Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hot Shoe Shuffle#0
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:04am
The announcement of Adam Garcia in Wicked reminded me of this show.

I saw the U.S. premiere and was not impressed (and Adam Garcia wasn't in it). Did anyone here see it in London (or Australia, for that matter)? I'm just remembering how goofy and kiddie it seemed when I saw it. They even went as far as to use silly slapstick sound effects you might hear in a Bugs Bunny cartoon (or a Disney musical). It's a shame, because I think the show had some potential. Was this silliness just the production I saw, or was the original like that, too? And was there ever any recording/video-taping done? Just curious.
wildcat Profile Photowildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Shoe Shuffle#1
Posted: 4/28/06 at 8:51am
The book was always idiotic, but I think the show might have been rewritten for the US simply because most of the songs in the original production were from OTHER musicals which would have led to copyright problems. As I recall, none of the Australians (including Adam Garcia) appeared in the show in America.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Shoe Shuffle#2
Posted: 4/28/06 at 10:52am
Yeah, it was Brad Aspel, Noah Racey, Michael Raine (in the Adam Garcia part)...and I can't remember anyone else.
Updated On: 4/28/06 at 10:52 AM
WonderBoy Profile PhotoWonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Shoe Shuffle#3
Posted: 4/28/06 at 2:45pm
Lauren Kennedy did it in the US too.
"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Shoe Shuffle#4
Posted: 4/28/06 at 2:48pm
The cast was quite talented, I remember. One or two of the original songs were OK, and the dancing was fantastic.

It was just the book and the Saturday morning cartoon feel of the whole thing that left a bad taste in my mouth. eta: And that incredibly stupid song about apples.
Updated On: 4/28/06 at 02:48 PM
WonderBoy Profile PhotoWonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hot Shoe Shuffle#5
Posted: 4/28/06 at 3:14pm
Oh God! I had forgotten about that apple song!
"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns