Page: 1

Anybody have tips re Stratford Transportation?

BroadwayBaby6 Profile PhotoBroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm coming to the UK in June and will be staying in London.

I have a ticket to see Patrick Stewart in "Antony and Cleopatra" on the evening of Tuesday, June 20th. Is is possible to take a night train from Stratford to London? If not, does anybody have any ideas regarding transport to London at a late hour?

I hope that I can somehow get back to London after the play rather than have to pay for a room in Stratford as well as London (where I'll be staying a week in a B&B).

Any help would be appreciated.
"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"
BrianWilsonFan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
If this is anything to go by things are quite grim and i would start thinking about an overnight stop if i were you...

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/heartofengland/londonstratford.htm
BroadwayBaby6
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It looks like THERE is a train at 23:00 that leaves Stratford for London. The question is- if Antony and Cleopatra ends at 10:30 or so, how far is the Swan Theatre from the train station? Is it walking distance? I don't want to count on finding a taxi in a rush.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"
BrianWilsonFan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I don't live in Stratford-Upon-Avon but visit a couple of times a year. I've never yet come across the train station there, we park in the centre of town and walk to the Theatres which takes us less than ten minutes. On the link i gave you, they indicate the Station is in the centre of Town so an approximation of ten minutes at a good stride should be fair.

If i get a chance over the weekend i'll try and get clearer info for you...
BrianWilsonFan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
It's a brave person who tries to tangle with the rail network in this country i can tell you and that's the brave that means the same as stupid...

I can confirm that the last train on a weekday in June does run at 23.00. However since the operator i spoke to was coming out of a call sentre in Timbuctu he had no idea how long the walk was from the Swan to the Station so that question is still open...

Common sense tells me that there is plenty of time for you to make the train on time even with a 10.30 theatre finish: - )

Updated On: 3/10/06 at 11:13 AM
BroadwayBaby6
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I will e-mail the RSC or possibly call them to see if they know. I assume they get quite a lot of American tourists calling them with these kinds of questions.
LondonTheatreUK Profile PhotoLondonTheatreUK Profile Photo
LondonTheatreUK
Stand-by
Stand-by
The RSC website says:

Travelling by rail
For details of all national rail services to Stratford including return train services to London Marylebone after the performance please ring 08457 484950 or visit Central Trains.

Other local stations, a taxi ride away, include Warwick Parkway and Leamington Spa which have direct trains to London. For details of regular local train services call the Centro Hotline on 0121 200 2700

---

I went to Stratford-Upon-Avon last year (or was it the year before?) to see The Hollow Crown with Donald Sinden. Loved the town and theatres. Enjoy your trip.
Updated On: 3/11/06 at 08:18 AM