Page: 1

Visiting the West end........any suggestions?

overthemoon2shiz Profile Photooverthemoon2shiz Profile Photo
overthemoon2shiz
Understudy
Understudy
I'm going to the West End around March 10th and coming back around March 22! I'm sooooo excited! I have seen Wicked and LOVED it and Rent-movie, but will someday see it on Broadway- What should I see?? any suggestions?
<3
erinrebecca
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy Elliot.
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mary Poppins.
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Guys and Dolls...alhought Neal Morresy im not expecting to be all to great Sally Anne Triplet is just fantastic! also you could try Sunday in the park with George as i THINK it sould have transfured and opened in that time...but best finding out and booking now as its guna sell well. also if your travelin with a few people try We Will Rock You as its a great night out with a group of friends!
angel_star Profile Photoangel_star Profile Photo
angel_star
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
i know it sounds like an obvious choice but les mis is amazing! and it will be closing sometime soon so i would definatley see that!!!
*lacey*
Swing
Swing
Is Les Miz definately closing then? when will that b?
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Arrgghhh! There has been no official announcement that Les Mis is closing. There are a number of rumours circulating about next year which may well be true, but as of today there is no closing date posted.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'll be visiting London at the end of March, and would also really appreciate show recommendations. I already have tickets to Billy Elliot, and I've already seen Mary Poppins as well as all the musicals that are currently (or were recently) on Broadway, including Chicago, Les Mis, The Lion King, Mamma Mia, Phantom, and The Producers.

So ruling those out, is there anything else I should see? For example, is Blood Brothers any good?
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Personally I love Blood Brothers, but it's certainly not for everybody. The 'Greek Tragedy' trappings can sometimes come across as ridiculous, but I found it compelling, and have returned many times. And, as a bonus, you can always get cheap tickets for any night re: Visiting the West end........any suggestions?

Guys and Dolls has a damn fine orchestra playing one of the best musical scores ever written in a great production, though the casting is getting progressivly weaker (IMO).

Sunday in the Park isn't opening until May re: Visiting the West end........any suggestions?

If you're into plays, I would highly recommend Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf, and suggest you also see what's playing at the National Theatre complex on the South Bank.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 3/6/06 at 06:29 AM
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mary Poppins, Billy Elliot, and Guys and Dolls
angel_star Profile Photoangel_star Profile Photo
angel_star
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
sorry i just heard loads of different things about les mis closing but if its not official then sorry i take it back!!!
would be great if it isnt!
x
Lamc16 Profile PhotoLamc16 Profile Photo
Lamc16
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
<--------------------------------------------

It would be a HUGE mistake to miss Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf!
"You've gotta have a swine to show you where the truffles are."
Kitzarina Profile PhotoKitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm going to see it re: Visiting the West end........any suggestions?
"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Saw it a week or so ago (from the cheap seats!) and cannot recommend it highly enough re: Visiting the West end........any suggestions? I still think it would have had a bit more punch if Martha had been lifted in the air by a cherry picker at the end of act one though...

Leanne_Jones Profile PhotoLeanne_Jones Profile Photo
Leanne_Jones
Stand-by
Stand-by
Les Mis definitley isn't closing, auditions are going on as we speak!
Michie
Swing
Swing
Absolutely don't miss RSC's The Crucible with Iain Glen. It transferred from Stratford where it was only supposed to play Feb 16- Mar 18. It was a huge success with incredible reviews. All gave it 4 to 5 stars. It was picked up by two London producers who transferred it to the The Guilgud theatre. Previewed from March 29 opened April 5 for a strictly limited run to June 17th. Absolutely the most moving theatre experience I have ever had. If you don't see anything else see this show. This calibre of cast, director and material rarely all come together at once.
BroadwayBaby6 Profile PhotoBroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Has anybody seen Embers. I'm coming to London in June and have one more slot open- thinking of seeing Embers. Anybody here see it? reviews were favorable-to-mixed.
"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"
USTheater.TV Profile PhotoUSTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Check out UKTheatre.Net for all the latest reviews. You can buy tickets and watch trailers as well.

UKTheatreNetwork.com
_________________ www.uktheatre.net
Claire2141 Profile PhotoClaire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
For anyone going to West End...

I second Blood Brothers - especially for the cheap seat factor. Antony Costa (despite being ex boy band)is very good as Mickey and if you like a good cry and a great ending go for it. Even if you just see a matinee I can't recommend it enough.

Obviously Mary Poppins and Billy Elliot are very good too...
west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
COME AND SEE FOOTLOOSE IF YOU WANT A FUN EXCITING NIGHT WE ARE KICKING ARSE IN THE WEST END WITH OUR TICKET SALES HEHE

AS FOR LES MIS GIMMIE A BREAK I FOR 1 WILL JUMP FOR JOY IF THAT BLOODY SHOW CLOSES ITS A GOOD SHOW DONT GET ME WRONG BUT HOW MUCH LONGER CAN THIS SHOW LIMP ON A FREIND OF MINE WENT TO SEE IT A FEW WEEKS AGO AND SAID THE THEATRE WAS HALF EMPTY AND WHEN ANOTHER FREING WENT A FEW MONTHS BACK HE SAID THE SAME THING

THEY SHOULD HAVE CLOSED LES MIS YEARS AGO AND GIVEN IT A BREAK
SAIGON WAS SO MUCH BETTER

ANYWAY END OF RANT GUYS AND DOLLS IS ALSO GREAT ME AND A COUPLE OF THE CAST WENT TO SEE IT THE OTHER DAY AND LOVED IT

MARY POPPINS IS GOOD IF YOU LIKE YOUR SHOWS OVERBLOWN

BUT THE WEST END IS IN A BIT OF A STATE AT THE MOMENT THEY JUST ISSNT THAT MUCH GOING ON WITH MUSICALS

TILL WICKED AND HAIRSPRAY OF COURSE
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I haven't seen it, but Billy Elliot looks fantastic! I rather enjoyed Mary Poppins - magical, but darker than the movie. Gavin Lee (if he isn't gone by then?) is great!

(Side note: WHY would Les Miz close?? Isn't it practically a staple of West End theatre?)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I really have to say that i second west ennd artist comment about Les Mis....look it moved as it wasnt selling well 3 years ago, smaller venue now same problem again...what does that tell you!no matter how long cam keeps it open to over take cats as soon as it closes Phantom will over ake it again anyway so its a loosing battle, i havent seen the show for about two years but when i did se it it looked old and tired every aspect f it!...im so guna get persecuted for this aint i lol well there we go im not a fan of les mis its old and grey bring on Wicked and Avenue Q!
dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was in London on a school trip recently, and everyone who went to see Les Miz absolutely loved it! Of course, they hadn't seen any other productions of it or any other Broadway/West End shows for that matter...but I think it's an issue of advertising. The newest generation of theatre-goers (myself included) get really excited about things like Wicked & Spamalot because they appeal to us. If more people knew the plot of Les Miz and how incredible the show is, they might be more interested in it.
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Golfer804
Swing
Swing
"Sunday in the Park with George" ay Wyndhams. Best thing I saw my last trip in January.

Page: 1