Page: 1

Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence

Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#0
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:34pm
Does anyone have any info on this show? Anything you can share from pictures, to reviews to synopsis, writers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#1
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:43pm
Anyone??
Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#2
Posted: 2/8/06 at 7:31pm
Anyone please?
Jayar
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#3
Posted: 2/9/06 at 1:29am
Saw this show too many times to count. Stephanie Lawrence was incredible in the part. Several of the songs from the show were recorded by Stephanie many years after the show closed and were on a Marilyn Monroe tribute album she recorded.

The score was never officially recorded unfortunately and was one of the more interesting scores heard in the West End in the mid 80's, there are a few live recording out there somewhere.

Stephanie's Act 1 finale where she finally transforms from Norma Jean to full blown Marilyn was amazing, she's lifted into the air towards the back of the stage as Norma Jean on a camera crane and emerges just a few seconds later in silhouette, she is the hit with powerful huge spotlights having performed the most amazing change. That part was always spine tingling.

This was probably one of my all time favorite shows.
Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#4
Posted: 2/9/06 at 4:41pm
Wow, Jayar- thanks. I just recently got the Marilyn tribute CD that Stephanie did off ebay and while she is a remarkable singer in all, the 4 songs from the show ranged from great to quite odd. I'd love to try to find more of the score. Can you help?

Was the last song in the first act "the Most Beautiful Girl in the World?
Jayar
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#5
Posted: 2/9/06 at 6:50pm
I may be able to help, PM me.

The songs on the tribute album were recorded many years after the show closed. The recordings on the tribute cd sound very different from the actual show, the orchestrations sound very odd and Stephanie’s voice does not have the control and power she had during the Marilyn run. Such a pity it wasn't recorded at the time.

The song "Most Beautiful Girl" was sung in the show after Norma Jean has married Jim Doherty (1st Husband), Jim is in the army and Norma is restless and wants to progress in her modeling career, she sings this song before she joins Emiline Snively’s Modeling Agency.

The Act 1 Finale song was "That's Why" which doesn’t sound very good on the tribute CD but was fantastic in the theatre with full orchestra and Stephanie in full belt, believe me it was very different.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#6
Posted: 2/17/06 at 4:29pm
There is a recording of this with all the songs from the show. I think it's out of print now, but I do have a copy of it.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#7
Posted: 2/18/06 at 7:23pm
tell us more please!
luvSteph
Swing
Swing
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#8
Posted: 2/22/06 at 2:47pm
Actually the show was never officially recorded. The only recordings out there are the ones made by fans. Steph was always disappointed that the show was never preserved in any way, hence the Marilyn tribute album she did years later.
I agree wholeheartedly with Jayar (we met at the show 23 years ago - hi Jay!). Whilst the Marilyn tribute album is wonderful it nowhere near captures the magic that was Stephanie live in the role. I was a huge fan of Marilyn Monroe and when I first heard they were doing a musical about her I just rolled my eyes. Who could possibly do her justice? I had seen Stephanie many times in Evita (my favourite musical) and knew she had the musical chops but please ..... Marilyn?! Well, did I soon eat my words. Stephanie was absolutely phenomenal in the role. Too good really because the whole show sank without her (I saw the understudy once). As much as I loved the original production of Blood Brothers in 1983, I do feel Stephanie should have won Best Actress in a Musical at the SWET Awards. She just inhabited that role. She did, however, win the Variety Club Award and the role really made her a Star with a capital 'S'. She was a remarkable artist and a wonderful woman and friend.
Jayar
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#9
Posted: 2/23/06 at 1:27pm
Jackie

Just tried to email you on you but it bounced back, can you email me your correct email address to jayarreddy@btinternet.com

I've just sent you a private message as well.

Love Jay xxxx

Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#10
Posted: 2/24/06 at 11:10am
Thanks so much! It is most aprreciated!!! Glad you both could reconnect too.

Deena
luvSteph
Swing
Swing
re: Marilyn with Stephanie Lawrence#11
Posted: 2/24/06 at 3:45pm
Hi Deena

Well, Jay and I haven't really lost touch. I am in LA and have been for almost 15 years now. Unfortunately, whenever he calls me I am out and by the time I have gotten home it is too late to call him back. Darn time difference.

I am glad that you started this dialogue regarding Marilyn though. Although not the best musical I have ever seen, it certainly was something very, very special. It had its heart in the right place and, as I said earlier, Stephanie was just phenomenal. The show brought so many blessings into my life - people I met there that I am still friends with. People I met subsequently because of other shows Steph went into .... and Stephanie herself. She was a joy to be around. I miss her every single day. It is gratifying to know that people still remember her and the tremendous gift that she brought to the West End.

Jackie

Page: 1