Page: 1

Victor Victoria at the Bridewell

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Victor Victoria at the Bridewell#0
Posted: 12/19/03 at 3:57am
I just received the Winter 2004 brochure from the Bridewell Theatre and was overjoyed to see that they are staging "Victor/Victoria" from January 8 to 31. The Bridewell has been one of my favourite theatres in London for many years and I have seen some quite outstanding productions of musicals at this deliciously intimate space (notably "Rags" in 2001, "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" in 2000 and "Saturday Night" in 1997.)

I saw V/V on Broadway with Julie Andrews and, although not one of my all time favourites by any means, it was a thoroughly enjoyable show. I am keen to see it again in the intimate Bridewell setting. The show has a number of good Henry Mancini/Leslie Bricusse songs (some from the original film, some written for the stage show) and 3 songs with music composed by Frank Wildhorn after the sad loss of Mancini to cancer. The highlight is a stunning eleven o'clock number by Wildhorn and Bricusse - "Living In The Shadows".

This production will feature the highly talented and for some strange reason highly under-rated Ria Jones (star of "Evita" on tour, "Les Mis", "Romance, Romance", etc. in the West End and the original Norma Desmond in the workshop productions of "Sunset Boulevard".)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
macbeth Profile Photomacbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Victor Victoria at the Bridewell#1
Posted: 12/19/03 at 7:32am
This was never one of my favorite shows either, but I'm intrigued that it might work better in a more intimate space. Ria Jones is certainly under-rated; it's nice to see her opening a show.
musicaltheatreman
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: Victor Victoria at the Bridewell#2
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:52pm
i think ruthie henshall would be awsome in this show!!!!!! :)