Page: 1

"Romeo & Juliet ~ the Musical" CD Review

Juliette Capulet
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
"Romeo & Juliet ~ the Musical" CD Review#0
Posted: 12/5/03 at 6:41pm
Why, oh God, WHY couldn’t they use the original music?

As I said in the “difference” section of my site [romeojuliette.cjb.net], the orchestrations are very different. The ones I think sound the most different are “Born to Hate”, “Kings of the World” “Born to Love”, “Two Different Worlds”, “All For Love”, “Word is on the street”, “Live”, “I Can’t Do This”, “God Knows Why”, and “Guilty”

But to be perfectly honest, they all sound like karaoke music or that they are made to be on that Kidz Bop CD that’s being sold in the States!

…Compared to the French and Belgian recordings of course. I’m sure I would have liked this music more if I hadn’t heard of it after my obsession began with the French and Belgian shows.

“Word is on the Street”, “Ugly or Beautiful” and “Live” sound almost unbearable! They all sound as if they were composed on one of those keyboards that have those funky sounds. “Live” sounds too fast. I also can’t stand the way Rachid says “stomach”. And the chorus singers sound horrible! They all sound like they are 5. And I don’t like how on “God Knows Why” they have the end verses sound up beat.

I like “Two Different Worlds”, “Guilty” and “Empty Sky” more then the originals. On the French “Coupables, I don’t like on that song how it sounds up beat at first and then slows down. On “Guilty” it’s reversed and I think for the better. Maybe it’s just the word “Coupables” though? I rather like “Schludig” from the Belgian.

For the lyrics, some were atrocious and some were really clever. A couple I liked where “I know in my heart you are the one” from Born to Love, “And the darkest of nights still managed to shine, the love disappeared, the memory stayed there’s still a glimmer of light in me that will never fade” from And Now She Is In Love, “If this is wrong I’ll take the blame, we’ll soon be together, morning will find us” “As I die I wonder, what’s to believe in” and “When dawn breaks tomorrow, they’ll be no bloodshed and no wars” from Where Rivers Keep Flowing. And a couple of the worst lyrics were “Her feelings and her hair have all been re-arranged” from And Now She Is In Love almost all of “Kings of the World”, and “Fools, men are fools, there like stubborn mules” from Guilty

And as for the performers:

Romeo/Andrew Bevis – His voice was really enjoyable at times, and at other times I thought he sounded like an annoying brat. One of the things I like about Damien so much is that his voice stays the same even when he hits the high notes. It doesn’t get all squeaky and vibrate when he hits the high notes like Andrew’s does.

Juliet/Lorna Want – I really liked her voice…she’s no Cécilia Cara, but she’s really good.

The Nurse/ Jane McDonald – I think she’s my favorite Nurse. Her voice is so full and powerful!

David Bardsley/ Lord Capulet – I didn’t like his voice. It sounded to Broadway mainstream. I like in the French how each of the actors had their own unique voice.

Michael Cormick/ The Prince – Again, it sounded to Broadway mainstream, but I liked it more then David’s.

Louise Davidson/ Lady Montague – I really liked her voice. Very powerful!

Benvolio/ Matt Dempsey – Matt and Rachid sound too much alike. At times he sounds very annoying, but then others he sounds good. There were also times I didn’t like the way he sang some of his lines. I really didn't like how he goes high at the end of "Ugly or Beautiful"! I quickly had to put in my French CD and here Grégori sing it normal...

Michele Hooper/ Lady Capulet – I didn’t like her voice at all. I don't think she can sing that well. And why the cast her for Lady Capulet I'll never know...They should have had Louise as LC as she and Lorna both have blonde hair and Louise can sing better. And then Michele as LM because LM doesn't sing as much as LC and Michele and Andrew both have brown hair...

Alexis James/ Tybalt – I liked his voice, but at times he sounded like a wannabe rock star.

Rachid Sabitri/ Mercutio – Sounds like Matt, I wasn’t to fond of his voice. The way he sings some of his lines really annoyed me.

Sevan Stephan/ Friar Lawrence – Like Jane, he’s probably my favorite Friar out of them all. He doesn’t have that Broadway mainstream voice, it sounds very unique.

All in all, the recording is good and I’m glad that they released the CD. I only wish that it had all the songs and that there were more pictures in the booklet, hahaha. I also kind thought it was funny that they spelt ‘Romeo’ the French ‘Roméo!

Tendres Baisers,
Juliette Capulet
macbeth Profile Photomacbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I missed this one but just took a look at your site, is it a modern retelling of the story?
Juliette Capulet
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
The original French production isn't. It just uses modern dialogue (not all the Shakespeare talk) and some bright colors in the costumes. Now, the London production had a mix of Renaissance, Victorian, Elizabethan, and 20th Century costumes with darker colors, along with modern dialogue.

Tendres Baisers,
Juliette Capulet
macbeth Profile Photomacbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sounds similar to West Side Story?
Juliette Capulet
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
lol, not quite. This is actually Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet' where they marry, Juliet takes the sleeping potion, and they both kill themseleves in the end re: re: re: re: 'Romeo & Juliet ~ the Musical' CD Review

Go look at the pictures on my site, or view the DVD advertisement in the videos section :)

Tendres Baisers,
Juliette Capulet

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just got the CD - and listening to it confirms my memories of when I saw the show. The music in some of the songs is quite beautiful - especially BORN TO LOVE, ALL DAYS ARE THE SAME WITHOUT LOVE, THESE ARE MY RIVERS and AND NOW SHE IS IN LOVE. But the lyrics are embarrassingly awful. I don't know whether it's the result of having to translate from the French - as I think Don Black has done great lyrical work over the years. (Notably THE BAR MITZVAH BOY, SUNSET BOULEVARD, BOMBAY DREAMS, TELL ME ON A SUNDAY, etc.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***