Page: 1

West End vs. Broadway

abfab
Swing
Swing
West End vs. Broadway#0
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:26pm
One thing I've always enjoyed more about theatre over here in London is the continuing stream of politically and socially relevant plays. Every time I've gone to visit Broadway, it seems as if the content is dumbed-down, and the spectacle is pumped up and there's a lot more musicals than plays.

Has anyone else noticed a similar trend?
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End vs. Broadway#1
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:56pm
Yes. When I first became a fan of Broadway, I thought all it is was musicals. The plays just don't get enough publicity. Now I am glad Broadway also has plays. Musicals would get boring...
CCM '10!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: West End vs. Broadway#2
Posted: 11/19/03 at 3:14am
Hi,
I feel too that the first feeling Broadway give me is about musicals only (I don't even have a thought of the plays!) because people always say Broadway musicals.... so this is the reason why. But WestEnd too! I only think of musicals! I dunno why.
My CHICAGO the musical group!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: West End vs. Broadway#3
Posted: 11/19/03 at 1:24pm
Yes, there are a lot of political plays here - right now, Democracy (Michael Frayn), Justifying War and The Permenant Way (David Hare). I think it's because to put something on in London is a much quicker process than on Broadway.. mainly becuase the budgets aren't on the same extortionate levels. If something fails in London then it fails, if it fails on Broadway people ask questions and the director/creative team are supposed to be disgraced or something.

Also, we're much free-er on what we say/do here. For example, in TABOO they used to practically harass the audience but on Broadway I think it was cut due to legal reasons. People don't sue each other all the time here!

Also, we had a show called XXX which supposedly had live sex scenes in it, but this was later quashed. It made front page headlines. I don't think that would ever happen on Broadway.
BoxOfficeJon Profile PhotoBoxOfficeJon Profile Photo
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: West End vs. Broadway#4
Posted: 11/21/03 at 1:28am
The other thing in the West End that seems to be enjoyed is horror or thriller plays.

The Woman in Black
...this is wrong on so many levels... Diane Lane in "Must Love Dogs" "If you have poo, now is the time to fling it" -- The Monkey's from Madagascar