Page: 1

Visiting soon--need some recommendations please!

midtowngym Profile Photomidtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hiya--
1. I'm coming 5/18-5/22 from NYC, and would like some recommendations.
2. Also, is Mary Poppins at the 1/2 price booth?

Gracias!
'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmmm... The Woman in White is good -- the newest Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. Anthony Andrews will be playing Count Fosco starting on Monday.

Mary Poppins... I doubt very much the show is on the 1/2 price booth. Every time I've walked past the theatre, the sold out sign has been up -- granted those times were on the weekend but still. However, Mary Poppins holds back 30 seats to be sold on the day of the performance. You need to get to the box office early, before the opening time of 10 a.m. -- friends recommended 9:30 a.m. to me -- and you'll get good seats.

I think Guys and Dolls will be opening in May -- if you want to see Ewan McGregor on the live stage, you might want to consider that.

Hope this helps.

midtowngym
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yes it does. I'll 'Poppin' on over to the box office early! I've seen Woman In White on my last trip. Any others?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mary Poppins is SOOOOO amazing!! Would really recommend you see it more than once. You've missed Jerry Springer - was a really good laugh, and very unlikely to open on broadway.
Practically Perfect Profile PhotoPractically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Mary Poppins is a great show, and if you get to the Box Office at 9.30 in the morning you'll definitely get good seats. You could also try an hour before the show. I did this two weeks ago and got the "producers seats," dead centre of the orchestra (stalls in England) and they were fantastic. However there have been adverts in newspapers saying that there are good seats available for week nights in May, so you could try booking before you come to England. Definitely see it, it's amazing.

Don't go to Billy Elliot, really hasn't got great feedback from friends of mine. Guys and Dolls with Ewan McGregor opens soon, not sure if it will be around on those dates - might be previewing. I'd recommend The Producers, but I assume you will have seen that on Broadway???

That's pretty much it for the UK - not a patch on Broadway...

Mary P x
jgph
Stand-by
Stand-by
the long runners are also worth a visit- phantom and les mis.

mamma mia and we will rock you are fun too- just dont go expecting anything deep! lol

woman in white is fantastically dark- a real treat.
Greekmusicalfan Profile PhotoGreekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, I can't recommend since I haven't seen them, but I can tell you which ones I chose for my trip next week ! Mary Poppins, Woman in White, Billy Elliot, We Will Rock You and Chitty Chitty ! Getting tickets online was very easy ! I got center stalls for all of them and in Rows B to E. But I was looking for a single ticket, which I guess is much easier ! And since you are going in June, I wouldn't miss Ewan !

Take care
poodleboy Profile Photopoodleboy Profile Photo
poodleboy
Understudy
Understudy
I will also be in London the week of May 18th-22nd. Don't forget about "On the Town". "Guys and Dolls" starts on May 19th.
Understudy
Understudy
guys and dolls starts previewing 20 may NOT 19 may as Ewan has the Star Wars premiere a few days b4, see BLOOD BROTHERS bloody fantastic but the touring version cast is better, only date available for G'N'D preview tickets according to the piccadilly box office is matinee on 25 may
Greekmusicalfan Profile PhotoGreekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Now that I am back I have to tell you that BILLY ELLIOT was absolutely fantastic !!! And Mary Popins is wonderful, but this and Billy are never on the tkts booth !
DinJ
Swing
Swing
My top 3 are : Blood Brothers, Women In White & We Will Rock you.
Whatever you choose be sure to check out http://www.broadwaybox.com/london since they have some nice discount codes for many of the shows mentioned here
Have Fun
midtowngym
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for your help all. I had a GREAT time! I saw Billy, Mary, Guys, Blood Wedding. I'm exhausted. I LOVE London and can't wait to return.
RSrichie Profile PhotoRSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
Understudy
Understudy
BILLY ELLIOTT- A MUST see A wonderful show! MARY P - Practically perfect! Avoid WOMAN IN WHITE-pathetic! BLOOD WEDDING - exciting GUYS & DOLLS incredible dancing & Jane Krakowski is going to be a mega-star Top notch production! SOME GIRL(S) ok the women are wonderful David Schwimmer uninteresting
BobbyRobbyBobbyBaby
Stand-by
Stand-by
Hey Everyone!

I'm thinking about visiting first week in June for the first time and am wondering which websites everyone uses to purchase tickets ahead of time. Broadwaybox doesn't have codes for Mary Poppins or Guys & Dolls and Death has expired.

Also, I didn't see "Death of a Salesman" recommended in this thread. Has anyone seen it?

Cheers!
rich
Something is stirring, Shifting ground... It's just begun. Edges are blurring All around, And yesterday is done.