Breaking News: Michael Ball to Fill in for Flu-Ridden Michael Crawford in London's Woman in White

jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It would be interesting to see Michael Ball in a completely different role. I will be there to see it in March with Michael B!
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
If people didn't recognize him as Jean Valjean until he sang they certainly won't recognize him as the Count
fleur
Understudy
Understudy
what is the point in MB doing the show for 6 wks for MC to come back for a month then leave for america, it would b better to let MC go now and let the show, cast and crew get back to normal
JP Profile PhotoJP Profile Photo
JP
Understudy
Understudy
Or is this just a prelude to Michael Ball being a part of the cast when this show goes to Broadway? It doesn't make sense to me for him to play the role on such a limited bases and then just move on.
nancipants
Swing
Swing
Vegaslady...what does he do about his already scheduled concerts this summer. How in the name of heaven is he supposed to juggle 8 shows a week and his hackneyed adoration tour? Let's not forget that MB has a tendency to get sick at the drop of a germ as well, so we are not exactly talking about ole reliable here. Actually, I am quite amused...he is now replacing a 62 year old. I guess his youth is now officially behind him. Maybe he can take the Pope's position when he can no longer handle it...I am sure MB's fans would swarm upon the Vatican like birds in a Hitchcock film.
JP
Understudy
Understudy
Well, I'm not an expert,nor do I know Mr. Ball's personal or professional plans, but I do believe that so far, the summer tour ends at the end of June. The Broadway venture is slated to open this November.
As for being reliable, wasn't he voted the most bankable performer on the West End not that long ago. That doesn't sound like a man that's unreliable to me.
This was just speculation on my part . . .sorry Nancipants it seems that the only feathers I ruffled are yours.
west end fan
Swing
Swing
I think, Vegaslady, that you have only voiced what is in a lot of other people's minds. There must have been some big sweetener to persuade Michael to step in at such short notice.

I do hope though that, while it was a valid reason for the same old songs being dished up in the concerts he did during his run in Chitty, this six week change to his schedule isn't used as an excuse to dish up the same old songs on the concert tour.

Nancipants, Michael isn't a Catholic so I think the Pope's position is quite safe.
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I must have missed something in all the talk about this topic. I was under the impression MB was doing this til MC got back on his feet. Hopefully in early April. I was also under the impression that the concert tour was scheduled in Late May and June. The Night of 1000 Voices in early May. I don't see where there would be any conflict at all. As far as doing the Broadway run when WIW moves to NYC in November, I don't know what one has to do with the other. Not all shows keep the same performers when going from West End to NYC or NYC to West End. I am sure that is for the producers to figure out. But I would be willing to bet MC would be doing the show in New York if he can. But I would also believe MB's reasons for doing the show are much the same as MC's were. A great, over the top, evil, sinister character. How fun. Who knows, we will have to wait and see.
fleur
Understudy
Understudy
MC has confirmed he will take WIW to NY, y they didn't stick to the understudy, i think its a publicity stunt to boost MB
fleur
Understudy
Understudy
MC has confirmed he will take WIW to NY, y they didn't stick to the understudy, i think its a publicity stunt to boost MB
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The old adage of give it to the understudy and they become a star is just that. An Adage. Doesn't happen too often. Plus there is a great deal of money at stake here. MB doesn't need to do it. He just chose to. Whatever his reasons I hope he does well and MC makes a full recovery. Then it looks like a win/win situation for all. MC keeps his part/London/NYC, the theatre-goers, and the producers. Plus the understudy keeps his job and maybe gets to go to NYC also. Who knows. I hope goes well for all involved
fleur
Understudy
Understudy
if i were the understudy i would b a bit p****d off about it all
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Maybe he might be p****** off. But he still has his job at the end of the day. Whether it is working with Michael Crawford or Michael Ball. He will still get some kind of chance and it will look great on his resume. Unlike most singer/actors who are out of work. He has a job. And a good one.
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think an understudy is meant to provide continuity in case of occasional absences by the original cast member, but not for a protracted absence like this one, especially in a major production like THE WOMAN IN WHITE.

As for me, I would not be making the effort to fly from Manila to London ( almost 15 flying hours) just to see an understudy in a supporting albeit pivotal character role in a musical. The show is not exactly sold out ( as I had relative ease in securing tickets for two dates) and perhaps needed a name musical theatre performer to sustain its box office standing especially during the winter months.

Moreover, I am interested to see Michael Ball handle a completely different role from what I had seen him play before ( Aspects of Love, Passion, and Chitty).
JP
Understudy
Understudy
I think it's going to be great to see Michael Ball in something so very new and different. I've heard that the role can be played a number of different ways - and it seems he enjoyed playing a lighter role. He said once he likes challenges so this role, I think, is perfect.
Understudy
Understudy
I agree I don't think MB needs to do this careerwise at all.I feel for the understudy but he is understudy,not replacement at least not yet..........maybe in the future perhaps.

As I understand it MC is due back on April 5th,then he continues until May sometime then he's eventually off to Broadway.If this is how it's going to happen it makes sense for him to get himself fit and then rejoin the show.

As for MB later in the year I'd like the chance to see his Valjean.
Updated On: 1/31/05 at 08:36 AM
fleur
Understudy
Understudy
i think it would b better for the producers to say right we've got r "name" for a replacement, say thankyou and good nite to mc and let mb do it till his concert tour and then do a total recast
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm also happy to see Michael Ball reunite with his co-star in PASSION, Maria Friedman.

A bit of irony, though, that in WOMAN IN WHITE -- it is going to be Michael who will appear "disfigured" this time, in contrast to Maria's makeup as Fosca in PASSION.
Updated On: 2/1/05 at 08:24 PM
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jo
I am so glad someone else saw the irony too. I thought about it the first time I heard the news.
Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
<< MC has confirmed he will take WIW to NY >>

He has not confirmed anything YET. I hope he does.

<< i think its a publicity stunt to boost MB >>

I think it's a publicity stunt to boost the show----as well as getting a talented performer who can probably do the part well.
Mollyfair
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
"I think it's a publicity stunt to boost the show----as well as getting a talented performer who can probably do the part well."

What a sensible comment!
sharon1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't know about the first part of the statement, but I have to agree with the second part.
fleur
Understudy
Understudy
well at least tubby ball will not need a fat suit
Lori
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Wow, for a minute I thought I was on WOS!

Fleur, thanks for the totally uninformed comment...you obviously haven't seen MB in quite some time.

Fantastic news...I'm glad to see Michael taking on a very different role. I'm anxious to see him perform with Maria as well Jo!
"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"
Updated On: 2/2/05 at 04:17 PM