Page: 1

anyone seen wicked? read the book?

IdinaMenzel#1fan Profile PhotoIdinaMenzel#1fan Profile Photo
IdinaMenzel#1fan
Swing
Swing
anyone seen wicked? read the book?#0
Posted: 8/2/04 at 2:24pm
Any opne here seen wicked? I read the book, have the music, memorized the music, have shirts and pictures,but I haven't seen it, my friend did in New York, and I am when it comes to my town
I love Idina Menzel! She is my idol, I have alwayse wanted to sing like her! @('.')@ he he, monkey
IdinaMenzel#1fan
Swing
Swing
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#1
Posted: 8/2/04 at 2:27pm
I have seen 19 musical plays in the last 4 years, I am a musical aholic
I love Idina Menzel! She is my idol, I have alwayse wanted to sing like her! @('.')@ he he, monkey
IdinaMenzel#1fan
Swing
Swing
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#2
Posted: 8/2/04 at 2:33pm
come on, ANSWER ME SOMEONE
POLisPOL Profile PhotoPOLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#3
Posted: 8/2/04 at 6:52pm
go to the broadway board in this site. They will tell you thousands of things about wicked
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#4
Posted: 8/3/04 at 7:52am
Read the book, saw the show. Loved em both.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
NDS34111
Swing
Swing
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#5
Posted: 8/3/04 at 9:21am
I read the book, own the soundtrack, have a copy of the script and have seen the OBC.

Although I was disappointed with the quality of the ensamble, the priciples were great and so was the overall production. I have heard some people complain that there is to much music and that causes you to lose your intrest but, I disagree. The music (melodiies and arrangement)is what makes the characters believable, especially since that stage adaptation is not really like the book.

I would not have wanted to be one of the Tony voters this year because I don't think I could have picked WICKED over Ave. Q and vice-versa.

dommc
Swing
Swing
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#6
Posted: 9/12/04 at 10:18am
Reading the book and I have the soundtrack.
The two don't seem to be alike at all. Which seems strange.
I like the song "Popular" but the others seem a bit drab and unformed musically.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#7
Posted: 9/16/04 at 5:32pm
Read the book (twice) and saw the musical. I loved the book when I first read it several years ago. The musical is cute, but almost entirely different. It took a dark political story and turned it into a kid-friendly comedy. It was ok, but certainly not the best show I saw on Broadway in July. I'm not really inclined to see it again. I'd rather read the book again.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#8
Posted: 9/16/04 at 7:56pm
I have to say that my take on things is quite the opposite of you, Mister Matt, I saw the musical during my trip back in May and loved it. That spurred me to buy and force myself read and finish the book, which I hated. I even did something I rarely do which was to give the book away.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?

D
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#9
Posted: 9/18/04 at 8:52pm
Seen the show four times, read the book, own the CD.

Not my favorite book score-wise (after the initial listenings, I often skip everything except the "big" songs, and Act two is pretty darn forgettable musicwise). And choreography is atrocious, seriously awful. The cast was great (last time I was there was Kristin Chenowith's last show), the production is huge and gorgeous, the story is very strong. But the show is smart and full of heart, and that's what keeps me coming back.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
FosseBoi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#10
Posted: 10/9/04 at 8:29pm
Saw the OBC, one word- AMAZINGLY AMAZING!!!! Idina Menzel is GOD!
The book is pretty good, nothing like the show.
Have everything they sell, well almost everything.re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?
"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#11
Posted: 10/12/04 at 4:07am
I saw Wicked when I was in New York last November. It was superb. I had read reviews which slaughtered the score and thought I was seeing a different show to what the critics described. The score is full of top class songs - far superior to the one dimensional Phantom, etc. I play the CD all the time.

I also saw Avenue Q, which I loved - but I think Wicked is a superior show on all levels.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 10/12/04 at 04:07 AM
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: anyone seen wicked? read the book?#12
Posted: 10/23/04 at 6:56am
I saw the show in August - and simply loved it!
Idina Menzel was amazing! Her songs 'The Wizard And I' and especially her thundering vocals in 'Defying Gravity' brought down the house. In the stunning end of 'Defying Gravity', the applauds started during that last long 'aaaahh!' and when it finally ended -closing Act one- the crowd just went crazy!!

Jennifer Laura Thompson was brilliant G(a)linda. I liked her singing better than Kristin Chenoweth's! JLT had the audience rolling on the seats with laughter during 'Popular'! It's just a pity all the dialogue of 'Popular' has been cut from the recording - it is soooooo funny! But on the other hand, that's why it is so funny, you don't know what's happening during the number.

I read the book before I saw the show, and the book was very different. Much darker tone.