Page: 1

Advice for Where to stay....

magictodo123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Advice for Where to stay....#1
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:04am

I'm planning a trip to London and I was wondering if anyone had advice on places to stay near the London theater district. Any suggestions or places to look? 

GreenKakapo Profile PhotoGreenKakapo Profile Photo
GreenKakapo
Swing
Swing
Advice for Where to stay....#2
Posted: 12/13/19 at 6:16am

Anywhere close to the West End will be generally quite good areas as they are so central - although they'll likely be very pricey. So it depends on your budget really and how much you'd want to balance cost/location/niceness of accommodation.

The West End is very well connected by the tube though - if your hotel/Airbnb is a short walk from a station that's on the same line as any of Leicester Square/Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Circus/Piccadilly Circus and is only a few stops down it will take you no time at all to get there. Transport is reasonablly cheap.

Generally the West (Notting Hill, Maida Vale etc) and North of London (Camden, Hampstead, Highgate etc) are seen as nicer but more expensive. The East (Shoreditch, Hoxton etc) and South (Brixton, Clapham etc) is more traditionally rough around the edges but becoming a lot more hipster in recent years. The centre is kind of what you'd expect for most big cities - but Oxford Circus/Picadilly etc is more the tourist centre, whereas Bank/Liverpool Street is more the business centre (so lots of workers on weekdays but quite dead on weekends). The further out you go the more mixed it will be - some lovely areas like Richmond, but some less so like Plaistowe.

BroadwayLuv2 Profile PhotoBroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Advice for Where to stay....#3
Posted: 12/15/19 at 12:51am
We like to stay at St Martins Lane Hotel. It’s not cheap but it’s very nice and close to a lot of theatres.
ggersten Profile Photoggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Advice for Where to stay....#4
Posted: 12/22/19 at 3:27pm

My spouse likes the Z Hotel Picadilly - small rooms, but there's wine and cheese each evening and the location is great. You can join their affinity club and save if you book on their website.

If you have a membership with discount - then Club Quarters Trafalgar works well.  But, could be pricey.

There's a not bad hotel down on The Strand which I found with pretty good discounts on either Hotels.com or Booking.com.  

There are a couple of less expensive chains - Premier Inn gets mentioned.   Try this thread: Theatrebooard Hotel Recommendations

BIG BALONEY Profile PhotoBIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Advice for Where to stay....#5
Posted: 1/3/20 at 4:39am
St.Giles London hotel , Bedford Ave. around the corner from DOMINION theatre has decent deals, worth looking into.You can walk to all theatres and a 10 minute bus to National theatre a block away. Tottenham Court Station tube a block away, supermarket across the street and a five block walk to British Museum. I've stayed there many times. Large breakfast room is extra and city view rooms consist of a small sitting room with second flat screen tv. I get special offers since they have my email. At times rooms are listed from 90 £ and up, depending on months chosen.

Theatrefan2
Stand-by
Stand-by
Advice for Where to stay....#6
Posted: 1/20/20 at 2:23am

i agree about the St. Giles. I just got back Thursday and stayed there.  I had the cityview and it really is not worth it convenience wise even though I got it very cheap about 6 months ago.  The classic double was actually more comfortable from the previous time.  There was no room for anything in the bedroom and no outlets near the bed for phones. Everything had to be placed in the "living room".   And the bedroom got hot because of its size.  So I was up and down with the heat.  But I would stay in the classic double.  Its a very convenient hotel and clean.

For a low budget hotel that is in a nice area and just the bus or district line away from the Theatre district  I would stay at the Premier Inn or Travelodge in Tower Hill not Tower Bridge.  I have stayed at both.  They are a block apart.  The length of the TL to the  PI. Cannot beat the view of seeing the Palace going and coming home. By bus its about 45 minutes to. St. Martins Lane and the theatres.  Train is faster you just have to walk up the big hill that is Embankment.

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement