Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#2
Posted: 4/13/11 at 7:17am
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#2
Posted: 4/13/11 at 8:06am
Did a 12 year old write that City Life review?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#3
Posted: 4/13/11 at 9:20am
A hit is on its way!

I know they have been in the theatre every single day from 11am right thru till the end of the evening show 6 days a week and it has changed dramatically as the time goes by.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#4
Posted: 4/13/11 at 9:30am
Definitely gonna book to see this in August. I think it'll make a great Summer show!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#5
Posted: 4/13/11 at 11:06am
Mamma they may be making changes that will be added in at some point but as of yet nothing has really changed....im sure its coming though
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#6
Posted: 4/15/11 at 4:17am
I don't know why - but I just can't get into this show at all!
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#7
Posted: 4/27/11 at 4:28am
Despite the inability to hear a lot of what was said/sung due to awful sound design I loved it.
The video Walls were fantastic, the leads are terrific and it moved very slickly.
The ball of wax song is still there, don't know if it's changed, it dosent fit as s&dman said at the start.

If they can sort the sound in the picadily it will be a huge hit, being very visual and having a known story means it should pick up the tourists in droves.

It was pretty full in the stalls, mostly the blue rinse crowd, for the matinee yesterday.

Will absolutly go again when it comes down.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#8
Posted: 4/27/11 at 9:00am
I watching again tonight (got some free tickets), its depressing to hear the sound is STILL not sorted, that should have been sorted straight away.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#9
Posted: 5/7/11 at 7:34am
I went in to see this expecting to see something better than Flashdance and what I saw was something as mediocre as Footloose. And when I say that, I'm referring specifically to the book and score: two dimensional characters that didn't involve me emotionally; uninspiring, forgettable music and the potter's wheel scene falls flat. When authors have to integrate a pre-existing popular song (Unchained Melody) into the score it is usually because they can't come up with anything better, and here that is definitely the case. And I really hate the way the authors are telling me in several published interviews I've read how well they've written this show. Hmmmmmm - everyone thinks their own work is good - guys, it's not up to you to decide! Let the independent critics and public be the judges. They need to come up with a lot better work before this goes in front of the London critics and I hope they're not deceived by the big, positive reception from the Manchester audience: I was reminded of the big, positive reception BatBoy got in Leeds.

The choreography is also dull and unimaginative and adds nothing to the show. WTF is all that slow motion walking about? I saw my mate doing some better moves in the back room at The Eagle later.

There are some good things in the show. The special effects are brilliant and these are the primary reason to see the show. As someone who has never worked in the theatre I really couldn't see how they managed to make the ghosts step out of the actors' bodies but it was very effective. The sets looked good but could have been lifted from Enron. However the sound system is still dire.

Another great thing about the show is the cast, particularly Caissie Levy who has a wonderful voice and does what she can with the material she's given. Sharon D Clarke is also superb, particularly in what I believe is known on Broadway as an 11 o'clock number (although they seem to happen at 10 o'clock). Anyway, Sharon's is called I'm Outta Here and it stops the show, not just because it's fun but also because it's irrelevant at a time when other key plotlines are developing fast. Adebayo Bolaji really caught my attention as the Subway Ghost even though his role is small and underdeveloped. Im normally a big fan of Andrew Langtree too - he does what he can with his two dimensional role but he's beginning to look as if he's been in the gym too long.

But in conclusion, it's still an empty box of tricks.

Updated On: 5/7/11 at 07:34 AM
peggyb
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#10
Posted: 5/7/11 at 8:25am
Not all the Manchester audience loved it-friends of ours agreed the special effects were impressive;they were very negative about the music.I decided not to bother.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#11
Posted: 5/7/11 at 9:25am
A slam from Scripps there, I expect the reviews to be very mixed in London, the special effects are meant to be amazing, which is a big plus in theatre and what makes theatre special.

Big bonus for me is that I have never seen the film, so the book is new on me.

I looked at tickets just out of curiosity, the agent the show is using is ticketmaster and you can select your seat, I have looked at off peak performances and the tickets for a preview

1, are expensive
2, crap selection on pick your seat.

However I have the feeling this will not be on TKT's for a long time.

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#12
Posted: 5/7/11 at 9:25am
A slam from Scripps there, I expect the reviews to be very mixed in London, the special effects are meant to be amazing, which is a big plus in theatre and what makes theatre special.

Big bonus for me is that I have never seen the film, so the book is new on me.

I looked at tickets just out of curiosity, the agent the show is using is Ticketmaster and you can select your seat, I have looked at off peak performances and the tickets for a preview

1, are expensive
2, crap selection on pick your seat.

However I have the feeling this will not be on TKT's for a long time.

Updated On: 5/7/11 at 09:25 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#13
Posted: 5/7/11 at 10:49am
Why do you expect reviews to be mixed because Scripps did not like it?

I have to say i could not disagree more Scripps. I felt more for the 2 lead roles than i had in a long time from any musical. The music i loved except 2 songs, the book is pretty much the same as the film, i do agree the Potters Wheel bit is not the best.

To me the effects in the show were pretty good, but it was the show itself i loved. We went to watch it again recently and agreed that we liked it even better this time (could have had something to do with the great seat we had).

I hated the choreography when i first watched it, after watching it again though from head on i could see exactly what they were trying to do with the choreogarphy (some bits still need changing though)
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#14
Posted: 5/7/11 at 2:21pm
Simply I do not think this is a show that will appeal to all the critics, bit like Priscilla and Sister Act.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#15
Posted: 5/7/11 at 2:35pm
Its nothing like Priscilla or Sister Act, those shows are campy night out musicals, Ghost is a love story with a lot of drama in

Have you actually seen the show?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#16
Posted: 5/7/11 at 6:58pm
I haven't seen ghost I look forward to seeing it though in London, if I can get a reasonable seat.

I didn't think Sister Act was camp!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#17
Posted: 5/8/11 at 6:50pm
"I didn't think Sister Act was camp! "

I hope to god thats a joke
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#18
Posted: 5/8/11 at 6:59pm
SADM, I have to be honest - I saw Sister act in the West End and on Broadway and I did not think it was even remotely "camp".
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#19
Posted: 5/8/11 at 7:56pm
This is gonna be bigger, in London, than 'Priscilla' and 'Sister Act' - remember that both of these have done more than a year in the West End with 'Priscilla' now nearing 4 years in the West End. (it certainly isn't leaving the Palace before next March!).
'Ghost' is gonna be huge.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#20
Posted: 5/8/11 at 9:15pm
How an earth can anyone in their right minds not think Sister Act was camp?, hell the movie was camp, Showgirl on the run hiding out in a convent and performing OTT gospel moments with the choir who could not sing yet suddenly turned amazing over night? add in songs, costumes covered in glitter and OTT panto villans and you have camp.

I aint saying thats a bad thing but it's camp
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#21
Posted: 5/8/11 at 9:26pm
What's 'camp'?
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#22
Posted: 5/8/11 at 11:51pm
I'm assuming when they say camp they mean sequins.....not canvas? Ghost - The Musical - press reviews
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#23
Posted: 5/9/11 at 5:45am
SADM, we obviously have two totally different definitions of the word "camp" lol. Coz the show I saw does not fit my understandiung of the word "camp" in any way at all.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ghost - The Musical - press reviews#24
Posted: 5/11/11 at 11:10am
Nice new poster for the West End version of Ghost. Only a few performances left in Manchester, the show has pretty much sold out every performance, hopefully a sign to come of what the future holds for this wonderful show in London
http://westend.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-GHOST-THE-MUSICAL-Poster-Revealed-20110511