Page: 1

The bridge is crossed so stand and watch it burn...

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have a bit of a weird (fangirl) question. In The Point of No Return in The Phantom of the Opera, The Phantom is supposed to do an impression of Piangi when he is under the hood in The Point of No Return, specifically, he's supposed to do an Italian accent.

John Owen-Jones does the accent (the only Phantom I've seen live) and I'm told Scott Davies did it too.

On the OLC recording, Michael Crawford doesn't do it, but I understand he "tried" doing it in the show.

Many of the Phantoms I have live recordings of also don't do it, but then few of them are London Phantoms.

Gerard Butler obviously doesn't do it in the movie.

So I'm wondering which Phantoms have been known to do the accent and when it all started? Is it also done on Broadway?

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLIME9D83zA
Updated On: 4/6/11 at 02:49 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As far as I remember, Michael Crawford did disguise his voice, but it was not a heavy accent.
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From what I've seen live (and I've seen many) most only do the accent for the "Passarino, go away for the trap is set and waits for its prey" then slip back to regular singing.

This scene has always puzzeled me, It is obvious to everyone that it is the Phantom. Sometimes christine acts like she knows it is him as soon as he starts singing, then at the same time is shocked to feal the mask under the cloak.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
It depends on who's the resident director at the time. Most Phantoms didn't do it, although Crawford did try, until around 2003 they got JOJ to use it (originally he did not). JOJ did it through the rest of his original run, and I think Earl Carpenter did it and maybe Ramin Karimloo in his early days (I can't remember). I don't think David Shannon did it at all, so maybe they've dropped it again.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well it's certainly back now with JOJ!