Trunchbull Transfers...Chicago for the Chokey?

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Royal Shakespeare Company have announced, this evening, that their world premiere production of Roald Dahlís Matilda, A Musical, is to transfer to Londonís West End in autumn 2011, for an open-ended run.

Trunchbull Transfers...Chicago for the Chokey?

Tickets will go on sale in May when further exciting details of the venue, performance dates and casting will also be announced.

So, I'll start the ball rolling...WHICH THEATRE!?

Updated On: 3/31/11 at 04:34 PM
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Trunchable Transfers...#2
Posted: 3/30/11 at 5:20pm
Cambridge?

(And "Trunchbull". Trunchable Transfers...)
Updated On: 3/30/11 at 05:20 PM
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchbull Transfers...#2
Posted: 3/30/11 at 5:26pm
Ooh, beg y' pardon!

Hmm, I think Aldwych - I don't see any reason for Chicago moving or closing.
Updated On: 3/31/11 at 05:26 PM
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#3
Posted: 3/30/11 at 5:47pm
Matilda to Cambridge
Chicago to Aldwych

Thats the rumour anyway
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#4
Posted: 3/30/11 at 6:01pm
Yes, I just don't see why that would happen...
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#5
Posted: 3/30/11 at 6:28pm
Matilda to Cambridge.
Chicago touring. Def. NOT going to the Aldwych, may take another house (Gielgud if Umbrellas bombs as is anticipated?)
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#6
Posted: 3/30/11 at 6:35pm
Again, I just don't really see the point...it selling well where it is, it would be a stupid idea to mount a tour and not carry on the West-End production. Why can't Matilda just go to the Aldwych?
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Trunchable Transfers...#7
Posted: 3/30/11 at 8:20pm
The story is that it's because Matilda needs a centre aisle. I know for certain that Matilda *does* need a centre aisle (in its current staging anyway), what I don't know is whether it would be possible for the Aldwych to accomodate that. I will definitely miss the intimacy of the Courtyard thrust stage, wherever it goes.

Remember also that the Cambridge and Aldwych theatres are under different ownership, so that surely makes a difference. Chicago has moved before to let another show in, so I don't see why it couldn't do so again. Not sure how well it is doing these days, there are lots of offers around and there were lots of empty seats in the stalls when I saw it last year.
Updated On: 3/30/11 at 08:20 PM
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Trunchable Transfers...#8
Posted: 3/31/11 at 1:45am
According to the Stage, they're auditioning for child actors, so part of it will be a new cast.
Everything in life...is only for now.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#9
Posted: 3/31/11 at 4:57am
It is to do with the centre aisle. The Aldwych doesn't have one and they can't rework without the theatre having a centre aisle... so the Aldwych is a no go.

They want to Cambridge but there a massive problem with getting RUG to release Chicago from its group of theatres due to some contract. The good thing is Nederlander is involved with Chicago and originally it was Nederlander that secured The Adelphi for Chicagos London opening (they also own half the Adelphi aswell as all of the Aldwych)

Nederlander was very keen to bring Matilda to The Aldywch and I've a feeling they maybe involved in producing the transfer to London - so it would suprise be if they are being as helpful as possible. I also heard Nederlanders were backing it to open at The Adelphi but I doubt ALW will let LND goe that quick...(shame I'd love to see that happen!)

I'd say its a good bet to say Matilda will open at The Cambridge and Chicago will move to its thrid London home this Autumn...
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#10
Posted: 3/31/11 at 7:39am
Just an opinion

Chicago doesn't have the biggest and complex set, so would be very simple to move.

Chicago doesn't sell out anymore, so why have such a big theatre?

Cambridge is a bigger theatre than the Aldwych.

Matilda will sell all is's tickets for it's initial run anyway.

No brainer Matilda is going to the Cambridge.

Alternatively the Palace has a centre aisle and Priscilla, has had a glorious run and won't be around for ever.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Trunchable Transfers...#11
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:11am
First of all - this doesn't seem official yet, as I can't find a press release; nothing has mentioned on the RSC website other than the fact it's coming to London.

But - yes - I've heard that they've been into the Cambridge looking at sight lines, space under the stage for the desks and all that. It does need a central aisle, so that's why they're going to do it into the Cambridge, and move Chicago to the Aldwych - as there's nothing to move, really - other than a box and a few props!

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#12
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:32am
If they want the Aldwych, a centre aisle will be no problem,
Seating can be rearranged for a production at very little extra cost. Its been done many times before.
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Trunchable Transfers...#13
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:45am
^ Didn't Nicholas Nickleby have a centre aisle? That was at the Aldwych. But honestly, unless by virtue of co-incidence, the Aldwych rumour has very little basis in fact. Trunchable Transfers...

I've heard the Cambridge rumour a lot, but the only vaguely reputable source I've heard said they were looking at the Palace. This was a few months ago though, so could well have changed.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#14
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:58am
I thought that Mama regarding seating, the only thing I can think would be it would take out maybe 50 seats means less seats to sell making margins tighter??

Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#15
Posted: 3/31/11 at 9:59am
Isn't the Aldwych much smaller though - I should imagine removing a proportion of the top price seats for a centre aisle might impact on the 'profitability' of the house....

Frankly I don't care, I'm just happy it's coming to London Trunchable Transfers...

EDIT: AnythingGoes2 beat me to it!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 3/31/11 at 09:59 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#16
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:06am
I was at the Palace last week and 'Priscilla wont be out of there before 2012.
Its doing business in its 3rd year that they only dreamt of when it opened!

The show looked pretty good and a near full audience on a Thurs lapped it up from note one of the overture!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#17
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:48am
Priscilla seems to be building year on year - which is great.

I say lets start a petition to Matilda in the Adelphi so it hasn't a decent show in there Trunchable Transfers...
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#18
Posted: 3/31/11 at 11:03am
A perfect example of how a theatre can be re-seated for a production if the producers are willing to take the gamble on that extra expense....

Apollo Victoria Theatre for 8 years of 'Starlight Express'.
Trunchable Transfers...

..and its seating now.
Trunchable Transfers...

For 'Starlight' its capacity was just over 1200 seats!
Now, for 'Wicked' its well over 2200.

Prior to 'Starlight' opening the Apollo Victoria had a centre aisle from front to back, it was reconfigured after 'Starlight' and its major renovation.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#19
Posted: 3/31/11 at 11:22am
Think the Victoria Palace is a fine example of a 'thust' stage, for Starlight Express? it must of cost the producers a fortune in rent as I would of thought the theatre company that owned the Victotria Appolo would of charged rent on the the theatre having 2200 seats?

'Priscilla seems to be building year on year - which is great.'

I certainly agree with that and I would echo the same for 'The Jersey Boys'? The Prince Edward would be a good fit for Matilda?

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#20
Posted: 3/31/11 at 11:28am
At the time 'Starlight Express' went into the Apollo Victoria the owners, Apollo Leisure, were glad to take anything in.
When they bought it and renovated it at great expense in the early 80s it had a run as a half successful concert venue with a few big name revivals of 'The Sound Of Music', 'Camelot', 'Fiddler On The Roof' thrown in that didn't take off the way it had been hoped.

POL, the Victoria Palace is a pros arch theatre.
The Apollo Victoria was really a pros arch stage for 'Starlight' as they only performed the races into the auditorium, the main action was on the main full stage.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#21
Posted: 3/31/11 at 12:42pm
The stage of the Apollo Victoria is surprisenly small for a 2000 seater theatre, Wicked did a good job getting the set on that stage.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#22
Posted: 3/31/11 at 1:04pm
Simply because it was built as a cinema with no theatre facilities except a few dressing rooms for the 'cine-variety' days..
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#23
Posted: 3/31/11 at 3:27pm
The Cambridge has about 30 more seats than the Aldywch. Which is why I don't buy the size thing.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trunchable Transfers...#24
Posted: 3/31/11 at 3:29pm
Clap, Change the title of this thread darling to something about Matilda!!!
ta x